Author Topic: Welcome to Mike (Federation of British Bonsai Societies)  (Read 2796 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcome to Mike (Federation of British Bonsai Societies)
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
Welcome to our Ideas Genie Community forum, Mike (username Bonsai4me)

I'm delighted that you have joined us here, and now that you are a member I hope we can attract more Bonsai enthusiasts to register and make the Bonsai Corner board as active as you folk are!

I can see on the internet that Bonsai is a very popular pursuit, and I'm sure the members here will follow the postings closely. Who knows, we may find some of our members taking up Bonsai as a result of the forum topics.
Perhaps some have Bonsai specimens already?

By way of introduction, Mike is part of the Federation of British Bonsai Societies
http://www.fobbsbonsai.co.uk/
I met Mike at Chelsea Flower Show in May 2008. He was manning the  FOBBS stand (very VERY impressive)
I had a chat and told him about Bonsai Genie. I had a copy of IG pro in my "kit" so I presented him with a copy for evaluation (didnt have a copy of Bonsai Genie with me).
He had a go, and gave me very good feedback, very constructive and very valuable.
He didnt have any spare time to take it further at that time.

I'm pleased to say Mike was very receptive to my recent email, and we have moved along in leaps and bounds.
I sent Mike a copy of the very same edition of Bonsai Genie last week. He works fast! Its installed and registered and we are working together to move the Bonsai Genie system forward, based on his recommendations and specifications.
Needless to say, I'm very excited about this new project.

I will start a new thread to announce the new Bonsai Genie project, and to allow all members to participate.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:03:45 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Welcome to Mike (Federation of British Bonsai Societies)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
Welcome Mike.

I'm sure George is correct when he says Bonsai is a popular pursuit, as has been evident by the most recent purchases of George's Bonsai Genie software.

Personally, I love the Bonsai trees, so correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but I think it can be a very expensive pursuit too.

From my limited knowledge, I suppose if you buy an established plant then they are expensive.  If you start off small, they are probably cheaper but take a lot longer to grow. Is this the case?  If you could give us an idea of the approximate cost of getting started then that would be very helpful.

We'd all love to hear your expertise on this subject, and maybe as a result it will kindle some of our other members' interest.  :)

Anyway, we hope you enjoy your experience here and find the time to contribute to the Forum's activities.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:08:36 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline bonsai4all

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »
Hi everyone and thanks for such a warm welcome.

George has caught me at a good time to review Bonsai Genie, UK is the grip of a cold snap and there is little to do outside during January; if there is a job I have little inclination.

Anyway, I have been slowly getting to grips with the software and to be honest at first glance I had thought it was a database creation application but on further inspection have found that it has a much more practical set of features.  It reflects George's years of hard work and I will try to contribute in whatever way I can.

Meanwhile, I have posted a few images of the FoBBS display at Chelsea last year when I met up with George.

http://www.ideasforgardens.net/mikesmith/

Now back to Laurie's question on bonsai, costs and getting started.

Yes it can indeed be expensive if you want to jump right in at the top end and buy a fully refined specimen.  Prices often reflect the work that has been carried out, how long the bonsai has been in cultivation, importation taxes if it is a dealer and other qualitative characteristics which I won't go into here.  However, bonsai can be a relatively inexpensive pursuit.

Most of our members, and I suspect most of modern society, do not have the spare income to buy an expensive piece of art work as it is often considered. Indeed, I would not recommend beginners splashing out a lot of money until they are confident in their horticultural skills and life style. So, how to get going.

Bonsai is 70% horticulture, 30% creativity.  If you are already a keen gardener and are used to growing plants in containers then you are half way there.  If not then I would recommend buying an inexpensive woody plant and keep it in its container for a year.  If it is still alive at the end of next Spring then your lifestyle and plant skills are suited to bonsai work.

For a beginner to get started cheaply I will stick to 2 options there are other choices but I will try to keep this short.

Option 1
There are a number of bonsai traders around which can sell cheap imports, the sort you might sometime see in shopping malls and market stalls.  These are not the greatest quality and I often find them ugly but they are cheap (around £15 or cheaper in UK) and are a good way to start and practice techniques.  Then if all goes horribly wrong little is lost.  The sort of plants I am talking about are chinese elms and chinese privett.  They are often styled in contorted shapes usually because this is the favoured style in China, Japan has a more naturalistic approach but that is a discussion for another day.  These bonsai will lack finesse and the pots will not be that attractive in my view but ignore this as this is a means to an end.

Option 2
If you are feeling creative you can make your own. Trawl around your local garden centre and look at the selection of Cotoneaster or similar small leaved shrub.  When choosing look for a good taper in the trunk, nothing too straight and a good number of branches on which to work.  This sort of starter material can cost around £10 in UK.  A bonsai pot to suit can cost the same but remember it does not need to be a bonsai pot just yet almost any similar type of container will do.  Just ensure it has enough drainage holes and it looks good.
Styling of the material then consists of selecting the branches so that they are distributed evenly staggered around and along the trunk.  Use the impact of sunlight as your guide, for example try to avoid branches over shadowing each other.  There is a huge amount written on bonsai design but it is early days yet.
Potting on should be a simple matter of moving the plant from its plastic container to the pot you have chosen.  Do this early in the season.  Again there are things for consideration but later.

So that should get folks started.

It now just remains to get into the right frame of mind.  I often use the analogy that bonsai work is similar to restoring a classic car.  A little work is done every so often and at the appropriate season, then over time you will create the thing of beauty you hade hoped for.

Go create

Mike

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:26:54 PM by bonsai4all »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
Thank you Mike for that detailed piece of insight into starting a Bonsai project.  :)

It has certainly given me food for thought, and hopefully it has sparked an interest in some of our other members too.

We'll be very interested in your further input to keep any potential member Bonsai projects on track.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that for us.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
RE: (from Mike)
Anyway, I have been slowly getting to grips with the software
My, you are a modest man, Mike
I posted Bonsai Genie to you last Wednesday, so you received it Thu, earliest.
Five days later, you have completed Chapters 1 to 3 of the User Guide and Sessions 1 and 2 of the advanced - which produced a world first - the first Bonsai Web Site, created with the Bonsai Genie WPG (its the same as the IG Pro one of course)
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/mikesmith/
I'm amazed! Its a fantastic job  8)

The "material" is fantastic. Gorgeous specimens, and a very interesting write up in your introduction and on each specimen.
Thanks for posting the link here. I was about to ask your permission to do that!

One thing I'd forgotten about, and I see its worked! At the bottom of the page it says This web page created using Bonsai Genie
For use IG Pro'ers, t says This web page created using IG Pro so its good to see that worked.

Thats a great article youve written to when our appetite. Its certainly inspirational.

Keep up the good work. I'm off to answer your email now  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:06:13 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Fukien Man

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:01:28 AM »
Welcome fellow Bonsai-er!! Hello from the United states.
Glad to know that there will be others in the Bonsai site.
The website is very impressive. I hope when I get my software I can do as well.

Steve