Author Topic: Welcoming our new Bonsai Genie user  (Read 2810 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcoming our new Bonsai Genie user
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »
Hello and welcome to our Ideas Genie Community forum, Steven  :)

Steven is awaiting delivery of Bonsai Genie, which we expect to arrive on Monday or shortly afterwards. In the meantime, he has downloaded Flower Genie and is playing with that item.

I have to say I was quite alarmed at your choice of User Name Steven  :D but after a quick (more like frantic) surf I found this:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/fukien.html
and it tells us:
Fukien tea - Carmona microphylla or Ehretia microphylla
General Information: A very small genus of tropical tree which was once referred to (and still often listed as) Carmona. The most widely known Ehretia species is the Fukien tea, a tropical shrub originating in Southern China and other parts of Southeast Asia. It is very popular for bonsai in China, but not a traditional favorite in Japan. It can be grown outdoors in warm climates, but is quite popular as an indoor bonsai. Ehretia anacua, a recent addition to bonsai, is more resistant to heat and draught.
Phew!
The web page goes on to explain how to care for specimens of that plant used for Bonsai

Having explained that to our other members, I'd absolutely delighted that youve joined us here.

In one his first emails, Steven informed me that he is the Corresponding secretary of the local Bonsai Society in Colorado; Pikes Peak Bonsai Society. http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PikesPeakBonsai.html
His mother started the society back in 1987.

Steven has sparked a new review of Bonsai Genie.
After he placed his order, I decided to make contact with Mike Smith of the Federation of British Bonsai Societies
http://www.fobbsbonsai.co.uk/
I met Mike at Chelsea Flower Show in May 2008. He was manning the  FOBBS stand (very VERY impressive)
I had a chat and told him about Bonsai Genie. I had a copy of IG pro in my "kit" so I presented him with a copy for evaluation (didnt have a copy of Bonsai Genie with me).
He had a go, and gave me very good feedback, very constructive and very valuable.
He didnt have any spare time to take it further at that time.

I'm pleased to say Mike was very receptive to my recent email, and we have moved along in leaps and bounds.
On the same day as despatching Stevens CD, I sent Mike a copy of the very same (latest) edition.
He works fast! Its installed and registered and we are working together to move the Bonsai Genie system forward, based on his recommendations and specifications.
Needless to say, I'm very excited about this new project.

Our Ideas Genie Pro users here will be on the same wavelength, as all the programs in IG Pro are included in Bonsai Genie. That system has a number of extra programs, which deal with the special requirements of caring for Bonsai.

To kill two birds with one stone, Ive been writing up some (very much overdue) instructions on how to use Bonsai Genie.
With no more ado, please visit the Bonsai Genie website:
http://www.garden-software.co.uk/Bonsai/
Have a look at what Ive written in User Comments. Its frank and honest.
Then have a look at the User Guide.
Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 is also applicable to IG Pro.
Im mid way through Lesson 3, which is Bonsai orientated.
Next it will be (fanfare) Tasks, Events and lots of other IG Pro Lessons, as promised in another topic on the forum.
We can all move forward together on this series of Chapters in the User Guide.
Mike has already completed Chapter 1 and 2.

So, its game on folk!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:35:03 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Welcoming our new Bonsai Genie user
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to our Ideas Genie Community forum, Steven  :)

I have to say I was quite alarmed at your choice of User Name  :D but after a quick (more like frantic) surf I found this:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/fukien.html
and it tells us:
Fukien tea - Carmona microphylla or Ehretia microphylla
General Information: A very small genus of tropical tree which was once referred to (and still often listed as) Carmona. The most widely known Ehretia species is the Fukien tea, a tropical shrub originating in Southern China and other parts of Southeast Asia. It is very popular for bonsai in China, but not a traditional favorite in Japan. It can be grown outdoors in warm climates, but is quite popular as an indoor bonsai. Ehretia anacua, a recent addition to bonsai, is more resistant to heat and draught.
Phew!

Having explained that to our other members, I'd absolutely delighted that youve joined us here.

Steven is awaiting delivery of Bonsai Genie, which we expect to arrive on Monday or shortly afterwards. In theeantime, he has downloaded Flower Gneie and is playing with that item.

I spoted the name aswell and looked twice  :D welecome steven Fukien Man (checks spelling then rechecks  ;) )

Offline Fukien Man

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 05:42:46 AM »
I do apologize fellow members. I never even gave it another thought when I chose that name. It is so second nature to me as that is one of my favorite Bonsai trees. But I suppose it could have been worse!! LOL

I hope to be back here often once there are a few more people using the Bonsai genie. Looking forward to getting it installed.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
I also echo George and Phil's startled comments, but having said that I wish you well Steven with your Bonsai program and hope to hear more from you on the Forum.  :)

Laurie.