Author Topic: Welcome to the very first Ideas Genie user  (Read 2997 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcome to the very first Ideas Genie user
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:10:40 PM »
I'd like to extend a very warm welcome to a very special member.
JohnRyden was the very VERY first Ideas Genie customer.
In those days, I didn't have a shopping cart, and relied on customers sending a cheque by snail mail!
Mind you, there wasn't much confidence in on-line shopping in those days. Isn't it amazing the difference in our buying habits in a very short time.
Surprisingly, my next order was from California, USA, so the old snail mail worked OK back then!

Johns order arrived in June 2001, but not despatched until the end of August 01 as I worked frantically to get it completed.
John found the software a bit complex, and we lost contact for a few years. I decided to make contact again last year to get John back on board.
He's now using Flower Genie and I hope hes enjoying that item of software. I owe John an FG version of "The Lost Gardens of Heligan" as he has some photos taken there to add to my collection.

I see John on-line tonight, so John, if you spot this message - thank you ever so much for your support way back in 2001, and I hope you enjoy it here. You are a bit of a celebrity!

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Welcome to the very first Ideas Genie user
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »
I did finally manage to write a program to convert "The Lost Gardens of Heligan" database from IG format to IG format and sent the copy to John.

Does anyone else have photos taken at Heligan in their personal collection? It would be nice to pull them together as a joint exercise as a winter project.

Ive been in contact with John this week and hes now having a look at IG Pro.
Just follow the "Challenges" here on the forum John and hopefully you will find them an easy introduction to some of the more subtle features in the system.

Say Hello folk and give this special member a warm welcome.

Offline johnryden

• My Garden on MyFolia
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I have a small garden some 500 feet up in the Pennines outside Huddersfield, Yorkshire.  We have lived here 9 years now and are just about getting the back garden in some sort of shape.  I started with Ideas Genie a long time ago, but switched to Flower Genie and have the garden in the Flower Genie database - around 200 separate entries at the moment.  Just started to look again now at Ideas Genie Pro to see how I can use this as I develop the garden further.  Wish me luck!

John

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
As you may have noticed, I set "Challenges" to our members here when someone raises a question and I describe the steps how to do it in IG Pro etc.
You've reversed the roles in your email earlier, John!
My challenge is to provide an Upgrade program to convert a FG database (yours and others of course) to IG Pro!
It dried up here and I spent a few hours in the garden and now off to watch the football, so it will be tomorrow before I begin.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to see you've made your first posting. You've come to the right place. Hopefully you wont have to rely too much on luck, John. Nothing I like better than to answer questions from anyone who is delving into the software.

As for gardening, well, I think you'll be inspired by the things our members have achieved. I'm in awe!
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your plant collection. What are your favourites?