Author Topic: Web page generation  (Read 7460 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Web page generation
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »
Now, now, now, Lyn and Malcolm ... this is nice!
Your "page" is nearly a work of reference.
I use your list to determinate some of my own plants. As the pictures are very well taken and enable me to see the different parts of the plants I could make the difference between i.a. Ratibida pinnata and Rudbeckia lacinata 'Herbstsonne'.
Well done!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:31:34 PM by greenfinger »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 07:48:04 PM »

Hello Greenfinger

I am glad you are finding our plant list usefull, it is going to take a longish time to get all the plants together with pictures and descriptions.

I have added another 40 pictures during this weekend.

We must all thank George for dreaming up the software to do this.

And Best wishes to you Greenfinger at 94 years old.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
RE:
And Best wishes to you Greenfinger at 94 years old.
That Greenfinger has a sense of humour - don't believe everything you read. Perhaps he's dyslexic?  ;)

RE:
We must all thank George for dreaming up the software to do this.
Well, thank you. It was just another one of those (MANY) hare brained ideas. The WPG seems to be one of the better ones  :)
I'm really enjoying the work you folk are doing - Laurie, our "old" friend André etc, etc.
And... the good news is - theres lots more to come!

I notice you have mastered "whats behind" the More button in GA032S08, Malcolm. I noticed one plant with 2 photos in the list today! (Aloe 'Saponaria' )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:46:58 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »

"Lots more to come", any guesses what that may be ? anyone.

Have had some good reports already about the new web pages.

George
Would it be infringeing your copyright to add keywords for search engines, on the index page produced by the WPG.

GW coming on the 3rd Sept, for the WHOLE day !!!  ::)

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »
RE:
any guesses what that may be ?
Ha! Well, Ive a few projects ticking along for a start,and theres also a few "unfinished symphonies" out there by other users. Ive been doing a wee bit of coaxing behind the scenes  ;)

RE:
Have had some good reports already about the new web pages.
Thats really good news.Mind you, I'm not surprised, with the material your putting up there!
Keep up the good work!

I hope you have plenty of bandwidth! Ive been giving the link to a few colleagues. They like what they see, so you can be sure so will others!

RE:
Would it be infringing your copyright to add keywords for search engines, on the index page produced by the WPG.
Do you mean in the header HTML?
If yes, give me a few suggestions.

RE:
GW coming on the 3rd Sept
Well, I hope the weather is favourable, both before and during the event.
Exciting stuff, Lyn and Malcolm. To think - we knew you before you were famous  :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »

Ive a few projects ticking along for a start,and theres also a few "unfinished symphonies

So who looks after your garden when you are doing all this ?

Do you mean in the header HTML?

Yes George.
 I didn't want to infringe your copyright, I can put it in myself, if it is ok. Users web pages would use different words, what words to use, well thats the big question. I saw on our hit counter that someone had searched for GARDEN, which had produced 640,000 results ;D

Just had a thought, if I did put keywords into the header, then everytime I reload the pages, the page would revert back to your original html.

To think - we knew you before you were famous 

If we were famous then we could charge the beeb to film the garden ;D

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
RE:
So who looks after your garden when you are doing all this ?
My dog. He's a free range guy. Very well trained. He never steps into a flower border when I'm looking  :)
However, throw a ball and its line of flight. I call him the propagator. I gather up broken pieces and propagate. Most of them take! He seems to know when to break a few surplus bits off a plant  ::)
Both have been rather neglected at times, but I have tried to refrain from development more this year, and given a bit more attention to them both.

RE:
Just had a thought, if I did put keywords into the header, then everytime I reload the pages, the page would revert back to your original html.
Unfortunately that is the case.
However, come up with some generic words, and I'll put that in the Meta statement in the Web Files.
Other members please - lets have your suggestions.

Note: In the next release of the software, I could put another option in the WPG to allow you to do Meta tags. However, it might be a bit confusing to new users.

I'm pretty certain you'll get lots of hits from the content of your pages, so there may be little need to tinker with the Meta tags.
Your plant names are magnets.
If you give your images the same names as your plants, that will attract Image hunters - arguably, not such a good idea, as your image is  displayed, not your entire web page.
The content you put in the Review text for each plant will also be indexed by the search engines.
Put your own personal appraisal in the Review text. That way, theres no copyright problem, and its much more interesting to the visitor.
That was the real (initial) purpose of GA032 (the reviews program). The WPG was an afterthought, but as it happened, a very natural progression.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:26:33 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
RE:
Unfortunately that is the case.
However, come up with some generic words, and I'll put that in the Meta statement in the Web Files.
Other members please - lets have your suggestions.

I tend to agree with your thinking here George.  No disrespect to Malcolm, but I think you need to keep it simple, bearing in mind that novice computer users are using this software, and have little or no knowledge of HTML coding.

As you know, Kathy and I are web site designers and have a good knowledge of HTML.  If you're designing a web site with an independent HTML Editor program, and not using IG Pro, then the sky's your limit for using Meta Tags for web crawlers and Search Engines to pick out your web page content.

We must remember that IG Pro does a fantastic job as it is now and meets the needs of all skill levels, as it does all the 'behind the scenes' coding for you.  So the Review text, as George suggested, is the best place to get your keywords specific to your site in there, with the program as it stands now.

Let's face it, if the same keywords are in Meta Tags of every version of IG Pro, that everyone is using to publish their sites, then your site won't stand out amongst the rest.

I'd like to hear other members' ideas on this topic, just so we have a broader range of opinion.

Laurie.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:05:38 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
Lyn and Malcolm , we've been so busy with other things just recently that we haven't had chance to congratulate you on your Gardener's World segment coming up (mentioned earlier in this thread).  We hope all goes well.  8)

It may be a good idea if you could start off a new topic in Our Gardens / Opening your garden to a tour section of the Forum.

This is a topic that could generate a lot of interest and therefore more postings, so it's better to have it in its correct place.

This way it will make it easier to follow your progress, and for any of our other members to find out what's involved if they are thinking about showing their gardens to the public.  :)

Keeps everything nice and tidy.  :D

Laurie.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:55:56 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »

Laurie

Re the meta tags, yes I will leave the pages as they are, I will slowly fill in the review text, and see what happens to the visitor count.
I quite agree that different peoples web pages produced by ig pro, would need different meta tags. I initially was sounding out George to see if he would be happy for anyone to add meta tags to the wpg output.

I was aware that some of my comments were off topic in my postings, and I will start a thread in "Our Gardens" to keep things tidy.

Best wishes to you both

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:35 PM »
The Meta tags might not be a big change, folk.

Last time I checked this out (a long time ago) Google liked to see the words in the Meta Tags actually appearing in the document.
Thus, generic meta tags would not be Google friendly.
Maybe I'm out of date on this - please comment if you have info.

I could make it so the user can edit to suit their own content.
That way the user can put words in the Meta tags to match the document content e.g. the review text etc.

However, are you thinking of putting Meta tags for each one of your 1000+ web pages Malcolm?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »

However, are you thinking of putting Meta tags for each one of your 1000+ web pages Malcolm?

No way George, it is enough work to get the pictures together, then I have the reviews, I am 60 now, I haven't that much time left  :o

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
OK, I'll put that one on the "Not urgent but nice to have" list  ;D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
On page one of this thread George gave this tip

One wee thing - you can put the link to your web site in the Gardens : Where to see this Plant: section of each page showing a plant.
Theres a quick way to do it.
In Screen GA032S04, click Step 6
In screen GA032S09, Under Gardens where this plant can be seen, click Add
In screen GA032S07, and click Add
Back in screen GA032S09,click Global
Use the pop-up to select Gardens URLS
Click on your URL link in the list on the left
Now Multi select in the plants list on the right
Then click the Arrow Right button at the bottom middle of the screen

It worked fine, thanks George.

Since then I have been adding more pages, and need to do the same to the new pages.
What is the best way to do this please.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
Its exactly the same instructions Malcolm.

In your case, where Gardens : Where to see this Plant: is the same for each and every plant, then you only need to do the steps up to clicking Global once.

Once you have the URL defined - then for other pages, you jump and start at the point where you click Global.

Is that OK?

P.S.!
I'm posting updates to GA032 Malcolm, perhaps later this evening
Ive written up dcumentation, but its on another computer. Tomorrow...  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:47:43 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
Once you have the URL defined - then for other pages, you jump and start at the point where you click Global

So the URL is defined, if I go straight to GA032S09 I can't see a Global Button.

Don't worry about it now George, will see what your update will be doing later.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:14 PM »
Ah!
At time of posting, In GA032S09 you have only one Global button
Its above the caption Gardens where this plant can be seen
That one global button works for both Supplier URLs and Garden URLs

I'll make a change right now (to be included in the updates)!
I'll put another button at the bottom, under the Garden URL's list

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »

I'll make a change right now

It's getting late. Time for your bed.  :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »

:)Thank you George for adding those extra buttons in GA032S09 It makes the job a lot clearer.

Have just used the buttons to add the links on the new plants I have added.

Can't give you a gold star, as I think Kathy is the only one that can do that  :'(

Malcolm

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
Hi All,  Just dropped in to see what's going on. I don't think I've got a chance to catch up with all you've been doing George on the programming side.  It sounds very complicated.
We've had RAIN today, soooooo nice. We've sat outside this evening watching it.  How sad is that......  Picked my first melon today, very sweet, and Alistair has almost finished my garden shed.  What is supposed to be a shelf for plants looks more like a bar. Maybe he's planing to put a barrel of beer in there.  I will put up a pic tomorrow.

NightHawk

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »
Well Lynda, that's exactly what Toby had said in another ongoing thread.

Now George has got him creating his very first Web Page with IG Pro.  How cool is that.   8)

You just need to do these procedures a bit at a time, just so you don't lose track of where you are, and it depends on what you're trying to achieve at the time as to which procedure you need to be following.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 08:55:24 PM »
Hi Lynda
Its all explained in step by step. Its a bit long winded, I agree, but not overly complicated.

Weve managed to get a "newbie" webmaster - none other than Bossgard (Toby)
Hes doing very well in a very short time. Hes done all the steps and is ready to publish his web site.

When we get Toby "on-line" how about you having a go at creating your own web site using the WPG program (GA032)?

Have a read over the messages in the Program updates - Sept 08 topic
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php?topic=761.msg3749;topicseen#msg3749
and we'll guide you along.

Edited later:
Ooops - didnt see Lauries last posting.
Anyway, Ive just reinforced what he's said  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:08:24 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »
RE (by Malcolm):
Thank you George for adding those extra buttons in GA032S09 It makes the job a lot clearer
Glad you liked that Malcolm!

Personally, I'm delighted to get that Garden Photo button programmed in GA032S08
(You see that after you click More)

That was a bit tricky to figure out, but I'm delighted to have accomplished that Visual presentation in GA100S66, where you can select Garden Photos from thumbnails.