Author Topic: Aubrieta  (Read 3813 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Aubrieta
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:48:07 PM »
I always thought these were spring flowers, but I had one some time ago which flowered in summer.
Over the years, I lost it though  :'(

I have one in full bloom right now (July) I think I got it from a local clergyman, who was an expert in the plant world (in these parts).
No name for the plant!

Can anybody recommend varieties which flower in summer?

Offline Palustris

Re: Aubrieta
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
Off hand, no. But if you shear the spring flowering ones back after flowering they will reward you with another less spectacular show around now.
The only variety I row is one called Elsa Lancaster which is a rather odd form of the normal A. deltoides.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip on shearing them back, Eric. I didnt know they would respond to that treatment.

I'd appreciate a photo of "Elsa" for the Master Database, Eric. I like a photo of a general view of the plant, then a close up.
I had to add that plant name - it wasnt one of the 30,000 !! What do you think of it? Is it better than the species?
Theres a good description of your plant here on the BBC website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/11276.shtml
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:47:15 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:13:25 PM »
Er....sorry but I do not have a photo of Elsa. the plant I have has always been so poor I have not bothered taking one.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:54 PM »
Thanks for that Eric. Looks like its not one to be recommended. Flies in the face of the description given on the BBC website - it says its vigorous.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
I have only seen it grown well once and that was in a pot on the show bench at an Alpine Garden Soc. show a few years back. I have never managed to keep it alive in the open garden and it just mimps along in the alpine house. Never even managed to get a rooted cuting of it either to try in a pot.
If you do not cut back Aubrieta you tend to get self sown plants all over the place in varying colours and less good than the named varieties.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Thanks for that Eric. Funny, I've never noticed my Aubrieta self seeding. They grow very well in Ireland,and you'll find them in nearly every garden here - very popular.