Plants > Rosa

Shrub roses

(1/3) > >>

NightHawk:
We watched an old episode of Gardeners World the other day and it was all about Roses.

It got us thinking....

In our planned cottage garden at the front we have a short section of border that parallels the front path...perhaps a nice Shrub Rose would work well there.

So I did some searching about and decided to go for David Austin's The Mayflower. I must admit the excellent health feature of the rose was a deciding factor in the choice. I don't want it to grow 8 feet high and shade the whole bed. This one is not that high!

So I hope I made the right choice as we went out this morning and bought 3 ;D

Has anyone got any experience on shrub roses?

I have 3 roses in my back garden,

Graham Thomas a lovely yellow.

A lovely single flowering peach rose that I am sorry to say I have forgotten the name of. It was named in memory of the Jennifer Trust for Spinal Muscular Atrophy, maybe it was called Jennifer Trust??

The last one I have had for donkey's years, Zepherine Drouhin a lovely climbing thornless rose and beautiful scent, but I have ruined the poor thing by pruning too hard one year and now it only gets to about knee height. I really should replace it but I feel guilty  :'(

Kathy :-*

NightHawk:
Well, here's the result of our Graham Thomas rose, which we think has turned out pretty good.

It's still blooming away nicely, and still lots more buds to open.

Laurie.

ideasguy:
Nice one Laurie! email one of those to me, please!
Does it have fragrance?

NightHawk:
Unfortunately George, the rose does not have any fragrance.

However, it is a good bloomer.

It's bloomed every year from Summer into Autumn, and even into November.

A ZIP file is on its way to you as we speak.

Laurie.

ideasguy:
Thanks for sending the file, Laurie.

Heres some good info (as always) from the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/760.shtml

Give it another sniff, Kathy and Laurie. David Austin's roses are famous for fragrance, and the BBC site seems to indicate that Graham Thomas has fragrance..
However, sometimes fragrance can  be elusive. I know from my own experience that I can smell a scented flower once and "get it", sniff again and don't. The Chocolate Plant (Cosmos atrosanguineus) is one in that bracket that comes to mind - a faint but very distinctive fragrance. Also honeysuckle.
Ive also notiiced that some plants give off more scent at particular times - e.g. in the evening, after a light shower of rain etc etc (depending on the type of plant).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version