Author Topic: New Forum Moderator  (Read 2711 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
New Forum Moderator
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
Congratulations is in order!

I'm delighted to announce that Kathy & Laurie have accepted my request (more like a plea) for help in admininistering the forum, and have volunteered to act as Moderators on the forum.

As you know, the need is for more active participation and dialog. Kathy and Laurie are our most regular visitors and share my intention to make this forum interesting and informative, and a friendly exclusive environment to meet up with other members who are passionate about gardening.

As you know, André (greenfinger) is also a moderator.
Please help us to make the forum a huge success, folk. Simply log-in and visit regularly, and give your support. If you have time to post a comment, an answer or a question, thats what makes it work.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:59:09 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: New Forum Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Excellent idea to ask Kathy and Laurie for moderatorship. Being active members they will give the forum a good push. Thumbs up!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
I know you are working all hours, even in your spare time, on your studies related to your new career, André, so the more the merrier in the team to keep things ticking over.

I have to say that, behind the scenes (i.e. in private emails), Laurie has been very supportive in my projects and in the forum, and Kathy and Laurie bring a great skill set to the forum. Kathy is the plants person in the team, Laurie the technical expert (and no doubt rapidly becoming a plantsman!).

Its very nice to see so many members logging in (and posting)  since I made this announcement, so, lets keep up the momentum folk!

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »
Hope this gives George some time to relax, George you must be exhausted doing all that you do.  Very windy here in Spain today. Harvesting broad beans and early sprouting broccoli.  Have just had a another delivery of Myoporum, it makes great evergreen hedging over here.  Grows very quick.  Book coming along and with Georges help my website for the book will link to garden pictures and info on all the med plants that we have planted in our 6,000 sq metre garden.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
Hi Lynda
Great to see you here, spending some time on a London server in cold UK. Its BITTERLY cold here this past few days.
My grass grew very little since mowing it last week. Meanwhile,you are HARVESTING your veg. Awww  ::)
What a lovely climate!

Not much relaxing just yet. The forum can stagnate if only one person answers postings by members. When a message is posted it needs a barrage of replies. That way, you get a range of opinions and ideas. Kathy and Laurie are ideal for the "job" (Moderator) for a number of very good reasons. I'm delighted to have their support. It would be lovely to make this forum work.

Found a couple of links about Myoporum sandwicense.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~eherring/hawnprop/myo-sand.htm
Quote:
The shiny or waxy green leaves vary in shape from long and narrow to elliptic and can be anywhere from 1 1/2 to 8 inches in length. Myoporum sandwicense blooms year round. The 1/4 inch bell-shaped flowers are fragrant. They are arranged close to the stems and range in color from white to pink.
Looks like there are a number of good qualities there - shiny leaves, fragrant, and a pretty flower. What characteristics swayed you?

Heres a linm to another species in the genus
http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/datastore/detailreport.cfm?usernumber=63&surveynumber=182
I hope you dont get the problems mentioned on that web page! Perhaps yours is a different variety?
Any more details - i.e. the species?

No doubt, you'll take some nice piccies for us??
Incidentally, I'm hoping to get back to work on my http://www.ideasforgardens.com website.
Its been "parked" for a while.
and - one of the things to add is an article on Hedging! I have a few photos of various hedges over here in Ireland, and I invite anyone to send me photos of impessive hedges they see on their journeys. Fun!

If you have time,please tell us more about the book you are writing.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »
Hi George, Ooops, just sent a message saying that I couldn't see my postings, and then found them!!  Not sure where to post messages as there are several boards to do so.  Which is the best one to use for general stuff.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
Yes, I can well understand!
Try and locate the board:
General Category
then the section within that:
General discussion

Its the first board in the (very big) list!

I can imagine it takes a while for new members to fathom, but ( I hope) its well structured for discussion points.