Author Topic: New style sheet for the WPG  (Read 3007 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
New style sheet for the WPG
« on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
I'm delighted to note that Laurie and Kathy have customised the output produced by the WPG (Web Page Generator in GA032)

First, have a look at their customised web site.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/KathyLaurie/OurFavouritePlants/

Note the following:
The effects when you rollover hyperlinks
The Previous and Next buttons

Lauries asked if I was OK about customising the output, and I gave my OK.
In fact, Ive been meaning to review the mouseover effects, as its difficult to see where youve visited in the original solution.

Good work Laurie and Kathy!

Some customising can be done by editing the style sheet.
Currently, there is one default style sheet provided.
Following Lauries experiments, I could provide alternatives style sheets, and allow members to download the alternative from the Products Support Web Site.
If anyone else would like to dabble a bit, please go ahead! It will be interesting to see what we can produce!

Heres another suggestion.
Currently, text is Black.
This is fine on certain colours. However, if you come up with a nice set of darker colours in the WPG, you may need white text.

NightHawk

Re: New style sheet for the WPG
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:02:57 PM »
Has anyone else had chance to try out the Web Page Generator (WPG) feature in Ideas Genie yet, and added their own customisations - e.g. changing text colours, altering font sizes, changing background colours?

If you haven't, then don't feel daunted by this prospect.

Not everyone feels comfortable messing about with computer coding, and in the case of creating website pages this coding is HTML.

However, this is where George has done a great job.  For within the IG program, the web site generator is already built in.  Most of you will probably already be aware of it but not really wanted to dive in and try it yet.  Others, who may have a bit more difficulty getting to grips with how computers work, for example, just shy away from it.

It is so simple to use.  If you don't want to change what is already there, then you don't have to.  The WPG will help you to create a prefectly good set of your very own web pages to go on the Internet for everyone else to share.

If you then get the hang of it and want to experiment further, then you have that option.  The majority of the visual customisations are done through the 'Style Sheet' - it has a .css extension (Cascading Style Sheet).  This document is provided for you, and George has said he is willing to provide alternative Style Sheets for members to experiment with.

I know some members have already put their web sites online using the WPG.  Whether you want to alter the look or not, it does not matter.  The main thing is to get some pictures of your gardens, then create some web pages, which is the best way to share your treasured gardening efforts with all of the other members.

It's so nice to actually see what other gardens look like, as it can be quite difficult to visualise from just a description alone.

This also gives you a chance to further try out one of the many capabilities the IG program gives you. 

So, if you're already in the process of creating your own gardening web site or are only thinking about it, get it up and running and post the link once you've uploaded all your web files so we can enjoy your garden in full colour with you.

Laurie.

P.S.  This is the link to our web site if you want to take a peek:

http://www.ideasforgardens.net/KathyLaurie/OurFavouritePlants/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:05:18 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
to resserect an old posting, i have been playing with layout a bit http://www.ideasforgardens.net/gardenplantsbypost/ centered top banner and changed text around, colours used are the ones provided in the WPG, hope changing text meets with your approval george, i have no intention of removing any of your credits

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »
Fine by me Phil.
Your list is growing nicely and I see youve put a lot of work into the reviews for each plant.
Keep up the good work!

We can make a start to a Catalog, just like the ones youve been downloading, when the others are up and running.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »

We can make a start to a Catalog, just like the ones youve been downloading, when the others are up and running.

No rush on catalog, like i said on phone end of year beginning next, got lots to sort out on and around house first anyway, but hopefully online sales up and running properly for end of year

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Gives you some time to play around with things Phil. With the progress youve made with IG Pro, I dont think youll have any problems with the Catalog building software (the programs under Nurseries tab on menu)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
ok thanks when you get chance email me info of what i need to do as i have 3 choices under nurseries tab, i can have a play and get used to it before the final product , as i am constantly playing and tweeking wpg garden plants by post to get a look and outcome that i like

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
Will do. I need to send a set of files at that stage, then instructions