Author Topic: Introducing John Bullivant - Bainbridge Island, WA, USA  (Read 2820 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Introducing John Bullivant - Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
John is the Kitsap chapter president of the American Rhododendron Society. As you can imagine he probably has a collection of Rhodies!

An amateur gardener, John and his wife are orginally from England - John from Manchester and his wife from Penzance. They came to the States in 1981 (after a year in Holland) spending the first 21 years in New Jersey near Princeton - where John worked in New York on Wall Street.

Well, heres a treat for you!
John sent me some photos back in 2006 and we'd lost contact for a while until he upgraded to IG Pro 5.
Fortunate it was, as he told me about the extensive work he's been doing to his garden in 2007.
Have a look at this set of photos - some of the beds in their first season from a spring planting.
Enjoy - I certainly did!

http://www.ideasforgardens.net/JohnB/JohnBullivantGarden/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:16:23 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Introducing John Bullivant - Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
A warm welcome to you John.

We've seen the photos of your garden and they are truly an inspiration - to see what can be achieved in such a short space of time. :o

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Kathy & Laurie.

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »
Developing the garden over the last 5 years has been a lot of hard work - but truly enjoyable. When we bought the property, there were some good 'bones' immediately surrounding the house, but very little elsewhere. Each year we've worked on different parts of the garden, reclaiming some areas from thickets of Blackberry, others from overgrown Salal and Salmonberry.

The soils here are basically glacial tilth - which tends to mean extremely sandy with a hard-pan not far beneath. I have to use vast quantities of compost, wood-chips, manure - one good thing is that quite a few of my neighbors have horses - so lots of good by-products ;D

An advantage of Bainbridge Island is that we can pretty well work in the garden year round. It generally doesn't get too cold in winter - just very damp. We do have a problem in the Summer, in that it's very dry - essentially no rain from late June to the end of September. This means an irrigation system is quite important.

Most of my time right now is to get my catalog of plants up to date - I've still got a lot of data entry to do, but getting closer.

A final point, having been in the States since 1981, I now use American spelling!

John

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
Hello John,
Your garden looks just great, if you are ever in the UK look us up at Bressingham.
Look forward to seeing more of your garden as it develops.

Paul.