Author Topic: Trigger Pot History and GAO22S02  (Read 2918 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
Trigger Pot History and GAO22S02
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:05 AM »
Hi,

I am wondering what the trigger pot history does in GA011S01, why would you check it in GA011S02?

also

in GAO22S02 when you go in 'Current Document in Edit' and you want to add some more information to the Document, lets say you input data about Pests,
you saved the data, now you found more info about pest problems, you want to put that in between some Sentences,
in my example: I already had Slugs, Snails and Grasshoppers, now I found out about some specific pests for the Northwest, So I want to add them after the Word 'Snail' but when I do, it erases the words which come after Snail until you input all letters. It replaces them with the new letters. So I lose the data I already had put in, or I have to input the new data in the end of the document.

I also noticed, that once you  input data, you can not enter a  line between two paragraphs, if you want to brake the data up. Only if you put in the line from begin with, you can separate the paragraphs.

I think this should be working better, otherwise nobody is able to add more data or edit it later, aside of you rewrite the whole paragraph.

Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Trigger Pot History and GAO22S02
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
RE:
I am wondering what the trigger pot history does in GA011S01, why would you check it in GA011S02?

This is for Bonsai Genie Users, Isabell.
For IG Pro users, when you add new Care items, leave the field un-checked.

So I want to add them after the Word 'Snail' but when I do, it erases the words which come after Snail until you input all letters.
Gosh, you didnt think I'd issue something bad like THAT  ;D
As in other packages (e.g. Microsoft WORD) you use the Insert button on your keyboard to toggle between Insert and Overwrite
I suspect you were in Overwrite mode

also noticed, that once you  input data, you can not enter a  line between two paragraphs, if you want to brake the data up. Only if you put in the line from begin with, you can separate the paragraphs.
Again, I suspect you were in Overwrite mode

When in Insert mode, you can break up the data by clicking the Return/Enter button on your keyboard, exactly as in WORD, etc
When you click the Return/Enter button in Overwrite mode, nothing happens.
Make sure you are in Insert mode, click the Return/Enter button a couple of times and you will break the data up at the point of insertion.

Play around in screen GA011S02, and get familiar with the editing behavior you get in Insert mode, then in Overwrite mode.
Click the Insert button on your keyboard to toggle between Insert and Overwrite

I'd like to assure other users that you can edit any of your data in FG and IG  in exactly the same way as other packages

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:39:12 AM by ideasguy »

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:53:21 AM »
George,

how do you get from insert to overwrite and back, if you never touched the button 'insert'? I'm just wondering, because I don't know how I got to that. I don't remember clicking any special keys on my keyboard or the IGPro5.

Today, after I read your answer I tried the same thing (inserting data), and voila it worked just fine. Believe me, I hit return so many times yesterday, it didn't do any difference it did not switch back to insert.  I don't know how I got it to not work and how it magically worked fine today. 

But another thing, today I opened up the IGpro5, switched to the Veg folder, it tested the folders and then I switched. It opened up the right Folder with the Veg Data, but on the first screen, after I opened the Plant Data GA022SO1 on the bottom there are the fields
'Enter Plant Name' and 'Enter abbreviated Name' it usually showed the last Plant name you entered, so today after I opened it it had the word 'Achillea' in it, which is not supposed to be in that Veg data base, I removed all flower data. It gave me quite a shock at first, I thought all my data was gone again. So I closed that window and checked in the Data Source program, and all the folders seemed to be there, but I got a warning pop up which said something like, 'check your data source folder it might be changed', but they all seemed to be ok, so I closed it down, checked on the system paths and that seemed also all ok. I was a little bit afraid to close down the program, thinking I will lose my data maybe, but after I did and I reopened the IGpro5 again, I didn't get that warning anymore and it all looks fine now, and the Achillea is not in the Veg data anymore. So maybe it was just a glitch. Don't you love computers? ::)

Computers are weird, sometimes I know if I should love them or despise them.
Isabell

Offline diegartenfrau

Program Hickup
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »
So, that's interesting. I closed down IGpro5 and reopened it several times now. First time I opened the program, I had the 'wrong plant' in there, which actually is not in the plant data program listed and the warning, which says 'check your data source settings, may have changed' I checked them, they look alright and don't look changed. Closed down the program, up again and everything was fine. Then I closed the program again, switched to Veg data 2 more times and it there was no warning message. Now I just opened it up again, after leaving it off for a few minutes, it gave me the same warning and the plant in the Plant name field (Achillea) although it is not in the Plant data listed. It is almost like a hick up.   So far it doesn't seem to cause any other problems, everything I tried so far seems to work fine, but it still makes me nervous.

one more question, once I switch to the veg data base, which in my case is on D: drive and I open up Plant data GA0022S01, when the  Folder 'Main Data' is selected in Data Source, is it supposed to be the Veg Data? Isn't the Main Data supposed to be the Flower Data base, which is selected as the main data, the one which opens up when I start IGpro5? Could that be the problem?
But when I look at the system paths, it all looks right.

Isabell
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:53:24 AM by diegartenfrau »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
Please refrain from calling this a Program Hickup Isabell. Its not, and I fear making other members "nervous".

Once you get to clearly understand what happens when you SWITCH and what happens when you change the setting in the Data Source pop-up, then these problems will be resolved.

Heres the rules (This is of General interest to all users)

The Data Source Pop-up
This appears on most action programs.
Its there to allow you to TEMPORARILY explore another database.
Examples: The Master Database (on CD), The Lost Gardens of Heligan (also supplied on CD) + other databases available very soon: a) Rhododendron b) Acer, supplied on CD.
Members can play with this by inserting the Master Database
When you select Data Source on CD, you will get the message 'This database is read only?. etc
When you change to a READ-ONLY database, a new button appears (in program GA037 ONLY) which allows you to Copy selected plants to your database on hard disc.

When you quit one program, and start another:
The pop-up setting persists.
The system issues the message 'Check you Data Source- may have changed'
Well, its for your own protection, to remind you that you are using an alternative database.

When you exit IG, or IG Pro or FG, then restart:
The system starts up in your Main database. The Data Source setting does NOT persist.

When to use the Data Source:
When you wish to view another database, but NOT edit that database.

SWITCH ? Using Program GA026

When you switch, the program closes your start-up database and opens the database you have chosen to SWITCH to.
This becomes the MAIN database in Action Programs
e.g. when you start GA037, you DON?T have to change the Data Source pop-up. You are looking at the data in the database you've switched to.

When you quit one program, and start ANY other program:
The MAIN setting persists. You are still using the database you SWITCH'ed to.
You wont get those "Data Source has changed"  messages.

When you exit IG, or IG Pro or FG, then restart:
The system starts up in your Main database.
The SWITCH setting is NOT restored (UNLESS, you took the option to SWITCH on start-up ? please DO NOT do this until you are very confident with using all these features)

If confused:
a) Check what Database is selected in the Data Source pop-up
b) Use GA200. Check the Current Data Source
GA200 has been developed extensively to give you "visibility" of your system configuration in relation to data folder settings.

If totally confused:
c) Exit the system, restart, and default settings will be restored.

When to use SWITCH (via GA026):
When you wish to work with another database ? add, edit, and delete. Link Photos etc.
When you switch, ALL programs you start will use the selected database, as MAIN
Therefore, you don?t need to use the Data Source pop-up!!

Be sure to read all Help Topics GA002 before using SWITCH.

Specifically for Isabell:
You have 2 working databases, and two Backup databases.
When using WORKING databases

Use SWITCH GA026 to switch to VEG when required

When you wish to go back to FLOWERS:
Exit IG Pro. Restart IG Pro. The default startup database (FLOWERS) will be opened

When you run programs:
Don?t change the Data Source pop-up setting after you SWITCH from your start-up (FLOWERS) database to your VEG database.

When you wish to look at the data in your Backup folders
You can SWITCH if you wish, but remember its your backup
You can use the Data Source pop-up
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:38:52 PM by ideasguy »

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
Please refrain from calling this a Program Hickup Isabell. Its not, and I fear making other members "nervous".
 ???

George, what else would you call it?
 A Hickup comes unexpectantly and it unexpectantly goes away again, most times. This thing which says 'check your data source settings, may have changed', has never before popped up since I used IGpro or IGpro5 and I switch constantly now between both Data sources (Veg/flower). So I am sorry, to me it is a hickup, maybe you got another more fitting name but I don't.

I also am not sure if you clearly understand what happened and when it happened, because your description does not sound like what I described in my post.

you wrote >>When you quit one program, and start another:
The pop-up setting persists.
The system issues the message 'Check you Data Source- may have changed'
Well, its for your own protection, to remind you that you are using an alternative database.<<

but I didn't quit one program and start another.I switched from my Main Data base which is flower to the second Database called Vegetable and this  'Check you Data Source- may have changed' has never come up before when I switch, so either it is supposed to pop up every time or it is not, or it comes up in a certain scenario (which I don't know about) but there I followed the same procedure every time, as described by you in your helpful e-mails, you would think it would have happened before and it didn't. So I think either it mistakenly comes up or it mistakenly never came up before.
All I am saying is, this 'Check you Data Source- may have changed' I have never seen before although I am following same 'switch Data base' procedures. If it is a regular part of the procedure, wouldn't I have seen it before?
And if it is not, why have I not seen it before? Those are the questions you have not answered.

Everything you describe below how to switch, is exactly what I have been doing and I never saw that warning.

When you run programs:
Don?t change the Data Source pop-up setting after you SWITCH from your start-up (FLOWERS) database to your VEG database.

When you wish to look at the data in your Backup folders
You can SWITCH if you wish, but remember its your backup
You can use the Data Source pop-up

I have never changed the Data Source pop-up settings after I switched.
All I do I, is switch to my last Switch folder (D: Veg, then as advised by you I check the folders in GA200 and if all is correct I proceed to whatever program I want to use. The popup warning 'check your data source settings, may have changed' comes up after I open up a program like GA004 or GA022. Which today it again did not pop up yet after the switch. It only comes up the first time I open up a program after the switch. After I can open and close programs and it does not come up anymore.

So, if you tell me it is not a problem, and so far it has not caused a problem aside being surprised and worried to lose everything again, then ok.

And one  more thing.
If you don't want anymore input from me, about things not working right or being unexpectant. I will stop asking.
I thought you like input from customers and it helps you to improve/better the program, but maybe I was wrong.

Have a good day :(

Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
I think we have a very big misunderstanding, Isabell.
Of course I want input, and you have already made valuable contributions, and I'm very grateful for that.
Its merely how to describe things which have happened, without causing undue alarm.
I apologise if I offended you.

RE:
This thing which says 'check your data source settings, may have changed', has never before popped up since I used IGpro or IGpro5 and I switch constantly now between both Data sources (Veg/flower). So I am sorry, to me it is a hickup, maybe you got another more fitting name but I don't.
This is normal, Isabell. Its not a hiccup. As explained above, Ive made that message display for your own protection.
You ONLY get that message when you change the Data Source pop-up in one program, and start another program.

To repeat the message, Anyone user can try this little exercise:
Put the Master Database in the drive
Start GA037
Use the data source pop-up to change from MAIN to Master Database
Browse the Master Database
Close program GA037

Start GA004
You get that message you described:
check your data source settings, may have changed
Its normal, and its warning you that you are NOT using your start-up database
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:06:08 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
I haven't used the database swapping facility in IG Pro 5 to the extent that Isabell has, but I've just done the test that George suggested and can confirm that the steps occurred as he mentioned.

After closing down GA037 then opening GA004 the message George mentioned appeared, which I okayed, then when the program opened I clicked the data source pop-up menu (Ddrive - IGMASTER was highlighted) so I just selected My MAIN Data Files from the list and it appeared.

I hope this is helpful.

Kathy.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
Thanks for doing that little exercise, and for your comments Kathy.
I hope you find the Master Database useful!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:29:27 AM by ideasguy »