Author Topic: Hello to everyone from 2 new UK members.  (Read 2574 times)

NightHawk

Hello to everyone from 2 new UK members.
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
I would just like to introduce myself to this Community Forum.  I am Laurie and my wife is Kathy.  We have started to get seriously into gardening within the last year.  We live near the north east coast of England in the county of North Yorkshire.

We are both experienced computer users, for many years now, and decided that we would like to record our gardening practices and planting schemes on computer.

We have just started to evaluate "Ideas Genie Pro" and so far are very impressed with it.  The current software we are using is
called "My Garden Journal" but want something more flexible and detailed.  It's much more basic than Ideas Genie Pro but one
feature that it has, that Ideas Genie Pro doesn't have, is a module for recording daily weather conditions.  It has selection boxes for; [1] Conditions (sunny, cloudy, overcast, raining, windy, etc.), [2]  Sunrise/Sunset, [3]  Moonrise/Moonset, [4] Temperature (High )/Temperature (Low), [5]  Barometric Pressure, [6]  Rainfall, [7]  Wind Speed/Direction, [8]  Wind Chill Factor, [9]  Humidity Level.  Options to use Metric or Imperial measurements, and Fahrenheit or Celsius.  Many of these variants can be obtained from your local online weather service - I use ww.bbc.co.uk/weather/, but we can do most of them ourselves.

We find this is particularly useful, having the ability to look back to see what specific weather conditions prevailed around the time we experienced a notable plant failure or success, for example.

I have mentioned a weather module to the program developers as a possible consideration in a future upgrade, but they wanted me to mention it on this Forum first to see if it would be of interest to anyone else.

If anyone feels this would be a beneficial suggestion then please make your thoughts known here.

Anyway, my wife and I hope to gain much more knowledge and experience through exchanging ideas with other like-minded
garden enthusiasts on this Forum, and hopefully pass on our experiences too.

Bye for now.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Hello to everyone from 2 new UK members.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
Hello and welcome Laurie and Kathy.

I have to congratulate you right away for your superfast overview of IG Pro!
I posted your CD only yesterday (Friday) you received it this morning (lightning fast by the good old Post Office) , you emailed your enquiry at 11:43 am to inform me you had both FG and IG Pro installed and in the same email it was pretty apparent that you had a fairly good handle on the contents of the software - having observed that such a journal was not part of the system!

I do recall an enquiry about a journal before. I thought perhaps there was a posting already on the forum. Ive searched and cant find anything, however.

Ive had a think about your enquiry, and Ive "mocked up" a system to record your data, using the Articles program - GA007.
I can explain that if you are interested.

A dedicated Journal Program could be provided.
I'm going to turn this over to our members to come up with their individual requirements and we shall see how to proceed.

Offline Roseman Stan

• My Ideas Garden Site
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
Hello Laurie and Kathy from Roseman Stan! Your love of gardening will surely grow right along with your garden. I find mine to be places of great peace and soul replenishing for me. I really miss them in the winter time, as it is right now here. May your gardens grow well and bring you many moments of joy!   :)

Roseman Stan

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »
Hello Roseman Stan.  Thank you for your lovely greeting.

Kathy and I are looking forward to a really good productive year for all of our new plants, and hopefullly with the help and advice from such knowledgeable people like yourself, we can expand both our knowledge of gardening and also our garden will expand and flourish.  :)

Offline Roseman Stan

• My Ideas Garden Site
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
That sounds wondeful to me Laurie and Kathy! I hope you have a wonderful day today. Look forward to chatting with you more too. Please feel free to send me an email anytime too.

Roseman Stan    :)