Author Topic: Possible 'happy' slug control solution?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Possible 'happy' slug control solution?
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:25:48 AM »
Looking for a supplier of climbing garden pea seeds, I came across a nursery that just might have a solution to the recently discussed slug problem. They sell a product called Biofriend Slug-Banish which doesn't kill slugs but rather simply 'banishes' them. They just don't like to be around where it's applied it's claimed. The product is harmless to pets, hedgehogs and birds though it is toxic to pond fish. It's a 'water on' product, a packet will treat 400 sq ft and is effective for about nine months. One packet costs £10.95, two packets £9.95 each and three packets £8.95 each. The nursery is family run, based in Ashford, Kent and the web address is www.victoriananursery.co.uk. As the name suggests, they sell a range of Victorian vegetables and flowers amongst much other stuff as well. I haven't truied the slug treatment since I've only just found the product but if anyone is interested it might be worth checking the site out. Maybe we don't have to kill off slugs to keep our gardens intact after all (?!).

Trevor Ellis

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Possible 'happy' slug control solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
That looks like a fantastic product, Trevor. Well spotted, and thanks for the link.  8)

It would be well worth a tenner to protect the plants our precious plants.

One thing though - it would render one of my "litmus tests" unreliable.
Slugs and snails only eat the BEST plants!!
Georges law (?):- if slugs like it - its a good'un!  ;D

Offline 3fren

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
HI guys,

recently had come across a book called the Secrets of the soil...

was very upset about  chemical being used to poison our earth.

These chemical will in turn goes into our system and that's why more people are sick with new disease. 

Lets look into other organic ways to protect our Earth and soil.  I did not bring the book today
will check up on necessary names and reference and will post to you guys.

Save the Earth ! :-[ 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »
I relented and sowed a few packets of Lobelia a few weeks ago. I find its much easier to grow in April that in Feb and March.

It was nearly dark, I looked into the greenhouse, and found a young slug in each seed tray  :o. Naughty, naughty  :D

Thinking back to previous years, my trailing lobelia from seed always does badly - perhaps they are very tasty?
The upright variety seems to be more "resistant" - or perhaps that should be less attractive.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:33:18 PM by ideasguy »