Author Topic: A big Hi from Margarida, Porto, Portugal  (Read 3949 times)

Offline panterinhaa

A big Hi from Margarida, Porto, Portugal
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »
Hello everybody :) I´m from Portugal, my name is Margarida, and I'm very happy to share with you all this nice forum, and above all to share the acquaintance of such a nice person as our host George :) I´m, let's say, somehow new at the gardening scene, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot with all of you. Thanks

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
Re: A big Hi from Margarida, Porto, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »
And a huge 'Hello' to you Margarida and welcome. Portugal is a wonderful country, I really do envy you your wild Atlantic coast. Looking forward to you telling us about any plants you like to grow.
Ken.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »
Gosh Margarida- I'm really flattered!  :-[ 

I'm very impressed with your knowledge of English. I mentioned to a colleague about my new Flower Genie friend in Portugal, and she informend me that most people in Portugal can speak very good English. It makes me feel so inadequate. I'd love to be able to speak a second language. I used to be able to manage a little French.

I'm also very impressed at how quick you registered and found your way around the forum - posting in the "Welcome and introduce yourself" thread. Take a bow!

Like Ken, I cant wait to hear more about gardening in Portugal. You are our first contact from that region.
We do have a very good contact from Southern Spain (Sherill)
Heres a web apage on my ideasforgardens web site.
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/links-categories/gardeners/gardeners.html
Scroll down to Spain - and visit Sherill's site.

You'll find links to a few other members of this forum on that web page

Enough for one day!

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Margarida. This is an opportunity to make email-friends in the world of flowers and gardens.
Don't pity George too much, he's a goodhearty, clever man who could learn easily a second or third language: it's all a matter of discipline  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:08:03 PM by greenfinger »

Offline panterinhaa

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:32:29 AM »
 :) Thank you for your kind greetings. I must say all of you are indeed very gentle, and I appreciate it very much. Nowadays I'm a bit inclined to growing mostly mediterranean native plants, because they are best suited for our climate, waterwise, and easy to grow, hardy and drought-tolerant. Besides most of them are aromatics, you know, like lavandula, santolina, rosemary, Artemsia absinthium, sage, thyme, origanum and so on, and they smell heavenly even when you're just passing by :) I have one that it's kind of funny, it smells just like curry, it´s name is Helichrysum italicum. And you can use them in cullinary too, that's another advantage. I also have some olive trees, citrics, etc.even banana trees and carica papayas lol, (not with so much success :), as well as some palm like phoenix, washingtonias, and other kinds of palms.
I love pure ornamental plants either, of course, and try to grow the beautiful strelitzias, agapanthus, lavateras,... cactus and succulents are one of my favorites also.
Answering to greenfinger... don't be harsh on George lol portuguese is not a very easy language to start learning... indeed it's pretty tricky, with a pronunciation that not even the locals can sometimes acchive to the full :) Let's say that learning spanish or italian would be a better start ;)
But enough chat for now... I'll be giving news about my mediterranean growing garden, or so I hope, and seek your advice about many other plants that aren't so kind to my always droughter , sunny and usually blue skied region (that one was intended to make you all jealous lol)
Have a nice weekend

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:46:16 PM »
The strelitzias and lavateras are the plants I noticed most on my holidays to Malaga last year.
Thse Birds of Paradise were everewhere - making me very jealous!

And the real beauties? Hibiscus - they were in full bloom in September - and they really were gorgeous.
Do you grow them?

Another one which amused us was the Moonflower. There was this magnificent plant just beside our apartment. In full bloom as we arrived home in the evening in "full song". Next day I went to take a photo - and - I couldnt find the plant that had those huge and gorgeous scented flowers - just this mass of green foliage  :)
That evening - there it was, covered in those huge blooms again. A real and aptly named moonflower!!

Offline JeanV

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
Nice to meet you!

Offline 3fren

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:50:48 AM »
Hi Margarida,

So fancinated by all the flowers you mentioned but can't imagine them...you able to post some pictures for our benefits.
Moonflowers ?  Is it Mexican castus ? ???

Thanks !

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:12:36 AM »
Hi Jessie! Hope you had a lovely New Year!!
Ipomoea alba is the botanical name for The Moonflower.
Heres a link:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/i/ipom_alb.cfm
And I'll post one of my own photos later.

Its described as a tropical perennial on the above site. Is it grown in Singapore?

Do you grow it Margarida, or have you seen in in your region?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:16:53 AM by ideasguy »

Offline panterinhaa

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 12:56:13 PM »
Hello, yes, I´m rising some ipomeas (moonflowers) but mostly the deep blue ones. One must be quite cautious about growing them in the garden because they are very invasive. They grow like crazy and overcome everything that passes their way :) I don´t have photos for the moment, because they are not flowering yet. You can find moonfloers growing wild all over the country. Just like cobeas, they climb and climb and spread and spread :) But when they are in bloom, they're quite gorgeous :)

Offline panterinhaa

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »
Oh, and about the hibiscus, yes, I have just one. It's a red rosa-sinencis. Stopped blooming three weeks ago :( I've pruned it very hard, and at the moment it's not worth viewing lol
Oh, and I'm pretty delighted... spring is coming... I love springtime !!!

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
I for one am looking forward to your summer photos Magrarida.

Heres a few of my photos of the Moonnflower I was so impressed with in Malaga

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/malaga/rimg0022moonflower.jpg

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/malaga/rimg0080-moonflower.jpg

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 09:14:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline 3fren

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 06:41:25 AM »
Hi Margarida,

thanks for the pics.. can imagine it looks lovely in the night...

we do have such flowers - its the morning glory - opens in the day and close in the night but no so abundance.

My " moon flower"  is Mexican cactus.. it starts to blooms from 12 noon and full bloom 12 midnight, thereafter
by next day 12 noon it is gone...I always finds it mysterious in the night with fragrance and beauty.
My plant has no bloom,  but do have a picture somewhere taken year back...you may know this flower ???...