Author Topic: NCCPG Demeter project  (Read 3268 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
NCCPG Demeter project
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:49:14 PM »
Heres a link to the professional software designed and written per specifications by the NCCPG
http://nccpg.com/demeter/
Its for Collection holders.

I asked the NCCPG to consider Ideas Genie for the job. I sent them a copy of IG for evaluation, and informed them that I was developing IG Pro.

Julia informed me some time later that they had already assigned the contract.
All very much in the past.

I was rather curious to see what they would produce.

There are a number of on line demos - how to add a plant etc
http://nccpg.com/demeter/Page.Aspx?Page=209

I'd like to hear your opinion. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 03:52:54 PM by ideasguy »

Offline 3fren

Re: NCCPG Demeter project
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
This is a very interesting documentation.

I have found a Chinese web page that contains such interesting documentation,
but not so comprehensive.  They have the chinese and minimum English version on the page.

Would be interesting to have the chinese names... this will reach out to a few billion people ! ;)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
Do you have a link to the web page, Jessie?

I read in an email that China will soon become the largest English speaking country on the planet. Are there moves in that direction?

In case they dont!! - I will try and find some time for that experiment we talked about - allowing you to enter Chinese symbol;s in Flower Genie notes.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:59:11 AM »
The Chinese are learning English alright..its like France.  In France, they can speak and write English
but somehow when you speak with them, they understood but can't reply or  you don't  understand their reply ..ha  ;D.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »
The NCCPG web is very comprehensive.  It is like doing the Professorship,  but I am still on the kindergarten  ;D.
will upgrade myself to it, i promised myself  ;)

What does it mean ; "they have assigned the contract"  you mean they accepted and  are using Ideas Genie ?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »
What does it mean ; "they have assigned the contract" you mean they accepted and are using Ideas Genie ?

Unfortunately not, Jessie. The contract was assigned to a software house in the UK. It was a bitter disappointment for me.

I posted the link to let our members have a look at how another programmer (or in the Demeter case, perhaps a number of programmers) approached the provison of a system to handle the complexities of plant names, and the complexities of record keeping for a plant collection.

Sometimes I feel apologetic in explaining the complexities of handling plant names in Ideas Genie Pro, but not so now that I have seen that the Demeter system has ALSO found it necessary to go to the same extremes to enter the names of plants with complex names (Hybrids etc)

By following the Demeter demos, our members can see how plants are added in "stages". Genus first etc.

Incidentally, adding plants to your database (Flower Genie, Ideas Genie Pro and Bonsai Genie) is a simple click of a button if you use the Master Database. It now has 9200+ plants and growing.