Author Topic: Introduction - Jean  (Read 2457 times)

Offline JeanV

Introduction - Jean
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:23:56 PM »
Hi
I am jean from Mid Wales, just purchased Flower Genie and having fun with it! I am an amatuer gardener, organic, cottage style. We moved here from Bolton and eaving my garden was the hardest part as the plants after ten years were really established. My garden here has the excitement of an oak tree at the far wnd of the small garden, ands a view over fields with the dilemma that if you protect from wing you lose the view.
Not sure what ekse to put here!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:39:21 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Introduction - Jean
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:51:02 PM »
Hi Jean and welcome to our special forum - you got the right one this time!

You move quick, dont you! Its not long since I received your breakthough email, and I replied and congratulated you on mastering the Flower Genie SEND feature. The plant and photo came through like magic!

Ive made a copy, and reduced it and posted it on the internet.
Heres the URL:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/jeanv/CLEMATIS1s.jpg

Would you like to tell us the story about it?

Glad you are enjoying Flower Genie, and I enjoyed talking to you on the phone!! What are you going to do with that "new" garden? How long is it since you moved gardens?(y'know what I mean)

Edited to say:
I used the split feature on this forum to move your introduction to make it a new topic under this section.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:53:14 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:17:37 PM »
Hi Jean

Lucky you moving to mid Wales - it's a beautiful area. Maybe you could put some lowish windbreaks of some sort within the garden rather than round the edges. I have the same sort of problems and have put different screens (heging and shrubs) up to protect specific areas. That way as you move around the garden you can still see the view that you don't want to lose and the garden seemingly becomes just a continuation of the landscape rather than being separated from it. Much depends on the size of the garden as to what kind of screens you're able to use (e.g. living such as heges/shrubs or non-living such as open trellis of some kind). It's surprising how much shelter even an 'open' break can provide. In a small garden they can be quite low i.e. a 5' hedge will reduce wind speed by half for anything within about 23' of the hedge. Good luck with the solution.

Trevor Ellis

Offline JeanV

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »
Hi thanks for the advice Trevor. The added information is that the bungalow is below the garden, or to be more accurate the "lawn" is raised up steps and on level with the field. I think the idea is to now shelter part and leave part open to the field. I had an idea for meadow grasses at the endm but really they only come into their own for a short time! Other gardens here have hedges but our polt was originally planned as an access road to more building so our bungalow is sort of end on to the road and stretched back to the field.

This winter it has been so mild that somehow shelter has seemed less important!
Noce to meet you!

Jean