Author Topic: Welcome to "The Ideas Genie Community"  (Read 4623 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcome to "The Ideas Genie Community"
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:58:45 PM »
Ive always signed off my message to new customers with "Welcome to the Ideas Genie Community".

At long last, its here. My learned IT colleague found this Forum  application, powered by SMF.
It was open source (free) and he installed it for me and had it up and running in a very short time.
He's just handed me the reins, so I'm delighted to announce that the "Ideas Genie Community" has finally become a reality.

The good thing is, you wont be hit by any advertising banners in this little enclave.
I'm limiting membership to customers, (any software item) so it will be pretty exclusive.

Please do NOT be shy! Go ahead and post a message in this thread and tell the other members who you are.

I hope you enjoy "The Ideas Genie Community"

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:12:35 AM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Welcome to "The Ideas Genie Community"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:00:38 PM »
You are a busy ideasguy.
I'm not much used to forums, so I've still something to sort out.
I like the interface.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:38:29 PM »
For someone not used to Forums, it didnt take you long to figure out how to create a user profile and post a message, André, and all in a different language. Take yet another bow!
And... I like your personal quote! Where does a guy get back hinges?

I'm still fiddling with the settings of this new Forum, so let me know if you see something which needs attention.

For the benefit of others who wander this way, André is our newly appointed Gardening Software agent in the NL region, and has bravely translated pages upon pages of text from English to Dutch in "the quest" to introduce Ideas Genie etc to the Netherlands.
Fortunately, he's got a great sense of humour!

Heres the result of our joint effort, our new (November 2005) Dutch web site
http://www.softwarevoortuiniers.com

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 10:11:05 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:44:22 PM »
Dear son, I have to say gardening has changed a lot in the watery eyes of an old chap like me, 91 years old, crippled and bald but still in the possession of half my teeth. No, it's not the same anymore. Where are the old lassies like Margery Fish, who still knew her place behind her old man? They don't make them anymore. A shame, a shame. And Trude Jekkyll! What a statue of a woman that was! Unmarried, what an opportunity lost, but I was too young and she had already that architect, what's his name....?
Time for my warm waterbottle...

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:57:38 PM »
Sacre bleu, old man (tee hee) I'm still trying to figure out how to edit that last message, and you've replied already!

91 indeed. Did the Dutch translations age you THAT much? I remember you saying something about pulling out your hair, but... alll of it??
Besides, thats my job, isnt it?

And the teeth... did you knock them out when you fell off the chair laughing when I asked you who the Popes were?

Now weve mentioned them, tell us more about your exploits at Hadspen in England.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:09:11 AM »
I would like to hear more about this 'old' man's exploits! I am still laughing about the comments about Gertrude Jekyll and Margery Fish! If only there were any man who could stand up to my garden, I would willingly stand behind him!  :D Alas, there are no gardening men to be found in this direction. Should any man at my house venture into the garden to do more than look admiringly, he would surely bid a hasty retreat when he realized his mistake at tromping on the hostas!

Nice to make your aquaintance, Greenfinger! I look forward to some entertaining reading!

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:07:08 AM »
Pixydish, welcome on board, son, grandson? I couldn't make out your age. But as I assume most of the devoted gardeners are wise men (women? My time knew still the beginning of the famous Waterperry School in GB) above the 40. They don't make them anymore. Times are changing. It's my strong opinion the tele has to be blamed for it. All those quick ready gardens, not my cup of brandy I say.
Still searching my stockings under my bed here somewhere. It's a bit cold here in Flanders Fields. (minus 3°C)

Offline Minneylady

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 11:44:21 PM »
Hi George:  It was nice to "see" your friendly face in my email last night.  Glad you are still at the task of attempting to help others beautify their countryside.

Seeing as I am in Minnesota it is a bit to chilly for a gardening activity.  However, my new thing is Dahlia's.  I love them.  They are beautiful.  They  have to be dug up in the winter but they are worth it.  Hoping my bulbs winter over for  me.

Thank you for dropping me a note and I wish you success with your new forum.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 11:56:20 PM »
Good to meet you again on this forum Minneylady, and you are very welcome. Its a bit different from Delphi, isnt it!

Go ahead and post a "New Topic" on this section, to introduce yourself in style. I think its probably best that way, as others can see your "name" as a heading to the topic.

Since you are interested, I shall create a new Plant group called Dahlias. They are one of my favourites as well.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:55:33 AM »
Thank you, Greenfinger. Ahem. I don't know if it's going to be granddaughter, or daughter, but I am over the 40 hill. Yes I believe TV has shortened many things in life down to soundbites. We turned off the cable TV when our daughter was 9 years old. She's 20 now and studying in France. My son has never had cable TV. I credit his long attention span to a lack of a constant diet of electronic laughter. Gardening is the perfect antidote to 'instant' anything. May it always be so!

Greetings, Minneylady from Minnesota. Between your winter weather and Greenfinger's searching for socks in -3C, I will not stop to complain about our brief but unwelcome snow yesterday.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Chelentan.
We hope you'll enjoy the discussions you're interested in. It's not forbidden to join them ;)

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »
Yes, welcome indeed. Do you have a special or particular interest, Chelentan.
The forum is going through a small expansion and if you're a friut and veg person I might just be stealing your support before the 'blooming' lads get hold of you.
Nice to meet you and looking forward to hearing about you.
Kew.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
Hi you guys and gals out North there...I have never lived in the temperate countries.

Sunshine is always here, our trees are always green, flowers are perennial, So..aren't we fortunate ? But..but..
we have no excuse to getting up when the sun gets up ...daily..so we work round the clock !  We are rats,
you guys are more fortunate in comparison.  But .but ...count our blessings for whatever we have.

we have no gardens to talk about like George and his begonia (so envious  :() but we have potted flowers
 from all over the world !

Warmest regards from Singapore  8)