Author Topic: Our first Cuckoo of 2013  (Read 3491 times)

NightHawk

Our first Cuckoo of 2013
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
Just walking through Holmsley area of the New Forest and listening to our first Spring Cuckoo for this year.

Submitting this from our iPhone just opposite the said Cuckoo.

Edited: - 3pm back home now.  Took this photo of the area we heard the Cuckoo.  It was somewhere in the trees in the background.  We never actually saw it, so don't try to spot it in the photo - much too well hidden  ;)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:26:31 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Our first Cuckoo of 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:30:19 AM »
The cuckoo is the opposite to the ideal child, Laurie - heard but not seen ;D
Have you ever seen one Laurie? In my younger day I can recall hearing them around the country area where I grew up, but I never ever actually spotted one.
They must be pretty rare nowadays. I haven't heard one for years. I'm sure you can comment on that ;)

Pleased to read you are recovered to the extend that you can get out and enjoying a walk and fresh air Laurie.
Have you both shaken off that cold?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:32:02 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
I have NEVER seen one in the wild George  :(

Cuckoos can be seen throughout the UK, but are especially numerous in southern and central England.  Each Spring, since we moved here, we have heard Cuckoos around the New Forest, but as soon as they are aware of your presence they stop calling.

They spend our winter in Africa and the adults arrive here in late March or April to breed, then depart again in July or August for the winter migration to Africa again.  The young join them about a month or so later.

They are on the RED Status list, which means they are a globally threatened species.  Their UK breeding population has declined by 50% over the past 25 years.
The RSPB are doing ongoing research into all birds on the Red List to determine the causes of the decline and what they can do to minimise it and then to help increase their numbers again.

Maybe one of these days we'll actually spot a Cuckoo, but in the meantime we at least know they are still in our area.

We're almost over our colds.  Getting out and about in the fresh air for our regular walks is a good thing.  Especially when it's been blowing quite cold winds, which sound like an odd thing to do when your body is trying to recuperate.  Kathy's mum always used to swear by going to the seaside when she was full of cold, and benefitted from this.  We've been doing some coastal walks interspersed with Forest walks and we think it has helped to 'kill' off the cold germs  ::)   Maybe it's all psychological, but if it works - go for it  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:29:30 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »
Out in the Forest around Bransgore this morning.  Hearing Cuckoos - definitely more than one.

Calling as I type from the iPhone again.

What a treat  ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »
No cuckoos here yet, Laurie, although there there are usually calls from the woods behind us when they arrive.
Nothing like a bit of sunshine to get rid of  the colds. I am glad it is working and you are throwing them off.
My chest has not been good but I must say the sunshine of the last day or two (plus a little help from a strong antibiotic :) has worked wonders).
Eric H

Offline JeanV

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
We live in Mid Wales and most summers we hear and often see cuckoos. Last year I never heard one at all but they are in the quieter area, On the board of sightings in the Elan valley one has been recorded for this year. There are some lovely bluebell hillsides here and most years we hear one there. They are much rarer than they were though when I was a child. The house martins and swallows have just arrived back here as well!  And the winter starlings have left for Russia (well that is what I am told!)  We have a flock of a hundred here each winter.  It is strange though as our wildflower milkmaid (we call it) and Sweet Cecily are both flowering but the shrubs and tree leaves are way behind.
Not been here for ages so greetings from Jean in Mid Wales.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »
Nice to hear from you again Jean.

This strange weather pattern in the UK is playing havoc with all our wildlife and plantlife  ::)

It's still good to hear from our members as to what's happening in their particular area, so thanks again for your input Jean.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »
not heard the cuckoo yet or seen the kestrel type bird this year but unfortunately in there infinate wisdom  ??? a company decided to rip up a chunk of the forest and replace it with 6 windturbines search grouselodge windfarm on google, maybe these turbines have scared the cuckoo away, is it to early, have i not been outside at the right time who knows