Author Topic: Ccleaner  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Palustris

Ccleaner
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
Ok, so I know that these folks want to sell me something, let's get that out of the way. However, I ran a scan on my computer (AVG latest update offers one) and it came up with a whole ruck of errors. Now I regularly delete Cookies, Temp. Web pages, run Disc Cleanup and Defragmentation. I have a full suite of anri virus malware etc. programs which work very well for me.
Now the recommended program for repairing Registry problems is Ccleaner. I know that there are a few left over bits in the Registry from deleted programs etc. BUT before I run the program I would love an idiot's guide to doing it. Only last time I tried I had to do a Restore and go back to before I ran it to get my computer to function properly again. TIA.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ccleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
There are a number of programs out there to analyse and clean the registry.
I have asked one of my colleagues for his recommendations. Will come back to you in this Eric.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
Erik:

I’m running PC Cleaner, put out by PC Help Soft.
Here’s there link: http://www.pchelpsoft.com/pc-cleaner/

If this is the same one as you are inquiring about, then I use it. I run it myself on startup, so that I know it is and has been running.

My prior service provider was purchased by another. During the transition and after the new provider was installed, I telephoned them to inquire whether I was getting full speed as per my contract.

They assured me that I was, but I complained to the technician I was speaking with, that I was having trouble with a slow boot up. He suggested I purchase PC Cleaner, although his company did not sell the software, and he didn’t either.  He recommended it highly. I bought it direct from PC Help Soft on the strength of that.

It seems to have helped with a quicker boot up, and if you can believe the numbers it publishes, then it is. I also run AVG as security, and their most recent version has the PC Analyzer installed. AVG has it activated, and so I’m using both. A good idea to run both, I don’t know?

Maybe, I can learn something here, too!

- Toby

P.S. I'm not too sure whether I'm the idiot or not!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
Should have said a Guide for an Idiot.
So how you you proceed with Ccleaner?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
Erick:

This link will get you to Piriform, which is the developer of Ccleaner. I’m assuming that you have downloaded a free version of Ccleaner and are having trouble installing or using it. Also, that you have contacted their help center and can’t get any help from them.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help

The program I’m using is called PC Cleaner from a different developer and I have had no trouble either installing it, or scanning with it.

Maybe, George can come up with more helpful information for you.

- Toby

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
So I used it and it has done exactly what I was hoping to avoid and removed all our passwords. I did tell it not to remove Cookies which is where they are normally stored, but even so I am now having to log in (where I can remember the blasted things).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
No response as yet, folk.

I'm alarmed at your posting Laurie.
I agree, the registry is most certainly not to be messed with, hence I await the advice of my learned colleague.

Personally, I wouldnt be too concerned if it removed passwords from my computer.
Best kept in memory or on a Flash drive. To me, Personal Computer is the best example of an oxymoron that I can think of.
When I get time, I will be starting a few new topics related to security and privacy - a) Cashed files b) Downloading software (in particular the program updates to my software items and c) Cookies

Did the software fix any problems Eric?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
It did actually, The machine started up at somewhere near the speed it used to. I know there were bits of deleted programs in it and so on. It does appear to have got rid of them.
Ccleaner seems to be the one every one uses and it does save the old Registry before altering it so you can go back easily. I did do a Restore point before beginning.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:09 PM »
Very good work Eric. You were wise to make those security backups before starting.