Author Topic: Keith's Intro  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Keith

Keith's Intro
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:50:56 PM »
Hi Everyone

Started gardening 50 years ago as a relaxation from work, and have never looked back since. Caught the bug completely. Always something new to try. Like the 'Genie' software and will post my thoughts and progress as it happens (that is when all the bedding out is complete)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Keith's Intro
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »
Hi Keith
Thank you for joining us here. Its very quiet this month... everybody must be flat out working on the bedding out!

Thanks for the comments about the Genie! Since you and your daughter have both Flower Genie and Ideas Genie, thats really good to know.

50 years is a lot of gardening experience! It shows the satisfaction level in our great pastime when you say after all that time that there is always something new to try. I can well believe that!

Do you have any favourite plants Keith? (assuming you can narrow it down to a page or two!) How have your found your plant likes and dislikes have changed over the years?

Offline Keith

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
Thanks very much for the warm welcome.

I have completed bedding out and am now intensively  inputting data and photo links into 'Flower Genie', although the photo links will obviously take all season. As for favourite plants I don't think I have any dislikes, the only thing I may reduce in the future is the amount of bedding and look more at shrubs and perennials. There you are something new again.

p.s. Still waiting for daughter to evaluate 'Flower Genie' trial disk.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:56:02 PM »
Lots of fun ahead there Keith! Its at least a one year project, to get a photo when the plants are in season.

Its nice to have a daughter to share your interest in our beloved gardening.
When she gets time to play with the software, I'll explain how to share your plants and photos by backing up onto a Flash Drive (the little pen devices). I'm experimenting with them at present. So far I'm really impressed. They are perfect for the job.

Ive got very wary of using shrubs. I find they need a lot of pruning to keep them in check. Ive lost too many plants through encroachment. I made the mistake of planting shrubs in my "herbacious" border. I dug the bigger/vigorous ones out.

I'm moving towards tender perennials, to get a longer flowering season. There are some fantastic Argyranthemums and Osteospermums and tuberous begonias etc. I know MikeSummers (one of our members) is into tender perennials.

Mind you, its nice to see the hardy perennials bursting into bloom. Its the nicest part of gardening to have a walk around and find what has just started to bloom.

Do you grow your bedding plants from seed?

Offline Keith

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:17:14 PM »
Yes I grow most of my bedders from seed. The ones that I find harder to get a good percentage germination such as Impatiens and Begonia's I buy Mini Plugs. Am still batting away at the plants in season photo's and find that it is easy to miss one now and again i.e. Roses,and have to wait till the next good flower is out.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »
I know that feeling about missing a good pic. Ive missed a few good photos because the bed needed weeding in the past and I didnt have time to clean it up right away.

Another thing, general, but also applicable to photos. Have you ever noticed how some plants have a natural "lay", and once disturbed, cant be manually "arranged" again.
By way of example, I grew Ipswich Pinks from seed, and they have lasted quite a few years now. However, they have been close to being choked with grass at flowering time. After I do the weeding, they look like nothing! They lie flat without the support.
They need to be weeded long before flowering time. This means you gotta brave the cold in early spring to do some intricate weeding.

Have you any tips about growing Impatiens in borders? I find they get devoured by slugs and huff a lot. Ive got slug pellets down this year. Dont like doing that, but there seems to be no other option.

Offline Keith

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »
Sorry for delay in replies George. Watering the plants is a 'Forth Bridge' job this hot dry weather. I also find I must use slug pellets or suffer severe plant damage. In this neck of the woods, snails have almost completely taken over from the slugs and It is my belief they cause even more damage. The problem I always have with Impatiens is lack of sufficient moisture, so next year I am going to try a small pinch of water crystals in each planting hole and observe the results.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:41:19 AM »
That water crystals experiment should be really interesting Keith. Did you read about it somewhere, or is it something you've thought of? Anything that stores water, then in dry weather would release moisture has to be a good idea.

Those slugs and snails sure have good taste. They always eat the ones we like best.
My Impatiens seem to be growing a bit now. Maybe I'll manage that mat of plants Ive always hoped for.

I note you grow Begonias. I bought very small plug plants in Tesco's way back in early spring. They were slow to grow, but they are now producing flowers, and they are gorgeous. A good mix too - Red, yellow and orange.
I'm very late this year, and planted hanging baskets last night and today - should have been about 2 months ago? Still, I used a lot of my late sown Lobelia, and those Tesco plants were just about the right size for baskets and containers,and Ive been feeding and caring for them pretty well. Mind you, the Begonia and others were very tiny plugs when I got them.

One nice surprise this year. I had two lovely begonias last year. I left one outside, just outside our south facing french windows, and one got brought to the greenhouse.
I forgot all about them, thought they would have perished in the severe frosts we've had this winter.
Imagine my surprise when I found this neglected (and very dry) pot at the back of the greenhouse, with a little tuft of leaves!
Then a few weeks later, I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the first sign of growth from the one I left outside. Again, it had not been watered at all!
Seems the secret may be to keep them completely dry until all frosts have passed?
How do you ovewrwinter yours Keith? How do you start them off again in spring?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 09:47:02 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Keith

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 12:05:41 PM »
Yes George I have been using water crystals in my baskets and flower pouches for many years now,so thought it would be a good idea to extend this to the moisture loving bedding plants. I am sure you are correct about the dryness keeping the begonia over winter, I don't think the corms and roots get as cold. I usually pot up my begonia corms and sometimes rooted begonias and just keep them ticking over with slight moisture in a frost free greenhouse. The last two days here we have had some lovely downpours and everything has appreciated it apart from the petunia's,they are just hanging their heads but you can't win em all. The grass has really perked up so I will probably give it its second feed.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »
The weather forecast give a heatwave for next week in the UK Keith. Those Petunias will soon be happy again! Poor grass though.

Ireland is famous for its green grass as you may well know, but its because of our (usually) high rainfall.
We've had that heatwave now for a week or 2 weeks or so, and the grass is parched!!

My Busy Lizzies are givng a really good show now. Probably perfect conditions for them - watering by moi by evening, lots of lovely sunshine during the day.

I think they resent disturbance (??)
Ive grown them from seed in the past, and found they huffed after re-potting, and when planted out.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Hi Keith
Thanks for thaking up my invitiation to look into the forum again.
Please post a message and bring us up to date.