Garden Design > Ideas for Gardens

Garden Seat Project

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
What we called the Summer Seat when I was a child has followed us from my fathers house in the country to our house on the edge of the town.
Its not a particularly pretty seat, but it has pedigree, so I decided to make a feature in the garden to give it a special place.

I dug the hole for the stone base years ago, and never got round to doing the job. I filled the hole with stones collected from the garden over the years, so the first job was to excavate them again and give them a wash before putting them back and making a concrete base.

Heres a few pics taken before I started to fill in the base.
Note the buckets put in place - the plan is to embed them in the base. Go on, guess what they are for.

'course a guy needs a helper :)

This one taken mid afternoon today:

Lyn and Malcolm:

Thats a heck of a base for a seat George, watch your back with those heavy stones and concrete mixing.
Keep an eye on the weather this afternoon, could be a heavy shower.
The buckets, well it has got to be plants going in there, possibly Acers ?

Malcolm

ideasguy:
Yes Malcolm, for plants, but not Acers. Something neat and floriferous - perhaps about 15in in height and spread.
Those big stones are some weight! Mind you, so is a bucket of mixed cement :)

NightHawk:
That's one heck of a challenge you've set yourself there George.

As Malcolm so rightly says, be very careful with those heavy items.  It's so easy to strain muscles, as I found out to my great cost a couple of years back when I was moving flagstones about in the back garden for a shed base.  And I was doing everything correctly, like bending at the knees and keeping a straight back, etc.
I badly strained my right arm muscles, although I wasn't aware of it until the next day. Took about 2 weeks to really get back to normal.

OK, pots to contain flowering plants?  Pass!  :D

Laurie.

ideasguy:
The base is more or less finished (needs a little touching up around the edges perhaps)
I am tired mixing concrete - something I disapprove of in the garden, but I decided I didnt want weeds popping up and spoiling the effect. Hope it doesnt rain overnight! I have trhe base covered with plastic just in case.

July has just passed and the weather man tells us it was the least sunny July on record in N Ireland. We had a lovely May and June.
I hope we get some blue skies again soon to enjoy this "new" summer seat when the project is finished.

Next time consuming stage is to do some restoration work to the actual summer seat itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version