Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 6940 times)

Offline Brian Denison

Introducing myself
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
Hi Everyone, not sure if this is the right catergory but I have to start somewhere. I do not have a large garden (less than 1/4 acre but its enough to keep me busy, even though I am now retired. Just reorganising the side of my drive. It is only 2 to 3 ft wide with a mature oak at one end. The tree canopy shields much of the border from rain and its roots extract water and nutrients, so I have just inserted 4 very large plastic pots with handles (the sort used for mature plants) and enriched other areas with compost and bone meal. After planting choice plants in the pots, tough plants and bulbs elsewhere, I am really looking forward to seeing the results next year. I also have a number and Acers and other mature shrubs which I am hoping to make a feature of after studying a book I have just purchased . It is called Niwaki (the Japanese art of tree pruning), I am excited by the possibilities especially as I have successfully created a cloud pruned conifer already. All for now.

NightHawk

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:49:27 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Brian.

We hope you gain much inspiration and friendship from our members, who are always willing to help out.

Garden size does not matter here.  Everyone has their own place of sanctuary whether it's big or small.

Enjoy your time here.

Laurie.

P.S. To Brian.  We have a specific category for Introductions, so I've moved your post here.  Keeps it neat and tidy.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:54:00 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
Congratulations on making that first posting Brian! You are very welcome I can assure you!

You certainly are one modest guy! By way of introduction, I hope you don't mind if I explain a few things to the other members.
Brian was one of the very first people to order Ideas Genie, and in those days i didn't have an on-line booking system.
Ive retrieved your order, a hard copy print out of the page on my (then) website and its dated 12th March 2002.

Heres a little extract from Brians very first email to me:
I am a keen gardener and have been for many years and a member of Hardy Plants Soc. West Yorks Branch. My interest is in plant associations, landscaping, architectural plants and as such I have devised my own Access data base in order to select and coordinate plant features. Your system sounds much more sophisticated than mine so I look forward to looking at it.
I also like photography and computing so it will be a good ways to combine my interests.

I converted Brians database from Access into Ideas Genie format and sent that to Brian.
With Brians permission, I used the database as a demo, for distribution to new customers. It was issued to each and every one of our new customers at the Northwest Flower & Garden show in Feb 2003.

Later, a new idea hatched. I merged it and listings from other customers into a common database, one known famously to you all as  the Master Database  ;D.

Most of you will have a copy of the Master, so plug it in, use GA026 to switch to the master, and change the gardener pop-up to Brian Denison.
You'll find a listing of 422 of Brians plants as they were in 2005.
I cant thank you enough for that listing of plants, Brian, and the photos you sent to help me get my Gardening Software products launched.

Brian sent me a Powerpoint file of a lecture he gave to a ladies section of a local Conservative Club.
I extracted the photos for my website.

No, heres where Brian is being rather modest.
A TV company picked up on the photos of Brians garden on my website and made contact asking for Brians contact address.
Very soon, Brian was a competitor in Britain's Best Back Gardens  8)

Trawling through old emails, I find that the judge was Mathew Wilson - curator of Harlow Carr Gardens in Harrogate, now part of the RHS

This quote from an email on 23 Sept 04 gives you an idea of the pressure in preparing your garden for a visit by a TV camera crew:
I will give you the history of events which worked out well due to a combination of hard work and luck. Since last autumn I had started to reorganise the planting as many of them were overcrowded and not performing well. Also as some of the trees and shrubs have matured some plants were not getting enough sun. When I first heard about the interest from Anglia TV (June!), I was still reorganising and a long way from being finished. As you can imagine I then worked frantically to fill in all the gaps and for the first time ever I run out of stock of spare plants in pots. I placed quite a few plants in borders while still in their pots and in some cases used sections of tree stumps or metal frames to give them height and a sense of maturity. At this stage I expected a visit anytime and perhaps as early as July. While still working on the borders I was also busy feeding to try and get more plants in flower for July. At the time, I was sickened by the poor wet weather which was delaying the flowering of many plants, but especially my decorative pots and wall baskets. In the end this worked to my advantage as the pots although a little passed their best were still quite good for late August and I was complimented on them. The late planting of for example Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro'  also meant it was in flower on 30 August.

22nd Sept 04
Just letting you know the latest situation re TV show. It turned out that despite Christina asking to feature my garden, several were eventually being considered and a pilot video was prepared of each to be assessed back at Anglia TV. An anxious time but eventually mine was one of the gardens selected for the programme.The TV people spent a whole day filming my garden on 30th August.

After a number of reschedules, the TV show went out on Saturday, 8 Oct 05 and it was broadcast nationwide on ITV.

19th October 05 - me to Brian:
Your show was transmitted as scheduled. I tipped off as many people as I could.
Your garden won of course! My wife also watched, and she just went Ooooh... that garden is the best by far. It was of course! A very deserved winner.

We watched both shows (back to back transmission) and I have to say they were brilliant. I actually felt nervous, even though I knew you had won. One of the other gardens got very high marks.

The good news to the end: another great gardening friend of mine also taped it, and turned it into a DVD. He has some very special equipment for doing this sort of thing.
That great gardening friend was Whis4ey, now a member of our forum. The DVD is still available for circulation.

I found another memento in trawling through our emails: on 6th August 05 i confirmed that I had received a a CD containing Brians talk on 'The making of a Garden' and some pics from summer 2005

We lost contact for a while, and I have to say I'm delighted that Brian has joined us on the forum.
Laurie has already extended a warm welcome and I know you will be as excited as me to welcome Brian to our community. Another great plant loving gardener joins the ranks :)

I could have written lots more, but I'm sure this topic will develop into an interesting exchange.
Delighted to have you here Brian, and I hope you enjoy your retirement!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:06:22 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
Hi George, I am amazed that you have all the correspondence in detail from our earlier contact. I could  not remember what I had written at the time. It all sounds very flattering, unlike some of the comments made by Stephen Anderton on theTV show. Despite his somewhat sarcastic remarks, I have implemented some of his suggestions. Thanks again for your generous comments.
Regards, Brian

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
Our email archives made very interesting reading Brian. It was a great refresher!
I keep all email records in Outlook. Its creaking at the seams!

RE:
The tree canopy shields much of the border from rain and its roots extract water and nutrients, so I have just inserted 4 very large plastic pots with handles (the sort used for mature plants) and enriched other areas with compost and bone meal
I like your idea  :) and I think it will work very well.
I hate hitting roots of plants when I'm working in the garden, especially if its supposed to be an area for flowers.
I'm digging offending shrubs out this past month or more now and already I'm enjoying the large amount of space freed up for other plants. Hope to get that chore done over winter and be ready for next growing season.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
welcome Brian
Hope you find the forum inspirational, how about sharing a picture of your cloud pruned conifer here, just to be nosey  ;)  ;D
Phil

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
Hi Phil, Thanks to you, George, Kathy and Laurie for welcoming me. Hope I've not missed anyone out (still finding my way around the site). In response to Phil's request I have attached a photo of my cloud pruned conifer. It is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'plumosa aurea nana'. Not the usual subject for this sort of thing but it has worked. I bought a six pack of dwarf conifers at the Stoke Garden Festival in 1986 I think and this is one of them, so it is about 23 years old. It grew too large for the border shown in the photo so it was a case of discard it or do something drastic. I started the pruning about 6 years ago and in the early years tied stones to one to two branches in order to 'adjust' their position. The border shown is also slightly wider now.
Changing the subject, I applied autumn lawn fertiliser about a week ago. There was one half of the front lawn which was longer than the rest so I just cut that area. I never set my mower to a very low cut. I have sandy soil which soon runs out of food and have found an autumn feed beneficial. The depth of soil is also low which doesn't help and the lawn soon starts to deteriorate in summer if not fed regularly. I use a liquid feed to avoid scorching but am thinking about applying slow release. Have not decided right now if I am going out in the garden between showers - it is also windy. Still have a couple more plants to put in at the side of the drive and need to collect a few more large rocks for my niece who is building a rockery. I had a look at her first efforts yesterday morning and told her the stones were too small and the effect she had created was called the 'current bun effect'. We had a good laugh and I am to provide her with some larger rocks and some advice. Her husband Bob has been assigned the task of rebuilding it.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »
Thanks for posting that photo Brian.  It's always great to actually see our members' gardens, rather than just 'hear' about them.

That's a fantastic effect on the conifers too.  You may actually start off a new trend in Conifer Topiary:D

If you have any other plants that are currently flowering well, it would be nice to see photos of them too.

As you are still finding your way around the Forum I'll give you the link to the board to submit your plant photos - it's called Plants/Plant of the Moment.
I created this category in the Plants Board a while ago for members to share the plants that are performing particularly well in their gardens at that moment in time, and it has proved to be very popular.  Click on the blue link above, and once there, just click on the New Topic button and away you go.  ;D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:27:02 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
Thanks for your response will take on board. I think you and ideasguy must be on the computer all day - how do you find time to garden?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
Delighted to see you have mastered that little challenge to post a photo on the forum, Brian, and what a great photo to start the ball rolling!
That cloud pruned plant is a brainwave! Very soon, I hope to get time to devote to my rather dormant www.ideasforgardens.com website. With your permission, I would love to include that photo. What better could I have for the website of that name!

Another question if I may. What are the red and yellow plants in flower in the photo?

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »
I think you and ideasguy must be on the computer all day - how do you find time to garden?
'Multi-tasking Brian'  :D

Seriously though, at the moment it's not too difficult.  Weather here is atrocious at the moment.  Been raining all day up to now, and it's very windy.  Good excuse to be indoors on the computer.

You'll notice a difference in the full growing season though, when we have no excuses to not be in the garden.  ;)

There'll be a little bit of tidying to do before winter fully sets in, but for the size of our gardens that's not too big a chore.

You'll find George is pretty much the same, although his computer time at the moment is being taken up by WORK, on his latest Bank Genie enhancements (but I'll let George give you the low-down on that.)

Laurie.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:44:01 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
Its nice to click over to the forum when I'm working on the computer, especially when I'm stuck on something or doing something tedious. Its even nicer when I find a new posting, of course :D

Mind you, its a bit addictive!
I cheat a bit as well Brian. The computer is on most of the day every day so it "open all hours" on the forum, as I stay "Always logged in".

Incidentally, its taken me longer to do this new edition of Bank Genie than it took for the original edition.
That should have been a head start, as I used the original programs and added new features.
Nevertheless, its looking real good and I cant wait to get it released.
The garden? Oh yes... its a welcome break for some fresh air and exercise.

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 06:43:10 PM »
With all the discussion going on perhaps I should change the subject to general discussion? To answer ideas genie question, of course you can use my photos - I would be proud for you to do so. Regarding the other flowers in the earlier photo I posted, the red flowers are crosomia 'Debutante', 50 cm and described as pale orange with a pink blush. Not as tall or as rampant as Lucifer. The yellow flower is Crocosmia Norwich Canary but this is said to be the same as 'George Davison'. It could be croscosmia crocosmiflora 'Norwich Canary' but not sure what this middle term signifies or if I have that variety. To the left of the yellow flowers you can see the dark bronzy foliage of another crocosmia, namely 'Sofatare' with apricot yellow flowers, height 60cm. The blue flowers to the right of the conifer are those of a Veronica. I would not normally plant so many crocosmias together but initially the plants were tiny and needed bulking up - they are now ready for redistribution. The yellow flowers to the extreme right are Inula. This plant hasn't sufficient room and also needs moving. Returning to the photo I could not reduce the resolution as easily as using XP for email. I used Paint shop pro to reduce the size (number of pixels) and then had to check properties for the resulting resolution in kb (trial and error). Is there an easier way of doing it?
Brian

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
Keep the discussion going here, Brian. Anyone who hasn't visited in a while can catch up easily and its better to talk about your garden here by way of introduction.

Thanks for the names of the plants. Norwich Canary is a good alternative to the regular orange varieties. I have Lucifer, in abundance. In fact, when I moved here at first, we got a a farmer in to plough the back garden and planted it all in potatoes.
One large clump of Lucifer was "redistributed". I have a few clumps around the garden in spots where I allowed them to stay. Once they establish they are hard to remove (at least so Ive found). Ive found a few keep reappearing after thinking Ive dug them all out.

Photo resizing.
To you have Microsoft Photo Editor? Make a copy, then resize it in that program. Make it 640 pixels keeping proportions and it should be fine. I expect you'll get a few more tips ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »
Brian, here's another option for you to try.

As you already have Paint Shop Pro you can resize your image there.

If your photo/s are larger than 640 pixels wide, then you can downsize them using the Image/Resize menus.

If after resizing the photo size in kilobytes is larger than 128k, then you can also deal with that in Paint Shop Pro.

When you select File/Save As... menu, you will get an Options button.  Click this then select Run Optimizer.  Then click on the Use Wizard button then adjust the slider control either down for 'Smaller file size' or up for 'Better image quality'.

Clicking on the Next button will then show you a small preview of the image with the file size in kilobytes below it.  You can then go between these two screens using the Back and Next buttons to make fine adjustments.  Get the setting that is closest to 128kb or until the image looks good enough quality below this figure.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »
A rather belated welcome to the forum, Brian. Having read through the postings I have to agree with George that you introduced yourself far too modestly. I am sure you will enjoy the forum and it looks as though you have lots of useful contributions to make. I only joined in March and already I feel that all the active members are friends.

Eric H (to distinguish me from Eric [Palustris] who has been a member much longer than me and is much more knowledgeable too)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
Brian thanks for posting that picture it surely is impressive and very creative, you must have a real good imagination of what you want your plant to look like when you do something like that
Phil

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:52 AM »
Many thanks for your help re picture resolution and to Eric and Phil for their kind comments. Regarding a question of George's which I missed re 'May I make up a WPG project with your photos?'
You can indeed George as I think I would have difficulty starting my own website. I have more plant photos and some before shots if you need them - depends I suppose on your approach and title of my garden revue. I have started looking through other members websites and WPG's and see I have much to aspire to. I would find Erics new project far too daunting but good look with it.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
Theres a long winter ahead, Brian!
I think with a little persuasion and encouragement we will have you mastering the wonders of the WPG in no time :D
It would be much more satisfying if you did your own WPG for your garden.
Who knows, you might get hooked on it ;)
Its something you can work on at on rainy days ;D