Author Topic: Linux  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Palustris

Linux
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:31 PM »
Now as you know we are having terrible trouble wth a conflict between Vista and Dial up. Linux was designed (I am told) to work with the Internet and very little else. So  can anyone tell me anything about it? I can get it downloaded, but can I run it on this machine without destroying my Vista? Will it help? How do I use it? Anything......................please!

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
I know nothing about how pc work so i did a search i put in google linux vista and came back with this result at top of page
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
heres the link http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm i dont know if this is what you need so hang on for more help first

I think this is more up to date than previous link http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_xp_stepbystep.htm
Phil
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:00:31 PM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »
I know you are desperate Eric and looking at all possibilities.
That project is not for the faint hearted, and I'm afraid I cant advise as its not my area of expertise.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »
Thanks, will check it out.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »
Just had a read of the Article. It looks really straight forward until you reach the final section, then it goes a bit out of my league. Thanks anyway.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »
Like George, I can't be of much help to you either Eric - sorry.  :(

I'm not familiar enough with this area of computing to give anything constructive, or help out if you go ahead with it and get stuck.

The little I do know about Linux is that it is supposed to be the most stable Operating System and is free to use.

I doubt that any of your Windows software would be compatible, but if you're only wanting to try it to give you better Internet connection it's worth a try.
But unless you've identified what your current Internet connection problems are I don't know if this would be of any use.

Having said that though, don't be put off from trying if you think it might help.

Maybe there are other members who may be able to jump in here and help you out.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:02:41 AM by Kathy & Laurie »