Author Topic: Welcoming Katie  (Read 5941 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcoming Katie
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:53 PM »
A very warm welcome to Katie from Seattle USA.
I'm delighted you have registered on the forum Katie, and I hope you will find it an enjoyable place to visit regularly.

I actually gave Katie a demo of Ideas Genie at our booth at the Northwest Flower & Garden Show in Seattle, USA away back in 2003.
Theres a full account of that eventful day on this web page:
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/usergardens2.html
I'm delighted to say that Katie has used Ideas Genie over that period in its standard form and produced a very fine database of the Demonstration Gardens at Covington Water District.

Heres the links so you can read all about those exceptional gardens:
http://www.covingtonwater.com/conservation_outdoors_demo_garden.htm

The weather get very hot in the Pacific North West region in summer time, so the demonstration gardens are to introduce gardeners to a host of plants which suit such conditions - WaterWise plants of course!

The icing on the cake (for me) was to find the on-line version of the Garden Tour.
On the above page you'll find a link to Plants List. Takes you here:
http://www.covingtonwater.com/pdf_documents/conservation/Plant_List.pdf
The plants list was produced using Ideas Genie, with intro pages produced by Covington.

If you have time Katie, we would love to hear how the garden is looking this summer.
What are your favourite plants there?

NightHawk

Re: Welcoming Katie
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
Welcome Katie.

From what George has said so far, it sounds like you will have a lot to contribute to the Forum.

We're looking forward to hearing from you real soon.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »
welcome Katie
I was very impressed with your PDF made using ideas genie, which goes to show that the possibiliies are endless, when you know how using Ideas genis, ig pro etc
Well done, you deserve a credit,

So then george how about instructions on how to get, try (in my case) a pdf like Katie has shown can be made, using plant list in IG PRO

Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
More info here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/adobepdf.html
On the internet you can use Adobe reader to read pdf files but to create a pdf file you need Adobe Acrobat.

Unfortunately I don't have Adobe Acrobat on my computer, so cant describe the steps.

I'll look into this when I get back to IG Pro development Phil. Currently on the new Bank Genie-Cambridge Edition (coming on very well)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
I think i have something on pc that turns documents etc into PDF will take look after qualifying F1  ;D

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »
Been having a play with this PDF on my pc i have a programme called OFFICE One QuickPDF, What this basically does is convert normal wording files into PDF, To make it work with IG PRO i went into my printers and made it default printer then
1, IG PRO my plants GA034 click on refresh that brings up the list of all your plants, on the left you can choose from the listed options what you want to show
2, select print preview click on print Report designer GAO34r02 opens up
3 click on print report OFFICE One QuickPDF starts click on simply click on file save as and save it to where you like, you then have a PDF of your plants

i have simply uploaded it to my eircom webspace

http://homepage.eircom.net/~roiphil/garden%20plants%20by%20post/CProgram%20FilesideasforgardensIdeas%20Genie%20Pro%205reportsga034r02.PDF

if any one wants picture instructions  ::)  ;) let me know, to get the plants listed in beds select my garden GA016 instead of my plants GA034

OFFICE One QuickPDF is a issendis programme that came with software when i got pc google search for it http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=OFFICE+One+QuickPDF&meta= I think you should be able to use any programme that converts documents to PDF, Thats my play time for now, will have to work out pictures next
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:38:41 PM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
Well done Phil!
I'm impressed :)

Usually, I make it so the user is prompted for which printer to use for output.
Try this in GA034
Choose the option to Print (Final)
The printer Prompt appears.
Choose your printer.
In your case (to get a PDF output) choose the pdf printer

That way, you don't upset your default printer setting, and the settings can be permanent.

I notice GA016 goes straight to the default printer, so I will fix that.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
Try this in GA034
Choose the option to Print (Final)
The printer Prompt appears.
Choose your printer.
In your case (to get a PDF output) choose the pdf printer

yes that works easier  ;) simply save as same way

GA016 would be great the same way as print final in GA034, No rush, just having a play at moment

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
Youve set a good Challenge to others Phil!
Its a very good example.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:09:45 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »
Youve set a good Challenge to others Phil!
Its a very good example.

next task front intro like on Katie's ?, how to incorporate 2 PDF's into 1 ???, may have to sleep on that unless someone has any thoughts

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
Welome Katie from me too. I have been a bit busy and have just tuned in. That PDF business is most impressive, it makes my non technical mind whirl  ::). I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Eric H (to distinguish me from  Palustris who is another Eric and joined a long time before I did))

Offline bossgard

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »
Hello Katie! Welcome to the Forum!

Or, maybe I should say; Hi Neighbor!

I live directly west of you, less than an hour's drive away. In fact, several years ago, having heard about the Water-Wise concept, and while heading for some hiking trails, we drove past the Gardens. Unfortunately for us, it was on a weekend, and it looked like everything was locked up tight.

After the experiences of this past growing season, weather wise in particular, I'm going to study your plant list and take into consideration your suggestions. My property sets on a hillside and is completely exposed to the elements, so watering is a chore, and I have way too much lawn to even consider keeping green.

Luckily, my flower beds are still in basic planning stages, so I have time to plan more wisely. Are most of the plants available from local sources?

- Toby

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

A free no strings attached download of Open Office, has an export as pdf function within it. Very usefull.

If that helps anyone.

Malcolm

Offline Katie

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
Hello fellow "Hort-heads,"

Thanks for your greetings!  For several years now, I've really put Ideas Genie to work for me in managing my WaterWise Demonstration Garden for my employer, the Covington Water District.  When I began my employment here, (7 years ago today, as a matter of fact) none of the demonstration garden plants were identified.  No plant list had been established.  So when I found Ideas Genie at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show, I knew it was exactly the work-horse needed!

It's been interesting to read of your interest in Pdf'ing the tour guide.  This has worked very well for me in both use on our website and for printing up our documents.  As you've noticed I can combine a cover sheet and map of the garden in this manner.

We use Adobe Acrobat Pro at the Water District.  I'm able to simply select "combine" and "assemble Pdf portfolio."  Then I just select the files I want combined into my document then *presto* I have a completed Pdf. 

I look forward to learning from others on this forum  - your discoveries and shortcuts will be much appreciated.

Katie

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »
Hello Katie and thank you for joining us :)
I'm really pleased to see you've found your way around the forum and have made your first posting!

Its very nice to read your comments about Ideas Genie Katie- I'm delighted it has matched your requirements so well.
Now you've upgraded to IG Pro you will be able to join in the challenges here - little step-by-step exercises I set when anyone has an interesting question which involve "hidden" features of the software.

Malcolm and Phil have identified sotware which output to a pdf file.
However, to edit a pdf file (as you have done at Covington) I'm pretty certain you need a licenced version of Adobe Acrobat.
From what you have told us, it looks like Adobe Acrobat Pro is a very powerful product.

Now that we are back in touch, I have one outstanding item to do for you - modify the report produced by the Tour Guide program to allow you to include your logo.

I hope you find time to visit regularly Katie. Its a pleasure to have you in the community :)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »

A free no strings attached download of Open Office, has an export as pdf function within it. Very usefull.

If that helps anyone.

Malcolm
got that but for the life of me i can not figure out how to join to PDFs together or have i got it wrong do both need to start of as documents then join together to make 1 document then convert to PDF using open office PDF, maybe katie could run through steps when she has time, please or do i need different programme to do this

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
That software allows you to export as a PDF file.
Its unlikely that it allows you to edit and change pdf files.
To do that you need Acrobat Reader. As Katie has informed us, she uses Acrobat Reader Pro at Covington.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
To do that you need Acrobat Reader. As Katie has informed us, she uses Acrobat Reader Pro at Covington.

will have to look into this sometime, acrobat reader pro