Author Topic: Back ups  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Palustris

Back ups
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
Just tried to back up as normal and discovered that there is not enough room on the external disc drive to do it. The Back up file from previous weeks is now rather large. Do I delete it and then Back up again or do I have to treat myself to a larger external hard drive?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Back ups
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »
Hi Eric
Are you are talking about backing up Ideas Genie Pro here?
If yes, and the folder name is the same, then you will overwrite the previous backup, so deleting is unnecessary.

You could try running the PACK program.
Under the System tab, program is Pack Files - GA202
However,its always a good idea to do a Backup before running Pack, so you are in a catch-22.

The PACK program can reduce the size of IG Pro files by freeing up the space occupied by deleted records.
(When you delete records in IG Pro, they are marked for deletion only, pending that PACK operation.
They can not be seen any more as you use the programs of course.)

How big is the drive you are backing up to?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:59:20 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
The Drive is only 70 gig. I was actually running the Vista Backup facility which does all the C Drive stuff.
I may have to remove the pictures from the C Drive to the D drive and try again as they are what take up the most room.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »
70 Gig is quite a lot!
Matter of interest, how long did it take last time you did a successful bckup?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
In the end I deleted everything on the external dtive. Then I did a complete back up. This took just under an hour to complete, but it has only taken about 9 gig of the Drive to store. Very odd that it should fill the whole drive previously. Now I shall have to see what happens when it does its normal 'topup' backup as it is set to do on a weekly basis.