Author Topic: Hello from Alberta, Canada  (Read 4501 times)

Offline MitchM

Hello from Alberta, Canada
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
Hello,

I have recently joined this forum and am looking forward to implementing the Ideas Genie software and documenting my wife's ever expanding gardens. :D
We live in the foothills of the eastern Rocky Mountains, west of Calgary, Alberta.
My wife and I recently moved here to a 160 acre parcel of forest and have 5 acres cleared where we are building our home and gardens.
I am including a spring and winter picture of our progress so far.

Mitch :)

NightHawk

Re: Hello from Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Mitch.  ;D

It's always good to have new members joining us.

Your plot sounds very idyllic, and we look forward to seeing you chart your progress here so we can all enjoy the experience with you.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Welcome Mitch
Your site looks lovely, are those solar panels on the roof, regarding the winter picture that looks very cold and frozen just looking at it makes me feel freezing, something that we dont get round these parts this year we had about a week of on and off freezing temperatures but by the midday they had gone and all melted  ;)

Enjoy the forum and be sure to keep us up to date i sense another WPG coming along  ;)

Phil

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
Welcome Mitch.
We've communicated only a few times since you first made contact back in 2005 - NOW I can see why you didn't have a lot of time on your hands to get fully into the software :)
I'm amazed by the sheer scale of your property, with a five acre area for gardens   :o
I'm really looking forward to your postings on the forum, Mitch, and I hope your wife will also participate. It seems you work very well together as a team!

We have relatives in Calgary and my son visited on his honeymoon in 2007. They had a trip through the Rockies, of course.
Its great to have a contact from such a naturally beautiful part of the world.

I hope you enjoy our forum and find a little "rest time" to visit regularly.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »

Hello Mitch and welcome.

Your house is far bigger than our garden  ;D

IGpro is a great way of documenting the plants in your garden, and if you are gardening 5 acres, there is going to be a lot of plants in there.
Look forward to seeing the gardens and plants.

Malcolm

www.lynandmalc.co.uk

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
Welcome, Mitch.

That is quite a plot!!
Our middle son and family live in Calgary so I have an idea of the sort of countryside you inhabit.
Can't be far from here  :)

or perhaps here (me in action  :D )

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

Eric H (the "H" is to differentiate me from the other Eric on the forum - Palustris)

Offline MitchM

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone :),

Phil, yes those are solar panels on the roof. We put in radiant floor heating plus a fireplace in the greenhouse that is attached because our winters usually get down to -30C.
       What is WPG?

George, Malcolm, I am going to try to post many pictures as I can :). My wife is constantly changing successful and failed plants. It would be nice to hear from others if there are things that we can be doing better or different. We find that you can't always go by the agricultural zone map.

Eric, that highway in your first picture is one way of getting out to our place from Calgary! It is highway 1 heading west just before the hwy 22 turn off to Cochrane. We don't have any of the sheep that you were taking pictures of there, but we do have frequent visits from deer, moose, elk, bear and cougar.

Mitch

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
we do have frequent visits from deer, moose, elk, bear and cougar.

That sound enough to trample a few delicate plants  ::)

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
........... What is WPG?
Mitch
WPG is an acronym for Web Page Generator, a feature that George introduced into IG Pro.

It enables our members to produce web pages of their gardens to show to other people, live on the Internet.

It takes away the drudge of having to code HTML pages manually, especially if you're not comfortable with that aspect, by doing it all for you.

You're using your existing database of plants that you enter into IG Pro, including descriptions and photos.

We encourage our members to do a WPG whenever possible, and is a very interesting feature.

I'm sure George may wish to expand on this and give further advice on how to get started once you're ready.

No pressure though.  :D

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
........... What is WPG?
Mitch
WPG is an acronym for Web Page Generator, a feature that George introduced into IG Pro.

It enables our members to produce web pages of their gardens to show to other people, live on the Internet.

It takes away the drudge of having to code HTML pages manually, especially if you're not comfortable with that aspect, by doing it all for you.

You're using your existing database of plants that you enter into IG Pro, including descriptions and photos.

We encourage our members to do a WPG whenever possible, and is a very interesting feature.

I'm sure George may wish to expand on this and give further advice on how to get started once you're ready.

No pressure though.  :D

Laurie.

could not have said it any better myself
- 30 i cant even imagine being that cold how long does it last for ?
Phil

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »
Mitch

This is an example of what Georges WPG can do taking the information from the database of plants in our garden, in IGpro.

http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/

There are several more examples from members here

http://www.ideasforgardens.net/

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »
Mitch has Ideas Genie installed (not the Pro)
The Reviews program (with the WPG) is not included in IG.

Dont be too concerned though, Mitch.
Since you have only registered the software, you would be best to concentrate on getting familiar with the core programs like GA027, GA030, GA037, GA004 etc at this stage.
All the programs you have on your IG menu are identical in every way to IG Pro. IG Pro has a number of extra programs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:19:04 AM by ideasguy »

Offline MitchM

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
...Dont be too concerned though, Mitch.
Since you have only registered the software, you would be best to concentrate on getting familiar with the core programs like GA027, GA030, GA037, GA004 etc at this stage.
All the programs you have on your IG menu are identical in every way to IG Pro. IG Pro has a number of extra programs.

Yes, one step at a time... ;D
Thanks for the links Malcolm.

- 30 i cant even imagine being that cold how long does it last for ?
Phil

Phil, thankfully not to many....maybe a few nights in a winter. We can have a week or two with daily highs in the -20's. You get used to it.
Here is a picture of what my wife and I came home to one night. It can be quite beautiful.

Mitch

Offline roiphil

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
yes does look lovely, how many times have you got snowed in so as you cant get to work, tip leave your shovel in th shed  ;D