Author Topic: Uses for GA049S01  (Read 17646 times)

Offline bossgard

Re: Uses for GA049S01
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »
George and others: HELP!

With GA049, I have installed version 8, but I am still with only 5 templates. My ignorance is showing in working with files and folders which I have had very limited experience. I made note of the Core Data Folder, etc., but am at a loss how to make the change to the installation folder. How do I do this and where do I find it? One step at a time, please.

Many, many Thanks!

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »
Its easy when you know how, but a real pain when you dont.
I hope I can help!

Step 1
Start GA200
Click into the text in Item 6 (Core data folder)
Click the Edit tab on the Menu
Click Select All
Click the Edit tab on the Menu again
Click Copy
That copies that data onto your clipboard. You dont see anything to confirm that. You just gotta believe.

Step 2
Now do this download:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/picpages-dl.exe
Watch carefully during the download.
When the dialog box comes up
Location to save files
Where would you like to save your files
Click into the Save files in folder field
Do a Ctrl-A (Hold down Ctrl button and press A button)
That will highlight the entire line (make sure the entire line is highlighted - i.e. blue)
Do a Ctrl-V (Hold down Ctrl button and press V button)

That will paste the text on the clipboard into the field.
If its correct, click Next and continue with the installation.
If its not correct, do Step 1 again

You can also delete ALL the text in the Save files in folder field, then do the Paste step.
That way you'll see the text being pasted.

Let us know how that goes.

It was a lot easier for me to distribute these files when everyone was allowed to access their application data in a common folder, not under the user profile. This is Progress in computers?  :'(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:41:53 AM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2009, 03:44:28 AM »
George:

YIPPEE!!!

Do I need to say more? Have all 10 templates.

Quite a few tries, but after 'pokin' and 'swearin', I made it! Have printed out both US Portrait and Landscape Four-Ons. Beautiful!! Thank You! You always come through for me and the rest of the Members!!

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
RE:
Quite a few tries, but after 'pokin' and 'swearin', I made it!
So THAT'S why my ears were a-burnin'  ;D
Flooding back comes memories of computer out the window, developer out the window... Tee hee

Proud of you once again Toby!
Glad both the US templates worked for you.
Which of that range of printers did you use?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
For the print-out on those I used the Epson Stylus 400 (regular ink), an old printer left over from my business days, that I use for 'rough-draft' work when I want color. Saves wear and tear and ink on the Epson Stylus CX6000 (DuraBrite Ink).

Off on a hike soon this morning, but will try to work with the text features and see how they behave. Already, have a new project for you using the US Portrait (4-on), which I think will be interesting to try and useful for those that have their gardens open to the public or maybe selling a few plants.

Re: 'out the window', I was considering me this time. You were in the clear.

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
Phew! In the clear for once!

Give GA049 a go with your HEWLETT/PACKARD DESKJET 600 Toby.
It has the biggest value for Bottom.
You dont have to print it out onto paper.
If you do a preview and see all the text and all works then we can mark that off as job done.

Another project eh? OK - looking forward to hearing all about it.

Enjoy your hike  :)
(What a guy  ;D)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »

We have had a fair bit of interest on this thread George.  ;D
And I don't think it is finished yet.

If we get to page 7 it will be the biggest thread ever on the forum, apart from Garden Funnies, unless you know different.

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
Its easy when you know how, but a real pain when you dont.
I hope I can help!

Step 1
Start GA200
Click into the text in Item 6 (Core data folder)
Click the Edit tab on the Menu
Click Select All
Click the Edit tab on the Menu again
Click Copy
That copies that data onto your clipboard. You dont see anything to confirm that. You just gotta believe.

Step 2
Now do this download:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/picpages-dl.exe
Watch carefully during the download.
When the dialog box comes up
Location to save files
Where would you like to save your files
Click into the Save files in folder field
Do a Ctrl-A (Hold down Ctrl button and press A button)
That will highlight the entire line (make sure the entire line is highlighted - i.e. blue)
Do a Ctrl-V (Hold down Ctrl button and press V button)

That will paste the text on the clipboard into the field.
If its correct, click Next and continue with the installation.
If its not correct, do Step 1 again

You can also delete ALL the text in the Save files in folder field, then do the Paste step.
That way you'll see the text being pasted.

Let us know how that goes.

It was a lot easier for me to distribute these files when everyone was allowed to access their application data in a common folder, not under the user profile. This is Progress in computers?  :'(

Exactly what i had to do, but i went about it a bit differently, have you got vista toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
RE:
We have had a fair bit of interest on this thread George
Yes indeed. It looks like we will make Page 7 OK, and all in a very short period of time.
I'm really pleased it has generated so much interest. It was dormant as a program for a long time!
Its really good to find that our members can manage it so competently.

My next question. Are you folk OK with the structure of saving the pages within Projects?

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »
fine saving pages in projects my end i think, touch wood nothing has gone wrong so far anyway

Offline bossgard

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2009, 04:00:29 AM »
George - Yes, I would say that we are OK with the HP Deskjet 600 printer. I'm getting the bottom margin line

Phil - No, I'm not running Vista. When I had my computer built, Vista had not quite been introduced to the public, so Windows was installed. Microsoft did offer a discount certificate, and I purchased Vista when it was released. But on the advice of a learned computer scholar I held back on installing Vista since I was happy with Windows. I thought I would wait until the 'bugs' cleared up with Vista, but it is my understanding now that Microsoft will be introducing the new 'Windows' faily soon and also have a new Office Suite coming up. We will see how that whole thing comes together.

Hike - Went into the Greenwater area, which is in the foothills approaching Mt. Rainier. My hiking buddy wanted to check some of the free overnight camping sites, but it looks like there might not be any at all. A lot of that area is turning into private use with either lodges or personal residences. You are in a Federated Forest when it that area. He wanted to set up camp there along the river, and then go to the mountain to make the hike that we were snowed out of last year, come back, spend the night at camp and then in the morning do hiking in that area. But it looks like you can't even park along the road with out an annual permit that you have to purchase. There's a heavy fine and your car is ticketed for illegal use of the area, if you don't.

We did manage to do a little bit of hiking, but the snow was still on the ground, and got thicker the higher we went. There has been quite a bit of winter weather damage with fallen trees, dirt slides, etc.

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
That was disappointing for you about the camping and the parking, Toby.
Its a shame when such natural beauty becomes such a problem for the public to enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed your hike though.

Thanks for the feedback on the other computer. Thats good news.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
Since Vista has been discussed in this Topic and elsewhere, I thought you might be interested. The following was published in this morning?s Seattle Times Newspaper, written by Briar Dudley, Technology Columnist.

Just a few  quotes:

?Early reviews of Windows 7 are glowing, but Microsoft?s new operating system won?t be available for at least three months.?

?Vista has improved since its debut in early 2007 and it?s working for 180 million people. But Windows 7 performs and looks better. It?s as if Vista went on summer vacation, lost its awkwardness and pimples, and came back elegant and poised.?

?If you?re comfortable with the process, you can start running Windows 7 today. A near final ?release candidate? version of the software is available free from Microsoft, but you?ll have to buy a full version after it expires in June.?

?Prices aren?t out yet, but it will probably cost around $200 for a new consumer version or less for an upgrade from Vista.?

?Flores (Microsoft?s Windows Marketing Director) said the new software is ?faster, more responsive, much easier to use, more refined, more reliable?.

(As I?m sure you?re aware, Microsoft headquarters is in Seattle, and the columnist probably has a direct line for info and publicity.)

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »
My colleague installed the beta version of Windows 7 on a computer in my day job.
Ive installed Bank Genie on it and it works as normal, so that was good to know  :).

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
Today we went to a local NGS open garden to sell some of our plants. As mentioned in another thread, we had several different Iris sibirica which did not have any buds or flowers on. They normally wouldn't sell for that reason. But they did have some of the pictures we made using GA049S01.

In total we took 66 various plants, and came back with just 12, none of those that came back were the Iris sibirica  ;D

Thank you George  :)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »
Very VERY impressive Malcolm. I'm proud of you!
Thanks for your suggestion to develop that template. What a magnificent application.

Nice to see Lyn on the stand. Those plants are almost fully grown!
I wish I could make it to one of those events _ I'd gladly take a few of your hands!

Did Lyn take a photo of you Malcolm?  :)

I have to ask this once again. How on earth do you do  it?
How do you manage to propagate and store so many plants AND overwinter AND grow our own - and for a charitable cause
I think another gold star is in order  ;)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »
Today we went to a local NGS open garden to sell some of our plants.

I have been reading this thread from time to time but not having plants to sell (or any of quality to sell) I have no need of the template and have not contributed to the discussion. It is nice to see the way it works though. Great that you got your Iris siberica sold that way, Lynn & Malcolm. You had a good day for it too.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »
............ I think another gold star is in order  ;)
As George suggested, here's another Gold Star Award for your recent venture.  :)

Laurie.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
Congatatulations Malcolm. Your endeavours have been duly recognised by the awards committe  ;D

RE: (Eric H)
but not having plants to sell I have no need of the template
What Malcolm has done is only one application Eric.
GA049 is for printing ANY type of photo, with your own text.
Being part of IG Pro, it allows you to select a plant, so a lot of info can be accessed "for free", as you've probably typed it in already in your database.
Similarly for Garden Area photos.
BUT, the program also allows you to select from folders, so you can pick any photos you like, from any device on your network, and print.
You can even print Family photos and photos of exquisite architecture ;)
Give it a go while its topical  :)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
What Malcolm has done is only one application Eric.
GA049 is for printing ANY type of photo, with your own text.
Being part of IG Pro, it allows you to select a plant, so a lot of info can be accessed "for free", as you've probably typed it in already in your database.
Similarly for Garden Area photos.
BUT, the program also allows you to select from folders, so you can pick any photos you like, from any device on your network, and print.
You can even print Family photos and photos of exquisite architecture ;)
Give it a go while its topical  :)

Thank you George, I obviously haven't been paying attention. I will have a go  :)

Eric H

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
You'll find plenty of help and encouragement as usual!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »

Laurie wrote

As George suggested, here's another Gold Star Award for your recent venture

Thank you Laurie and George  ;D

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »

Gearge wrote

Nice to see Lyn on the stand. Those plants are almost fully grown

Yes that is the problem here, not enough room to keep them, but stupid to throw them away when we divide our plants in Autumn/Spring making these new ones. And they are reasonably priced George, The dearest on that table were £3.50 if I remember rightly, in 2 or 3 litre pots.

Did Lyn take a photo of you Malcolm?

I am afraid not, the gate was just opening as I remembered you had asked for some pics, took them in a hurry before the peeps invaded the stall, sorry.

I have to ask this once again. How on earth do you do  it?
How do you manage to propagate and store so many plants AND overwinter AND grow our own - and for a charitable cause

I did say today, as we were sorting our plants into some sort of order on our own plant stall here, and trying to find somewhere to put them all.
That we would have far more time to enjoy our garden, and other pursuits, if we didn't sell plants. But it is a big draw to visitors on open days. Whenever most people come through the gate, they head straight for the plant stall, buy some plants and leave them in our version of a plant creche, then look round the garden, then have tea/cake.

The charitable cause was us less 20% which we gave to the Hardy plant society, who we were supposed to be representing.

Just an aside.......we have names for the "structures" we put up at different times of the year, for instance in the winter for sheltering tender plants
The "Tardis" which encloses the bananas.
The "Giraffe house" for the very tall plants.
And an extension to our plant sales area on open days, which is just opening our double gates behind the plant stall, which leads onto the grass verge, and we put a temporary barrier across, and call it "The pig pen"

Hope our neighbours don't hear us.  ;D

Malcolm