Author Topic: Uses for GA049S01  (Read 17654 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Uses for GA049S01
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »

We are off to the local Hardy Plant Society plant sale tomorrow, not to buy plants, we are selling plants.
We go every year at this time, to shift some of our five hundred plus  plants we have from divisions, cuttings or seed.

But at this time of year, not many have flowers on. We all know that a plant with flowers on will normally sell better than one without.

So next best thing is a picture of the plants. Well thanks to George and his software, most of the plants have pictures linked to them, no need to go searching through a hard disk bulging with photos, but not easy to find, been there done it in recent years.

I normally cut up a sheet of A4 photo paper into four, which will give me sheets of approx 105mm by 145mm a good size for each picture, and easy to set up a custom size of paper for the printer to work with. I cut off the white borders on the finished photo with the exception of the top border which I write the name of plant and height etc. The photos are then laminated and attached to a stick ready for popping into one of the plant pots, the photo ends up above the plant.

Had a quick look in GA049S01 and GA049S05 to see if I could get the size picture I wanted.
Of course being an awkward S-D I couldn't, unless you know different.

Perhaps you could give some thought to different sized photos in those dark nights next winter please.  :-*  ;D

All was not lost though, as all the original plant pictures for IG pro were in one folder on the computer, so easy to find the ones I wanted, I just did the same as previous years.

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Uses for GA049S01
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
I'm delighted to see you are using that program, Malcolm.
I see Ive set it up to print 1, 2 or 3 per A4 page, but not 4.
Thats very easy to change, so I will do that.
It would be useful for that application as you can add some text to each photo.
You want to write the text (name of plant, height etc in this case) at the top of the image Malcolm?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

It really doesn't matter if the text is at the top or bottom of the picture George.

The photos are in portrait four to a A4 sheet, that would be a great addition. I would do more for the plant stall here on open days.

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
Will do Malcolm.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »

We took more money this year than last, suprising as there were four plant sales in the area today, and a table top sale in the school next door to the hall we were in, so parking for the buyers was a problem.
Sold nine Brugmansias in about 15 minutes, just got about 35 left.  ;D but they will soon go when we open the garden.
I filled the van and the back of Lyns car with plants, only brought 3 boxes back.

So I reckon the pictures worked for us today

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
As George says, it's really good to see another aspect of his program being used to great effect.  8)

Malcolm, when you get time it would be nice if you could take a photo of the finished laminated flower image you produced, and post it here.  It could inspire others to try it.  Possibly a bit of info about the laminator machine used too, if it's yours or done by a laminating firm, and even the cost involved (if you don't mind revealing that of course.  ;) ).
It could prove to be very useful.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:35:52 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »

Laurie

At the moment I am not using GA049S01 to get the pictures onto paper, as it won't allow 4 pictures on A4.

But George  "The very nice man" he is, has said he will modify GA04S01 for us.  8)

The laminator is just a home/office A4 one, not too bad to buy £25 to £50, but the A4 laminating pouches are about 14p to 18p each when bought in a pack of 100. But of course you can laminate 4 pictures from one pouch.

We actually Laminate the A4 National Garden Scheme "Garden Open" signs we put out round the village. We used to use the plastic bag that the NGS supply, which was pretty useless in wet weather, as they misted up inside. This is another of the things we have learn't to do, but at our expense, when opening the garden.
I really must get round to writing a feature on opening our garden and what it entails.

This morning while in the local supermarket  not only did I have a list of what we had to get for ourselves, but also a list of the ingredients we use for making the different cakes for the open days, the list was used for noting down the prices and packed weight etc, so I could update the prices in our excel sheet, which woks out what it costs to make each cake, and also prints a list of ingredients and quantity we will need to make those different cakes.

I will certainly take a picture of the laminated flower image and text after George has obliged with the update.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
That sounds good Malcolm, we'll look forward to seeing your design once George gets the time to do the update.  :D

Explaining the preparations involved in getting ready to open your garden for visitors is a good idea.  I have the feeling that it's not as easy as it sounds, so we'll also look forward to knowing what it actually entails.  A lot of hard work no doubt, but very rewarding when you talk to visitors about your lovely planting schemes, and see all their happy faces.

This could also inspire other members to 'have a go.'  You never know.  ;)

Laurie.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
Pressure, pressure, pressure. I thought it would never start  ;D
Yip, I'll better oblige real quick. Have to keep this enthusiasm rollin'

Just so you are aware, the new edition of Bank Genie is my current project.
Bank Genie has a new interface, which will be applied to all my software items in the next respective upgrades.
Ive spent many hours researching and learning new programming techniques to overcome the technical problems involved.
Its a major twist to how the software works.

I'm really pleased with the "new look" and "new feel" and I'm very pleased to say, Barry likes it.
I'll set it up as a download so you folk can have a look.

But, I'll break off for this program update for you guys! It will be fun.

By the way, I'm taking it a little easier this past few months. I take a break to watch the Champions league football  :)
Its been a great season.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:23:28 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »
Certainly no pressure George - but you've risen to the challenge magnificently.  :D

Once that little 'tweak' for the flower software has been done, we'll all be behind you to ensure you go full throttle at Bank Genie.

I know the Bank Genie users on the Forum will want to fully road-test its progress and give you good feedback, but hopefully other members will try to help out as much as they can.

I have to confess that my Forum time was lessened slightly just recently over the 17-day TV coverage of the Snooker World Championship.  ::)  Fortunately Kathy doesn't mind as she likes to watch it too.

I'm not a football fan so don't bother to follow any of that.

Laurie.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
The snooker is addictive, Laurie. Once you start watching it you are hooked.

I'll have a look at GA049 tomorrow. It should be easy enough.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »
Ive created two new templates which both print 4 photos on an A4 page
One teplate is designed for Portrait photos
The second for Landscape type photos

2 downloads required:

(1)
GA049
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/GA049-dl-exe
This should indicate Version 5 after installation

Reminder (before starting the next download):
Start GA200. Item 6 shows you the path to the Core data folder on your computer.

(2)
The new templates.
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/picpages-dl.exe
By default, this download installs 3 files in this folder:
c:\documents and settings\<user name>\local settings\temp\picpages
Open the folder and movbe the 3 files to the Core data folder (see above)

Alternatively (easier)
During installation, look for the option to Change the installation folder.
Change it to the Core data folder.

Have fun!
(Let me know how it goes,please)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »

Thank you George

Will take the downloads, and report back later, just a couple of paid jobs to go to this morning.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »

I have been able to try GA049S01 out with the new 4 to an A4 page in portrait, after taking the two updates George.

The pictures come out fine, no problem, just a small anomaly in the fact that the top two pictures titles are on the white border below the pictures, no problem with that.
And the bottom two pictures the titles are on the bottom of the photo, the print for these is on a white background.

Now this could be a printer specific problem ? There is room for the titles below the bottom pictures.

This is going to be very usefull to me, thank you George

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »
I tinkered with that until well after midnight last night. For some reason, the text wouldn't print when I had the text below the 2 bottom images, even though, as you say, there appeared to plenty of white space to take the text.
So I threw in the towel and moved them up, so I could get the update released.

I will experiment again when I get a minute. I may have to reduce the size of the photos, but that will be a very last resort.

Try the Portrait template. In that, the text appears on all four images. I had to do that due to my attempt to print the largest possible size.
It didn't spoil any of my photos. What do you think?

Incidentally, the program works if you omit the text.

I'm really pleased you are finding this useful.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »
Just a couple of questions please.

When you click on "help me with text" in GA49S02, then click on "plant data" where is this data picked up from. Those three buttons could be very helpfull in GA049S07

The thumbnail in GA100S60, what folder is the programme getting this thumbnail from.

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
The program generates the thumbnail, Malcolm. Its saved to a temporary file on disc then deleted.
I'll have a look a GA049S07 now.

RE:
When you click on "help me with text" in GA49S02, then click on "plant data" where is this data picked up from

In the case of a Plant Photo:
1) Photo Title: This comes from the information you enter when you link a photo to a plant in GA030 etc.
2) Photo Desc: as (1) above. Theres a big field to allow you to type as much info as you like about the photo
This is then re-usable in this Photo printing program (and in other features)
3) Plant Data. This comes from the Plant Data text you enter when you add or edit a plant in screen GA100S36
Again, its reusable here in GA049 and elsewhere.

In the case of a Garden Photo:
1) as (1) above
2) as (2) above
3) Garden Area Desc
This comes from the text you entered when you added the Garden Area to your garden.
e.g. In GA027 click the Gardens tab
Click the WW button and get into screen GA100S10
Double click on a garden area (or add a new one) and get into GA100S12
Type some text.
That is then used by GA049
Again, its reusable elsewhere, in particular when you print a report of your garden (GA016), or do a Garden Tour document GA015. Have you tried that report yet?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:06:33 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »
It was in portrait that I tried the programme George,
If were to be easier then no probs with making the pictures slightly smaller.
I did notice you were burning that midnight oil again last night. ;D

The best use for this part of the program would be for the labels on sticks in a pot, with the labels above our sales plants. The text would have name, height and price on them, great stuff.

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
There is only room for one line of text in the template I provided (I think)
Is it big enough to take all that info?

Is the font name and font size OK?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
Sorry about the cross posting

That data is picked up from the information you have entered in other features in the system

Can you say where /what those "other features" are/where.please.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:21:28 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »

One line is fine, perhaps the size of font could be a bit bigger, at the cost of size of picture is ok.

Malcolm

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »
Ive updated the posting Malcolm with more information. Sorry about being vague. I had to do a look up to remind myself.

NightHawk

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
I've got a problem with the layout of my photos in the test I have done.

• Preferences in IG Pro set to Metric
  • All 4 Photos re-sized as suggested
  • In IG Pro, screen GA049S05, under Photo Page Options I selected 4 Photos with text - Portrait style
  • Then went to screen GA049S02.  Stage 1. Select a Photo Template has 4 Photos with text - Portrait style selected.
    After all 4 photos imported and given names I clicked on the PRINT button in screen GA049S02 and got a preview as shown below

The plant names should be underneath each photo, but for some reason there's a large gap.

I've probably done something wrong along the way, so I await a chastisement.  ;)

Laurie.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
and Ive editied it again to explain about Garden Area photos.

I found a bug.
When you click the option A photo linked to a garden area
then click Get a Garden Area you get to GA049S07
In that screen, do this workaround to bypass the bug:
Use the pop-up to Select ANOTHER garden are, even if the default one shown is correct.
Then select the Garden Area you want.
You should then get through to the screen to select a Garden Photo.

Will fix that tonight.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
Laurie
Nice presentation!
Youve used the Portrait template, but you appear to be printing landscape images.
Try using the Landscape template for those images