Author Topic: Bulbocodium vernum  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Palustris

Bulbocodium vernum
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
This is a lovely but quite small spring bulb, about the size of a small crocus.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Bulbocodium vernum
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
A very nice one Eric and thanks for the introduction.
That plant is in the Master Database. No photo at present,so an inclusion in another CD sometime would be much appreciated.
Ivebeen working on your photos last week - the named photos older. My,its packed with photos.
The odd thing is - the Master Database has 36,000 plants, yet when I go to link your photos I very often find I have to add yet another plant to the database!
You have grown a very extensive range of plants Eric  :)

Incidentally, I did a quick surf, and that one has 11 suppliers listed in the RHS Plantfinder
Theres also one plant in the RHS plant finder with the name Bulbocodium vernum white-flowered
Only one supplier for that one.
Add the plant to your database, and Click your RHS button folk.

Heres a page with useful info about Eric plant:
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=08-0101                                                       

Whats your appraisal of that one Eric? Do you recommend it?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
Never seen the white one, would love to get hold of that. As for the other, well I have only ever succeded with it in the Alpine house. I have tried it outside on the rock garden where it flowers, but then dies. It does set copious seed so I have a few potfuls of babies waiting to to tried in different places to see if I can find the right home. If these set seed I can send you some.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »
They would be very much appreciated, Eric. Growing from seed is one of the most satisfying things about gardening in my book.
Greenhouse is pretty crammed with seed trays at present, and I'm enjoying the daily inspection to see how they germinate.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
Flowering again now, spread a bit in the Alpine house too. Did I ever send you the seeds or did I forget (again!).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
Yes you did Eric,on 20th July and they germinated. However the slender stems dried up after I gave them some water to start them off again in spring.
I sowed shortly after I received them from you in a "6 pack" tray in well drained compost (about half agricultural grit)
Ive been out in the greenhouse to do a check, inspecting whats at the root end of the thin brown stems in one compartment. Don't see any small bulbs. Have I killed them with too much water at the wrong time? They were on the staging in my cold greenhouse.

On the same date, you also sent me:
2) Leucojum nicarense (Germinated and grew. I potted one up and it had a nice little bulb formed (about 3-4mm dia)
3) Cyclamen hederifolium - Ive never had much luck with these from seed, but to my surprise, I have about 5 seedlings.
4) Lathyrus aureus - I have two precious seedlings - still quite small.

1 2 and 3 germinated a few weeks after sowing

I have to say I was very impressed in the viability of your seed 8)
Some of the seed I bought last year never even germinated :'(

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:09:37 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
They do take a while to grow bulbs, but yes there should be some small bulb on the end of the stem, however, they could be very thin. The adult bulb is not very big to begin with. I will send you some more in few weeks time.............if I remember. Please remind me, I will not be upset.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
Is the dieback to brown stems not a major worry? I'm going to have a closer inspection now its daylight.
Thanks once again for your kind offer, Eric.