Plants > Propagation

Propagating Clematis

<< < (2/4) > >>

ideasguy:
Good research there Kathy, and I see it reinforces Erics internodal advice!
I must get my heated propagator working again! It hasnt been turned on for a few years!

Keep us informed about the results of your endeavours. It will make this topic all the more interesting. Anyone else joining in this project?

Nice range iof Clematis there - I'm impressed.
As always, any photos would be much appreciated for the Master DB.  I already have pics for Crystal Fountain - I think we agree that its a real beauty.

Palustris:
At the last count we have planted nearly 150 Clematis. I am not sure how many are still alive, but it must be well over the 100. Sadly most of them are no longer labelled, but I do have pics of the flowers so perhaps..........................

When you insert the cuttings in the compost you push them down until the base of the leaf is just sitting on the soil by the way.

We have not got Nelly Moser though. It is not one I am that fond of to be honest.

bossgard:
The following is taken from the December 1998, Issue #24, of the Garden Gate magazine. Thought it might be of interest, it is taken from the magazine?s Tips & Techniques page, which publishes tips from readers. I have not used this, sounds intriguing, but will probably this year. - Toby

?You can never have too much of a good thing. And gardeners are almost always clamoring for clematis. Eva Smith of Oklahoma propagates her own by layering.

In late summer or early autumn, she digs two trenches only a couple of inches deep in opposite directions from the base of a well-established clematis plant, being careful not to disturb the roots. Then she removes two of the plants vines from their support and lays one down in each trench. Eva snips off all the leaves and covers, each trench with soil, mulches with compost and waters well. By the next spring, the clematis vines that she buried take root.

Eva says, ?Every place along the runner where I snip a leaf, it roots and puts up a shoot. And in my experience, all the new shoots bloom that spring.?

In the fall, each plant is ready to transplant to a different spot or to a friend?s garden. Each time she plants a new clematis, Eva mixes in a few handfuls of compost to improve soil texture and a cup of lime to bring up the pH of her acid soil.

To make transplanting easier, you could bury nursery pots in the soil and layer the clematis in the pots. Then you?d only have to dig up each plant in its container and cut through the parent vine stringing the plants together. ?

ideasguy:
RE:
--- Quote ---When you insert the cuttings in the compost you push them down until the base of the leaf is just sitting on the soil by the way.
--- End quote ---
Thanks for that Eric - duly noted

Toby:
That is a very interesting story. It sounds almost too good and too easy to be true, but it does sound quite plausible.
I'm convinced! I'm definitely going to give that method a try (along with the above discussed method of course)
Surely I'll get something out of all those ideas  ;D.

All members: Post here if you are joining in this project. The more feedback from our results we get the better.

NightHawk:
I have some Lonicera Halliana that has two vines creeping along the edge of the fence at soil level, I think I may try that Layering idea.

I would dearly love to do the same with the clematis I have, but as they are all (bar one) newly planted this year they only have one or two strong upward growing vines that have delevoped shoots laterally. So I have nothing this year to layer.
The one that has grown an awful lot of vines is the V.Betty Corning. I am very impressed with the amount of growth this year and how many flowers it had, its still has some flowers on it. Another great plus for this Clematis is its one of the few thats scented.

Kathy :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version