Plants > Propagation

Propagating Clematis

<< < (4/4)

ideasguy:
RE: (Eric)
--- Quote ---If the cuttings are still healthy then you stand a chance of them rooting
--- End quote ---
The problem with Clematis stems, they always look kinda dead!
I'll leave mine for a few weeks and see what happens

Sorry to hear your cuttings didnt take, Kathy and Laurie.
Lets ask some more questions, and see if we can do better next time.

My first question: Should we take cuttings of this years growth, or from older stem?
The cuttings I took were older stems, but I selected stems with buds at the nodes.
Question 2: What time of year?

Palustris:
I have always used new growth for cuttings and after flowering seems to be the preferred time.

ideasguy:
That seems like a good idea. At that stage it would be thought of as "semi-ripe", I guess.
I took a few more cuttings earlier today.
I accidentally broke a new shoot on a  new Clematis I bought recently, still in pots.  I potted it up per your instructions, and also took a few from Nelly.)
I'll take your advice and try a few more after flowering, as thats the best time to prune the early flowering varieties (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Palustris:
Correct about the pruning  of early flowerers. The cuttings should have a pair of good clean leaves on them which indicate the health of the cutting. I must admit that I have not bothered for a while, since the bottom heating in the prop bench packed up. They really do need some form of subsoil heating for reasonable success.

ideasguy:
I havent used my undersoil heater for a few years. Its still in place.
I'm sure there are much more efficient methods on the go nowadays. More research!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version