Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop CS3  (Read 7372 times)

Offline bossgard

Adobe Photoshop CS3
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »
Kathie and Laurie:
Is Adobe Photoshop CS3 the software that I should purchase as a beginner? Adobe also has a Creative Suite 3 shown. You are certainly correct, either one would be the most that I have ever paid for software!  For your record, I purchased a Kodak V570 camera over a year ago, have yet to take a picture with it, gardenwise or other. I start reading the User Guide, and all the settings, etc., scare me. Besides using the camera in the garden, I also do quite a bit of hiking (beautiful scenery here) where I will use it. Kodak does have a pretty nice website, very helpful so far.
- Toby

NightHawk

Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:31 PM »
Hi Toby

First of all, Photoshop CS3 is definitely NOT for beginners.  It is both VERY expensive and difficult to learn.  Typically, if you do graphics design as part of your everyday work then it is worth the expense.  I know other people do use this version, which is their choice and I do not condemn them for that.  I have tried the full version of Photoshop CS3 as a trial, so I can speak from experience - and I am an experienced computer user and graphics designer.

Myself, and I know George, both use Photoshop Elements.  Think of this as the baby of Photoshop CS3, but don't be fooled by this.  It is an extremely powerful version of Photoshop CS3, with some of the features disabled, but is a lot easier to learn.  As a side-note, I know of people who have purchased CS3 and still also buy Photoshop Elements - because Elements has a 'Photo Organizer' feature that CS3 does not have.  That is another story so I won't confuse you here.

As regards cost - Photshop Elements 6.0 will cost you around $99, as opposed to Photoshop CS3 costing $649.  These are Adobe online store prices for the full versions, but if you shop around you could get it cheaper.

For a beginner I would recommend Photoshop Elements.  You certainly won't be disappointed, and as myself and George are familiar with this software we can give you help if you get stuck with it.

I know new digital cameras can be very daunting with all their menu choices, but persevere and 'jump right in' and you'll be surprised.

I have been brought up over the years on manual 35mm cameras, where you set everything yourself.  When I switched over to digital, I must confess that it took me a while to get used to the large array of menu choices available to achieve the same results.  So I know exactly what you mean about being confused.

The best thing I can suggest is to get your camera and just take a picture.  It will have a default setting which should give acceptable results.  Once you've seen what they look like, then you can experiment.  Although I'm not familiar with your particular model of camera, they generally give some basic Scene Modes to choose from - e.g. sunsets, portraits, landscapes, etc.  You just need to decide on the type of subject you will want to take a picture of, then look up in your user manual what button presses you need to make to get your camera into that particular mode.

Just don't be afraid Toby.  You can't damage your camera by experimenting.  The most you would lose is a particular photograph you wanted to take, but if you can go back again another time to get it, then you've nothing to worry about.

Of course, the beauty of digital is that it does not cost you anything financially by just taking loads of pictures whilst you're experimenting.  That is the key here, experimentation.  Do not be intimidated by your camera.  You will be glad you persevered when you finally see the results of your efforts.

We have something else in common here Toby - hiking.  Kathy and I also do a lot of countryside expeditions, getting out into the clean fresh air and marvelling at the great British countryside.  I'm sure you have siimilar beautiful places in your neck of the woods 'across the pond'.  We do a lot of birdwatching as well, so we get to see the countryside and the wildlife we so dearly love.

I hope I have given you food for thought.

Don't hesitate to get back to me for further info and advice.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:49:07 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
Hi there Lynda from Spain here.  I was interested to hear your comments about photoshop elements, I was looking at tit the other day as I thought it might help cataloging pictures for my gardening book, that i am writing.  I work on a Mac and although 'iphoto' is good elements sounds like it has a bit more to offer.  After reading your thoughts on it I think i will go ahead an order it.  I have a a Fuji finepix S8000fd which my husband bought me for Christmas.  He used to be Editor on a photographic mag, and although i initially wanted a CanonEs i am really pleased with it.  Will attach a pic if i can but last time i tried i had problems resizing mine to upload to the site.
Regards  Lynda

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
Hi Lynda

I'm pleased to hear that you like the sound of 'Elements'.  I think this will work great for you.

You've probably read the write-up about the 'Photo Organizer' feature, which enables you to put 'tags' on a specific set of photos.  These are like electronic markers, so if you have several hundred photos of flowers in your collection and you only wanted to pick out say Pansies, then you would assign a tag for 'Pansies' to each of those photos and Elements will display only those.
Of course, don't forget whichever flower software of George's you have, Flower Genie or Ideas Genie / Ideas Genie Pro, you will have them catalogued there for your reference.

Another powerful feature of 'Elements' is the way you can easily resize your photos, and when you come to save them for posting on the Forum you would use the 'Save for web' option.  This will show your photo on a side-by-side screen.  The original on the left with its file size on disc and the right hand side one is what it will look like when you play with the compression settings.  Below this photo you will see the file size on the fly.  This is especially useful if your photo is being stored on your hard drive and are attaching it to be uploaded to George's server.  As you know the file size limit is 128kb, so 'Elements' will let you get the file size just right.
PERFECT!  8)

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your pictures.

Laurie.

P.S.  With your husband's connection with photography it would be great to have his input, particularly in this section of the Forum.   8)

It's a shame you didn't get the camera you wanted - Canon have an exceptional range of excellent models.  But I'm sure your husband chose you a good alternative.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:43:08 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
I think I should butt in here and let y'all know about a new "tool" which Ive developed in IG Pro.
Its a - resize program  :)
Rather than upset thios thread, please see the topic Ive just posted in "Whats New" in the Ideas Genie Pro board on this forum.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
Kathie and Laurie:
I now have Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 installed on my computer - which looks like lots of fun to have serious play with. Two questions, should I download 'Essentials 2' which is supposed to be a 'perfect companion to Adobe Photoshop Elements' from Adobe? They offer a $20.00 savings on it. Also, Adobe offers book entitled 'Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 Classroom in a Book', should I purchase - $35.? Appreciate your help!
- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »
Hi Toby

Glad to see you've taken the plunge and got Photoshop Elements 6.  You'll have great fun playing with it.

I would not recommend spending more money on Essentials 2 at this time.  I don't have it and I can do great things with the features Elements 6 offers as standard.

As regards the book.  I would highly recommend "Photoshop Elements 6 - The Missing Manual".  I have this book and it goes through every feature of Elements in easy to follow steps.  It's written by Barbara Brundage, ISBN-10: 0596514441 / ISBN-13: 978-0596514440, from Pogue Press/O'Reilly.  I purchased mine through Amazon.co.uk.  You should be able to get yours through Amazon.com, for about $39.99.  An invaluable resource as a reference, and should be ideal for you as a beginner.  ;)  I love it.

Laurie.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
Hi Kathy & Laurie
Thank you for all the info. and also George about the new resizing tool - I will have a look at that in a moment.  Just wanted to say that I have ordered ' the missing manual' to go with 'Elements'  as I have one of the other books in the range and like you say they are very good.
I will try and get some pics resized and posted on the forum. Had to hire a digger at the weekend to move a couple of palm trees, fingers crossed they survive - so far so good.  Just planning to plant a Small lemon grove in a nother area.  Weeds here in Spain are a constant problem and the more soil you can cover up the better.  We are covering a nother bed today with weed suppresant ad then we cover that with pebbles. Will take a pic.
Thanks for the useful advice.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
Hold off on the resizer program, Lynda
Laurie has downloaded and tested, and has reported a problem, and I have identified the source. Please wait until I give the nod that its fixed  ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »
Just wanted to say that I have ordered ' the missing manual' to go with 'Elements'  as I have one of the other books in the range and like you say they are very good.
I'm glad you took my advice.  I think this book is invaluable, no matter what your skill level is.  ;)

Had to hire a digger at the weekend to move a couple of palm trees.....
WOW!  I'm impressed.  :o  We really envy people who have large gardens.  You could probably fill ours with the digger alone (well, almost).  :(

Good luck with all that and we look forward to seeing some 'piccies.'

Kathy & Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:17 AM »
I now have some photos I have taken of a public garden that I would like to share with members of the Forum. Could somebody give me instructions on how to go about doing this? The pictures are residing in a folder in the picture gallery of my Kodak Easy Share Program, I have no problem in locating them. Kodak Easy Share gives me instructions on how to attach to an email message, is there any similarity? Do I worry about resizing? I have not been in to PhotoShop Elements 6, yet. The pictures look pretty good the way they are now. Would appreciate the help. I know that there is an attchment button under the Additional Options on this Forum posting procedure, have not investigated. Thanks!
- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:55:17 AM »
Try using the new resizer program Toby (see discussion and download link in another recent thread on the forum).
Play around with the settings.
I suggest you set both resized values (in the program) to 600.

Until you get the hang of the program, make a copy of your original photos before doing anything.
The aim is to make a rezized COPY of the original.
When you have used the program, and have a look at the resized files using My Computer or Windows explorer, they need to be no bigger than 125kb to be accepted by the forum.
Let me know how you get on.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the help, George! I figured that it will take me a little while to get ahead with posting photos to the Forum. Working with my photos is turning out to be very interesting, it's that first step in pushing the button on the camera that is the hardest.  Will keep you posted on how I make out.
- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
Thats great Toby.
Incidentally, Id love to hear how you are getting on with the Kodak Easy Share software. Any problems?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
Laurie and George: With your keen interest in garden photography and technical type computer stuff I was wondering if you both are familiar to Microsoft?s evidently new developments (software) called Photosynth. It has had quite a bit of coverage by one of Seattle?s newspapers, because of a recent ?trial? release to the general public. Click on: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/146692.asp and play the two videos, go to the home page and do a search on Photosynth for more information. I can see working with this with Ideas Genie.
- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 09:45:06 PM »
Thanks for that Toby.

I've had a look at the videos, and indeed it does sound like a cool piece of software.

I had one main concern though when I followed a description of how this works at this link - http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/375857_msftphotosynth21.html and it was the following extract that got my attention:

"In addition, all photos that people upload to the service will be public, findable through the Photosynth search tool, with no option for keeping a collection private or limiting the availability to just a selected group."

All the photos we currently upload to our own Forum are kept within that environment, so there is no copyright issue.  However, the statement above with the Photosynth service makes all your photos available to anyone, which instantly takes away any copyright you may have wished to keep.  All your precious photos could be collected and used by anyone who gets access to them for whatever reason they want.

I'll see what George has to say about it, and any other of our members who have views about it, but I'm slightly perturbed about this service.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:50:51 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »
Ive had a look at the videos, and thanks for posting the info and the links Toby. See, you're right out in front on the technology and software scene!

I would have to give it a try myself to judge properly. I notice that it takes quite a lot of photos, from one or many contributors for the synth to work. Zooming in on individual images would also mean the photos would need to be high resolution. High res= big files, normally, so it would be interesting to see how long it would take to download.

As for copyright, the person who takes the photo has copyright. Trying to prove it may be rather difficult when its uploaded.
People who contribute images to that project may not be in the least worried about copyright.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
George and Laurie:
You gentlemen are the techies, and I didn't scrutinize the info that much, but the way I'm picturing it at this point, is that this that they are introducing is a free trial run for the public to participate in to work out the bugs. So, yes, the photos I might upload now would be under those conditions, but the final program would be issued as software I would purchase, that I would use in my own house, on my own computer, so the pictures would remain on my computer and it would not be necessary to upload anything.
And of course, this is all preliminary, a lot can change from here to there. I assume that you will keep your eyes on it, anyway, and I will let you know of any other info comes my way. I assume you also realize that Microsoft Corp. is practically in my back yard, they are headquartered in the city of Redmond WA, a half-hour drive away, have been past their campuses quite a few time. They also rent space in downtown Seattle, and several locations around here. Plus, what they have around the world. Also, the UW/Microsoft means that this is a joint project between the University of Washington (located in Seattle) and Microsoft. Boy, I'm sure full of information! Or is that a lot of bull ----! (LOL) Here is another one, did you know that Amazon.com was founded in Seattle?
- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »
Toby, you are a wealth of information and we truly value your input on the Forum, no matter what the subject is about.  ;D

I agree that it is worth keeping an eye on Photosynth, just to see how it develops.

Again I have to agree with George, you are keeping abreast of the current technology, which is a good thing to do.  New developments are coming out all the time, and it's difficult to keep pace with it.  Or should I say it's expensive to keep pace with it.  :D

Have a good and safe hiking trip tomorrow Toby, and we'll catch up with you later.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »
You must have been charging your batteries during that summer "interlude", Toby. You are buzzin' with vitality!
Have a good trip, and take care!