Ideas Genie > What we do with Ideas Genie

Using the Articles program

(1/7) > >>

bossgard:
This is an interesting topic and Ive decided to broadcast it so members out there can look in on the thread and learn how to get the most out of the articles program (Articles - GA007 is exactly the same in Ideas Genie, Bonsai Genie and Ideas Genie Pro).
Please log-in and catch up on the dialog so far.
You'll find recommended tutorials. Once youve worked through those, then you are ready to have a go at the "Challenges" set further into this topic. If you get stuck, simply post yur questions. We will all learn from the questions and answers.
Recommended to all!

OK, heres how the thread originated, with an innocent question from Toby the Boss (aka Bossgard).

George: Have some questions re: organizing my material to prepare for CHALLENGES.

Preliminary info: I walked myself through the steps that you gave to Brian for EVENTS GA011, SPECIMENS GA029 & TASKS GA047. Stumbled quite a bit, but at least generated print-outs for GA047 and GA011. All I can say is WOW! My head is spinning now thinking of how I can best use those. But will save any questions until you?re ready with the CHALLENGES.

I don?t think that you have mentioned them, but I hope you also have us work with GA007 ARTICLES. In preparation, I have linked a magazine to a Genus using GA007. I have many, many (too many) newspaper clippings of gardening articles written by local garden writers, who give very good advice that I?m trying to organize to enter into IG Pro 5.

Q. Will I be using GA007 LINKING A MAGAZINE ARTICLE to do this? If so, what information will be important to keep? Should I retain the author?s name, the newpaper name and publication date, along with the actual article? If I start cutting words apart, I will lose some information that I might need later. Your advice, please. Thanks.

- Toby

ideasguy:
I'm flat out on the new edition of Bank Genie to make some headway, but will be a able to take a little time out to get the Challenges started soon.

GA007 - The Articles program
I'm glad you asked about that. Its was a little masterpiece at the time, but I fear its not being used enough - I font get much feedback  :'(

The best way to learn how to so articles is to do the tutorials for GA007.
The impportant thing is to read the "Pre-requisites" for each tutorial.
In the case of asrticles, yeou need to add Books, Magazines etc to the system.
Theres a program or each of these.
Go to Files, and run Programs GA008, GA009, GA010 and GA020
Add your own titles in each case.
Then do the tutorials for GA007.
Let me know how that goes

Yes, we'll do an Articles challenge as well. I'd like to get feedback and make sure folk know how to use it.

bossgard:
George:

I?m sorry, and I hate to take up your very busy time, but I don?t think I made myself quite clear regarding GA007 ARTICLES. I did run through the tutorials as you are suggesting, and as I said linked a magazine article to the Genus.

However, I didn?t think using the magazine edition information quite fitted the entering of the newspaper information. Would you like me to do a test run on the GA007 ARTICLES using all 3; books, magazines, and also using the magazine data entry for the newspaper clippings, and feed you back that info on how the whole thing goes, when you need it?

Just answer yes or no, will act accordingly  . . . . . rain is scheduled for tomorrow, will give me a good time to really get it going. At your beck and call  . . .

- Toby

ideasguy:
I would use "Other" for newspaper cuttings.
However, I'm not sure what you intend to do you with the newspaper clippings, so question to you:
Do you want to
a) scan them to make a jpg, bitmap, pdf etc?
b) Use OCR to capture the text in the article, to sane typing
c) Retype the text in the article

In the case of b) and c) the instructions are the same as explained in tutorial:
GA007 4(32) Add an internet resource

Follow those instruction steps and use the same principles for b) and c)

In GA007S02 the secret is to click the Add a memo document button
Thats the main purpose of GA007.

bossgard:
George:

Definitely not ?c?. Have been into the OCR program, but it took awhile to get hard copy instructions printed out, and the scanning is certainly a possibility. Am working on the OCR as time allows.

Played with the Tutorials again today and worked with the ?Other Source? and think by the time I get through, that might be the choice for newspaper clippings (Also noticed ?Scanned Doc.?, and ?Word? buttons.) By doing that, the three main sources of articles I have (books, magazines, newspaper) would then have their own ?home?, at least to start with. But those decisions can be made later, after I play a little bit more, and when you are ready with the CHALLENGES.

The decision I need to make now is preparing those newspaper clippings for the work that I will do with them later. The books and magazines are all filed and easy to find and work, but the clippings are stored in quite a few boxes, with excess paper baggage that I do not need. That prompted the questions.

Example: Two of the writers write Q&A columns with probably 3 or 4 different questions and answers, each covering different gardening topics, in the same article. At this point I have decided to cut the various questions together with their answers apart, attach each of them separately to standard size paper, paper clip those together and attach info identifying them by date, author, source, captions, whatever, etc. Doing it that way, I will have the info I need at my finger tips when I start working with them, and not have all the excess newspaper sections that I have retained. It?s like cleaning out the junk, and having the ?good stuff? left.

Sorry, if I?m a ?pain-in-the-neck?, especially since you are busy with Bank Genie.

- Toby

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version