Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 4203 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
New Laptop
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Finally took the plunge and bought a windows 8 asus X551MA 15" screen, must say very impressive, and now the hard work begins putting everything i need on it and getting used to windows 8

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
Enjoy it, Phil. I must say I haven't tried the joys (?) of Windows 8. It took me enough time to get used to Windows 7 after XP. My computer is a Mac but I kept to Windows with my laptop so that I could continue to use George's wonderful banking programme.

Eric H.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
Good luck indeed Phil.

Been there, done that, got the proverbial 't-shirt'  ::)

It can be a nightmare getting all your software installed and various settings just how you want them.

My best advice is, work methodically and prioritise your work.  Get the most important software on there first, and take your time.

I'm still a Windows 7 user so can't offer any specific advice for what to expect from Win 8.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
thanks, my main concern was email, sound daft but i am used to outlook express etc i like to have my emails on my desktop so to speak, and i did not relish the thought of having to logon to eircom webmail or my wesites online email to get my emails, but you can auto download emails into one place that would go to outlook etc, so far i have done gmail, got my website email setup via imap, all i need now is to work out eircom which is basically the same as your bt, eircom is my internet provider, the fun goes on, and i switched it on last night and forgot the password to logon, i had the correct word just forgot the capital letter in it  ::)

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »
Ah Phil, usernames and passwords.  The bane of all computer users.  If you forget them, or mistype them, the results can be very frustrating  :'(

Remembering them all can be very frustrating too, especially the really secure ones, but I have a password manager to store them all.  It encrypts them with the military grade AES (Advanced Encryption System).  I also have them backed up in my Roladex TM, so I've got a paper record too  ::)

Anyway, good luck again, but I'm sure you'll get sorted out eventually  ;)