Author Topic: Internet Explorer 9  (Read 7158 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Internet Explorer 9
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »
Jacqui, one of our new forum members, is the first to report registering the software using IE9.
Recalling the problems I had when IE8 was introduced, I'm very relieved to say that it succeeded - BIG Phewwwww!

Has anyone else downloaded IE9?

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Internet Explorer 9
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
Sorry George, I am a Mozilla Firefox fan myself  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
I use Mozilla because IE8 had the weird problems when posting on the forum.
However, I'm not convinced about it. It takes longer to load (on my computer) that IE8 and even though I now have BT Infinity I don't see much advantage from my recent upgrade from normal broadband. I suspect there are too many things happening in the background (????) so it has to do its thing before presenting a page. Perhaps I am being skeptical, as that suspicion is not based on research. If someone has time to investigate that, it would be much appreciated!

When you use links in my garden software Bank Genie software (see on line banking program Eric) the links when clicked will automatically open IE, no matter which browser is configured as your default browser.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:01:14 AM »
We are the opposite way round IE9 is much much slower than Firefox. Though we are using Firefox 3. something as we cannot get Firefox 4 to load for some reason.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
Well that supports the manufacturers claim that IE9 is faster than IE8 Eric.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »
I installed IE9  a couple of weeks ago during one of my regular Windows updates sessions.

There were a coupe of niggly things about it I didn't like, one of them was to do with a change in the interface, minor but not to my liking.

The other thing was an incompatibility problem with some other software, or web site I was interacting with (not this one), but I can't remember what the specific problem was now.  It was enough for me to immediately uninstall IE9 and go back to IE8.  As for IE9 being faster than IE8, well I didn't notice any significant difference.  But to be fair, I hadn't road-tested it for very long.

I also use Firefox for comparison purposes during various surfing sessions.  I was using version 3.6.17 until version 4 came out recently, but version 4 is not yet fully compatible with certain browser add-ons for regular software I use, some of them security related.  Mozilla state that they will eventually get the add-on compatibility sorted out, but I have reinstalled version 3.6.17 to continue being able to use Firefox fully.

I have also installed Google Chrome, again for test purposes, so if you like a very stripped down browser interface (which is supposed to add extra speed to the browsing experience), then it's probably worth a try.
Personally, I've not noticed a whole lot of difference between Chrome and Firefox.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:33:11 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
Well it might be faster, but it is certainly not as much use. We will carry on with Firefox and like Laurie use the older version until they sort out the Add-ons. And until Grandson turns up to put Firefox 4 on our machine!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
When you use links in my garden software Bank Genie software (see on line banking program Eric) the links when clicked will automatically open IE, no matter which browser is configured as your default browser.

I have just tested it by opening online Help with Bank Genie Pro 4, George, and window opened in Mozilla  ??? (Version 4.0.1)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:48:26 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
Well spotted Eric, and that is interesting!

Try setting a link to an on line Bank for one of your Accounts in the program Online Banking Transactions - BS412 Eric.
What browser opens?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
I have done that George and (in this case the Nationwide) bank opened with Firefox again.

Edit: It occurred to me that as Mozilla Firefox was already open, that might have been the reason. I closed Firefox and tried again but yes, Firefox was the programme chosen to open the site.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:26:41 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
Interesting indeed!!

OK, try this Eric.
In Ideas Genie Pro, edit a plant and get to the screen GA100S36.
Click the Google button.
What browser opens?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
I have tried that, George, but am a bit puzzled. The Google page opened and I don't think it was Firefox but it didn't have the Internet Explorer logo either. The previous experiments which opened up in Firefox just appeared as an additional tab to the tabs I usually have open. This time Google was a stand alone page. Actually it looked like part of the Ideas Genie programme because it was within a frame with the Ideas Genie buttons. I think the best thing is for me to email you a view of the computer screen, which I will do now.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Thanks for testing that Eric.

Heres your screenshot for all to see:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/forumpics/EricHardy-IE9%20topic%20on%20forum.JPG

As you see, Ideas Genie presents a special instance of IE within one of its own special screens. By doing so, I can add my own controls for the user to seamlessly integrate Ideas Genie with the information in the browser. e.g. you can copy and paste data from the web page onto the Ideas Genie Surfboard (click the Surfboard button on that screen) and the data saved on the surfboard is carried back and accessible in other screens in Ideas Genie which have the surfboard button. In those screens you click the surfboard to open and view the data again. The data can be copied selectively and pasted into any data field in IG.

After all that, I'm relieved that all is functioning correctly when IE9 is installed 8)
Thanks again Eric :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
Thanks for testing that Eric

A pleasure, George  :)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:27 AM »
Actually there is one place where Ideas Genie automatically goes to IE and that is when you generate and View pages in the WPG section. It tries to open IE even if Firefox is already open.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Yes, well spotted Eric.
Does it open up IE9 on your computer?
How does it look?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Dunno, never actually allowed it to open it. Will try. Having some other computer trouble at present. Keep picking up a Trojan Horse, which AVG gets rid of, but we do not know where it s coming in from.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
Ok. just turned off Firefox and opened East Cheshire in IE9. Loads up nicely and the pictures seem to come up very quickly indeed.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
Thanks Eric.
I'm very relieved it all works with IE9. I done need any "surprises" like the introduction of IE8.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
Still wish there was some way of changing the way Reviews connects to the Internet.It always wants to use IE which I rarely use these days.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
Have not seen IE9 yet, I use chrome as an alternative browser seems to work well, I have not noticed any problems with Ideas Genie and IE8 yet :)