Author Topic: Computer Crash - Kathy this time  (Read 5304 times)

NightHawk

Computer Crash - Kathy this time
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
Spent most of yesterday trying to get Kathy's PC going again.

The inevitable occurred and a virus had got through her defences.  Windows XP would not boot at all - couldn't even get it into Safe Mode.

I used all my accumulated knowledge of computers but failed miserably.

I first of all tried to eliminate the possibility that it could be physical damage to one or more of the hard drive's sectors.  To this end I ran my trusty Spinrite program that analyses your hard drive for defective areas.  If you recall way back when I posted about my computer crash and how Spinrite got me going again.  Unfortunately in Kathy's case, the result was that there were NO physical errors.

That left me to conclude that it was software related preventing Windows booting.

On Boxing day Kathy did get her Antivirus program alerting her to two trojans trying to gain access whilst surfing the Internet, so got her Antivirus to Quarantine and delete them.
The web sites were fairly mundane really - bathroom fittings as part of our decorating scheme.

I guess we put too much trust in the Antivirus program doing its stuff.  :-\  A Trojan/Virus had to be the most likely cause to create such a devastating problem, but we'll never know.

If I could have got into Safe Mode I could at least have run a Virus scan and probably been able to resolve the problem.  This wasn't to be.

In the end I had to admit defeat, so this morning I rang a computer engineer who came out this afternoon to the house.  I was mainly hoping that he would have in his arsenal some software (that I didn't have) that would magically be able to get back into the system.
He told me that if your PC gets infected by a virus to the extent that the damage it causes prevents Windows from booting, then your only option is to make sure you have adequate backups of important data, then a complete re-install of Windows.

The equipment he brought along enabled him to view the contents of Kathy's infected hard drive, bypassing Windows, and saving them onto a USB Flash Drive.

He then did a re-install of Windows and got it fully working again.

It turns out that the procedure involved is what I could have done with my equipment.  If you recall, I purchased a hard disk enclosure device after my hard disk crashed, which allowed me to view the contents as a normal external hard drive through Windows Explorer.  If the computer engineer had not been able to get the PC going again I was going to remove Kathy's hard drive and put it in this enclosure to retrieve her data then re-install Windows.

As he was here, we decided to let him do this process with his kit to save time.

When the job was completed in about an hour, all he charged us was £60, which we thought was very reasonable considering the work he had to do.

I spent the rest of the day installing other essential drivers and software that Kathy uses and configuring her email client and general stuff like that.  The first job was installing a different Firewall/Antivirus/Antispyware suite - not trusting the previous one.

Anyway, the bottom line here is that no matter how careful you are by protecting yourself with Firewalls, Antivirus and Spyware detection software, there is still a slim chance that something can sneak through.
Regular backups of your most important data is also a big MUST.  I know it can be a pain to schedule this but it does save a lot of headache should the inevitable happen, usually when you least expect it.

Although this has been a hairy experience, I am consoled by the fact that I had done everything I possibly could do in PC security, and that  I had done my best to get it running again.  For the engineer to use a solution I had already considered as a last resort was a relief.

So, if this ever occurs again I now know what process I'm going to follow on my own.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:11:03 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Computer Crash - Kathy this time
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »
Laurie, I shiver when I read that account!
That is very bad luck, but you are lucky that you were able to get the data off the disc, and yes, it was a very reasonable change..

Thanks for posting this. Its a reminder to us all.

You've been let down by the Anti-Virus software and also by what you considered to be a "safe site".
It also makes me wonder what is safe?
Who does these evil things? What satisfaction can they possibly get from it?

That site may have been "hi-jacked". I did have a problem with mysterious code on my website at one time.
Google found it and advised me. Google also informed me that my web site was off their search engine.
Now theres a business show stopper!
Easily, my host, also advised ME, shorty afterwards and advised changing the password and uploading from fresh.

Reading between the lines, my conclusion was that they (Easily) had been targeted and their servers attacked.
That is a mere guess, I hasten to add.

So what is the grudge, or the motive behind these attacks?

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
I wonder all the time what sort of thrill these sick minds obtain from doing this.

Most of the time they can't see the results of what they have done.  Hijacking web sites, as you mentioned George, and putting malicious code into them will cause some problems, so what's the thrill in that.  ???
Other times they'll infect someone's PC by sending email attachments containing viruses, that either get detected by the user or worse to cause a computer crash.  They don't know what the result of their attack has been so what fun is there in that?

All I can say to them is that they need to get a life.  Sitting at their computers aimlessly sending out viruses is a sad state of affairs.  Unfortunately, these sick people are here to stay.

I posted this to highlight how easily we can fall victim to these brainless morons.  But this does not stop us from enjoying the Internet, and they will not drive us away.
All any of us can do is have security software installed and be as vigilant as possible.  Knowing how to deal with the results of their actions is knowledge worth having, so I hope other members who fall victim to virus attacks will know what to do.

I'm now going to give my brain a rest from computers, put my feet up, have a couple of glasses of wine and watch the second part of a two-part TV mini-series remake of The Day of the Triffids;D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:44:01 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »
i am pleased you managed to get things working again, as i am not computer techy minded i think i would have been stuffed and had to call someone out aswell, i have just left a posting on another topic gardening calender, i went to the site to have a look clicked on a seed sowing link and got a popup about a virus and installing this will clean it up, promply close popup to have it re appear, managed to close it second time, currently norton is doing a full scan to be on safe side, i only re subscribed norton before xmass as it was time to, so hopefully it will find what it was and do its job

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »
As I briefly mentioned in another posting this morning, we have taken the plunge and got ourselves two new computers.

Kathy's latest escapade, plus the fan on my old computer (which I had already replaced once before) was wearing out and making strange loud noises, prompted this decision.

We're having great fun familiarising ourselves with the new Windows 7 OS, especially with the tightened security and 'permissions' messages jumping up all over the place whilst transferring old files from our previous computers.  ::)

I'm using the trusty Hard Disk Enclosure piece of kit to good effect.  I've got my old HD installed in it at the moment, so it's easier to drag files across as needed.

As a side-note to George - there's no rush for me to re-register my IG Pro software yet.  After we've moved we'd be starting from scratch with our flower database anyway.  I'll let you know about that when the time comes.

Still doing more configuring and software installations as I type.  Just wanted to catch up with recent Forum postings first.  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
No problem Laurie
We have James on a sleepover, so will do the needful on Licences later

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »

Kathy and Laurie

Are your computers behind a router?

Just interested to know

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »
Yes they are Malcolm.

I have networked them together to share the Broadband connection.  No problems with signal strength and it works out cheaper this way.

We're with Sky and they don't have a problem with this set-up from their customers.  8)

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »

Reason I asked was because I thought there would be extra protection behind a router/firewall.

Mine are all on a wired network and router, including the tv (see another posting)

Malcolm