Author Topic: Dialup and Vista Conflict  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Palustris

Dialup and Vista Conflict
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »
You may or may not kow that Windows Vista is designed to work with Broadband. There seems to be a conflict between it and any Modem based Dialup system. Ours just does not work properly and it mucks around with the Graphics too. For example this page has come up with text big enough even for me to read without my glasses, but previously it was so small I needed a magnifying glass.
We did have an internal modem fitted and it was not good so we went back to an external one. That was even worse so we returned to the internal and for some reason it has decided to work at full speed most of the time. Odd!

NightHawk

Re: Dialup and Vista Conflict
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
I really feel for you there Eric, you seem to be one of many who are in a world of hurt with Vista conflicts.

I don't have Vista (XP user) so I'm not qualified to give any helpful advice or solutions for you.  It could just be driver conflicts for your modem, and may just be a case of installing up-to-date drivers.  :-\

I don't know why it should affect your font sizes in your browser though, there must be something else going on there at the same time.

Hopefully, another Forum member who is a Vista user may be able to shed some light on your problems.

As you say, Vista is designed to work with Broadband, which is now the most popular method for Internet connection and ISP providers are now very competitive in the various packages on offer.

I'm sure you could find a suitable Broadband provider at a reasonable cost.  The added bonus is that it will free up your phone line, and you'll get better connections on the Internet for general surfing and file downloads, and it should sort out your current problems with your modem.

The choice is a personal one and is decided upon how much use you wish to get out of the Internet.

Let's hope someone else can come up with a fix for you in the meantime.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:56:09 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »
RE: Eric
it has decided to work at full speed most of the time
Does that mean you can now do some surfing and browsing the forum again Eric?

I'm afraid I cant help on the Vista issues.
I would suggest going into Start and Control panel and look for Display settings - change the setting to Classic, and see if that helps solve the text problem.

I go along with Lauries suggestions re drivers, but thats up to the manufacturer to provide them.
Phil may be able to help, as he uses Vista.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »
i heard a cry for help, when i was on dial up i had problems connecting to the internet, the solution i found out was the cable that you connect from modem to phone line make sure it was one with 2 wires in it, but that is on my new scaleo p machine, no help there i dont think for you, as i had no trouble with text size etc

i found that if you right click the screen select personalise then theme (6th one down list) (you can also change font size in that personalise section) and change theme to i think it was windows classic or xp, you will see it it took me a while to find it, but once you have changed it to xp look, you will lose the switch between windows thingy you get in vista, but i found that switching to xp theme was the only way i could see all of the text in igpro,

out of xp or vista i prefer xp

hope that helps some way
Phil

ps got broadband now and still using machine with xp theme

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:04 AM »
Cannot have Broadband, too far from the Exchange and in a dead spot as far as Mobile phone connections.
The Drivers for the Modem and the Graphics card were updated 3 weeks ago as part of the attempts to improve the service.
All the 'wires' in the house to the machine are brand new again as part of the process
The screen is already set up as XP Classic view.
We have changed to Mozilla instead of IE 'cos that at least allows you to disconnect and reconnect in the middle of doing something.
Yesterday and this morning it is working well (bow to Hubris). Last night it was appalling, disconnecting every few seconds, failing to find Web pages and tying up in the middle of downloading pages etc.
I can post when it is ok, but not pictures as I cannot even open Photobucket never mind upload to it.
Last time I posted on here it took 40 minutes from start to finish to get the message about out of season flowers up.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »
In view of those exasperating conditions, I have to say I really do appreciate the efforts you make to keep in touch on the forum, Eric.
I hope some day in the near future they will do something to help you in that "blind" communications spot.