Gardens open to the Public > Good gardens to visit (USA)

Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier

<< < (2/11) > >>

bossgard:
Hiking Up, Looking Up (North)

Paving of First Hill Trails prevents erosion of the most used trails.

This hard surface of the trails also provides safety for tourists in particular, as they start their trek upward. The open toed sandals and flip-flops they might be wearing are not adequate on the further trails that they will encounter. It also encourages them to stay on the trails.

'Mount Rainier is a place of great beauty and inspiration. You may be inspired to take a picture or to get a close-up look at a wildflower. But stop and consider your actions before you step off the trail. With each step you take onto a meadow an average of 20 plants are impacted! Subalpine vegetation survives in a harsh environment. With a short growing season, plants take longer to recover from damage. Much of the plant's energy is spent on rapid flowering. Even if a plant survives the weight of your footstep, it may be stunted for years.

So when exploring Mount Rainier's fragile meadows... Please, Stay on Trails.' - National Park Service.

bossgard:

Mount Rainier viewed from Paradise Park.

Notice the signage along the trails. Obey all rules; remember we are protecting this for all of those who will be coming here in the future. Another rule or two to follow: 'If you pack it in, you pack it out!' also, 'Don't feed the wild animals'.

Eric Hardy:
It certainly looks quite a place, Toby. I am amazed to see the trails surfaced, they are much better than the track past my front gate  :)

NightHawk:
Thanks for all that historical info there Toby, and the photos.

I can well imagine that the surfaced paths are necessary to cope with the heavy pounding from all the tourists.

Laurie.

bossgard:

Dead Horse Trail through Paradise Park.

A meadow of Wheat Grass in foreground of this subalpine terrain is mixed with Douglas Fir and Western Hemlock trees. On the right are some mighty Douglas Firs with some Pine Trees in front of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version