Gardens open to the Public > Good gardens to visit (USA)

Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier

<< < (10/11) > >>

bossgard:

Hiking Down, Looking Down (South)

The Building you see below (to the Right) in this photo is the Jackson Visitor Center at Paradise Park with the Tátoosh Range in the background.

The parking lot where we parked our automobile is within walking distance of the Jackson Visitor Center. The elevation there is 5,400 feet above sea level.

Mr. Jackson was a State Senator, representing the State of Washington in Washington D.C., the Capital of the United States of America, for many years. He was most active in securing Federal Government Funds for the development of the Mount Rainier National Park.

Because of him and others like him, we are able to enjoy the beauty of The Mountain'. And a beauty it is. We are so fortunate to have Mount Rainier in 'our backyards' to enjoy forever and ever.

This is the FINAL PHOTO of this series pertaining to the Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier. HB and I hope this presentation was both entertaining and educational for you. We might have some Alpine Meadow (at lower elevations) pics near Mt. Rainier at a future date.

Other future plan for posting photos to the Forum include some additional photos of Soos Creek Botanical Gardens, and then follow those with lots of photos featuring the Kubota Gardens, which is part of the Seattle, WA Parks System. Kubota Gardens is the first and last of any gardens that I have been to and photographed, that gives you a sense of calmness and peacefulness as soon as you enter. The original Mr. Kubota was definitely a Gardening Genius!

We will give you the Kubota Garden’s Website and some past and present history when we post it’s photos.

ideasguy:
Well done Toby. That was indeed a very interesting photographic journey for us and a well documented account of the many delights of nature to be enjoyed in the freshness of your mountain hike.

I look forward with great interest to your forthcoming presentations ;)
Did your hiking buddy accompany you on those garden visits?

bossgard:

George:

You asked if HB accompanied me on the garden visits. Yes, we are a team, and a Hiking Buddy does just that! And, I’m very lucky to have a GOOD one!

I would never think of taking any hike, whether it is in a garden, a nature path, or the ‘Mountain’ without him.  Accidents can and do happen, and its always nice and comforting to think that I have a friend that has the many talents he has.

During the time he spent in military training, he learned wilderness survival skills, map reading skills, life saving skills, and how to live off the land if one becomes lost, and then be able find his way back home. He also serves as my transportation provider, and my note-taker. The picture captions you have read are his work.

One personal thing I will tell you about HB. He lost his father to cancer when he was 16 years of age. A difficult time to loose a father, when a kid definitely needs someone to ask all those growing-up, important questions to. I understand that his Father was quite a guy, a good guy, a wonderful husband, who adopted three children from HB’s mother’s earlier marriage. He fathered three children with HB’s mother, HB being the youngest. His dad’s death, left the mother with 6 children to raise, and yet she worked full time, put food on the table, and paid the rent. HB had to make it on his own. I understand from him, he was the typical teen-ager; and got himself in trouble with the police and escaped by joining the military. He did serve time in Vietnam. He suffers panic attacks and visions from his experience there! And yes, HB’s mother is still with us, she is 88 years young.

With our relationship, HB has found a father-figure that he can share his thoughts with (and I listen), and I have found a great hiking companion and FRIEND! Yes, he is definitely a part of our team. I wouldn’t have it any other way! Thanks, HB!

- Toby

ideasguy:
Your HB sure is a wonderful guy, Toby (and so are you!!).
I'm delighted for both of you, to have forged such a solid relationship.
Long may it continue - my best wishes to you both.

bossgard:

George, to carry out our discussion about the importance of having a Hiking Companion on the trails in the Pacific Northwest one step further, I bring to your attention this short news story, published in the Seattle Times, Tuesday, July 31, 2012:

"Ellensburg

Seattle Hiker dies after fall

A Seattle man has died
while hiking near Cle Elum.

The Kittitas County sheriff’s
office says 54-year-old
Aram “Chris” Abajian apparently
fell down a steep embankment
Saturday in the Mineral Creek area."

Could this unfortunate incident have been prevented, if this gentleman had a hiking companion with him? I would like to think so. More and more we are hearing and reading about these unfortunate events on the trails, and not only with amateur hikers but those with considerable experience.

I still want somebody with me! Thank God for HB!

- Toby

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version