Author Topic: The Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Pixydish

The Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:42:51 AM »
Located in Washington Park in Portland, Oregon this 5 acre garden is an absolute wonder. It has everything from a large waterfall to a small lake (large pond?) with king sized koi who will come up and nibble a finger or two, to a babbling stream through the forest. It even has a traditional Japanese Rock garden and tea house. Beautiful hand carved stone Japanese Lanterns are artistically placed throughout the garden. I took my 13 year old son last spring and he loved it so much he asked if we could create one at our house. There is a small entrance fee, but it is well worth the price.
While you are there, you can visit the famous Portland , Oregon rose test gardens which are just across the street. There is no entry fee and you can see literally hundreds of cultivars of roses in bloom at one time.

I have many photos of the Japanese Garden. Is it possible to post photos on this forum?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:57:15 AM »
Photos, somebody said photos !!!! Guy jumps to his feet in excitement.
Photos of the Japanese Garden in Portland I would REALLY like to see.

Ive had a surf and found their website:
http://www.japanesegarden.com/
I've found that garden before, but it will make it so much more interesting to hear directly from someone who has actually BEEN there and seen it in the flesh. Tell us more, please. e.g. their Japanese maples?

RE: Posting photos on this forum
When you are in edit mode,there are two rows of buttons.
The top row is for text editing (Bold, Italics etc)
Hover over the 2nd button from the right. It says "Insert Image", so try that.

I'll have to give that a go later myself.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 05:25:45 AM »
I've tried using the image button and I can't get it to work. I've tried copying the image and pasting, but this page will not accept a 'paste'. I'm not much of a computer 'geek' so I'm not sure what else to do. But I can email you a few photos, George, and then if you want to post them you can. But I thought there was a concern about the server space?
Of course the Japanese Maples are glorious, but there are probably hundreds of cultivars.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
The image button is for linking to a URL (a web adderss).

For photos, you need to click "Additional Options".
When you do that you click Browse (to browse YOUR computer)
You select a file, then click Post
That will upload the file (the photo) as an attachment, and it will be installed and hosted on this server.

One thing though. Theres a maximum size per photo(128k)
In many cases you will have to adjust your photo to resize it to be acceptable.

Lert me know how you get on with those instructions.

Ive received your photos of Portland Japanese gardens in Portland.
I relation to the above conversation, on examination they range in the main from 192 to 400 kb.
Thus, they need resizing before they will upload. Its not too complicated. Make sure you make a copy and resize your copy, NOT the original. Resizing is irreversible once saved.

The originals are perfect size for Ideas Genie and Flower Genie.
I'm testing Flower Genie at present, so Ive "made" a garden called Portlan Japanese Garden, Oregon, linked all your photos, and ran a lovely slide show!

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 07:22:46 PM »
Here is a photo of a bridge in this garden. Lovely.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »
Hey!! Congratulations!! You have mastered the posting photos technique! Well done... no stopping you now!

Heres my favourite from the bunch of photos you emailed to me yesterday.

Its got everything in the frame. Lovely Japanese maples (silly me, JM's are ALL lovely)
Now theres a real star in there. I love that little tree in the foreground, right of picture.
This is a really good photo M! I bet you couldnt wait to see how it came out. You've obviously angled to get a wide range of things in the photo. Its professional!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:12:37 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 08:10:24 PM »
Here are a couple more.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:12:34 PM »
Hello George! I was going to post that one next! I am terribly fond of that photo. I find that I have to resize more than once with my software to get the photos small enough. I had no idea myphotos were so large!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »
Is that your son on the briodge? I recognise him from the Koi photo.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »
I am not good at reducing photos. I need to work a lot on that.

With my new software came a demo copy of JASC paint shop pro.
I found a trick.
Theres an option to share - send as email when you view a photo.
So, click that, and the program offers the option to send original, or an optimised photo.
Keep as optimised
The program then opens my Outlook and has the email ready to send, with a nice optimised (reduced) attachment
I save the attachment (thank you JASC) in a "Small" folder, and cancel the email!
Works a treat.

The optimised photo is just right for posting on this forum.
Your photo which I posted was reduced by that trick.

Oooooh... love that red maple in your set. Isnt it gorgeous!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:30:05 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »
Yes, that's Andrew on the bridge. He just loved this garden. I had to convince him that stopping in and seeing the garden was worthwhile, as we were driving down to Salem, Oregon to pick up his sister from college and he was anxious to get there. Once inside the garden, however, he was totally enchanted with it. He talked the entire time about how we might create such a garden at our place. Of course, talk is cheap! If I could wave my magic wand and make one appear, he would be thrilled. But the actual work of making a garden like this, even on a smaller level, and then having to wait many years for it to 'mature' is a bit of a downside for him.
I have two photo programs I use: microsoft photoshop and kodak easyshare, which I downloaded for free from the Kodak site. Each of them has their good points. In Easyshare, it is easy to resize photos by going to the 'save as' menu and renaming the new file, then there is a dropdown menu to choose the size of the new file as a percentage of the size of the old file. This is where I have to do two saves sometimes because the options are 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25%. Sometimes none of these is right, but it's only the work of a few clicks of the mouse to get the right size.
I'll post the fish photo. Those Koi were positively tame. Since we visited that garden, Andrew wanted koi for our pond, so we now have 4 koi among our shubunkins and comets.
Here is Andrew communing with the 'head koi'. This fish actually tried to follow Andrew around as we walked along the edge of the pond.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 08:48:40 PM »
Whoops! That's the one with the whole crowd. Here's the one with the Koi-in-charge.