General Category (Open to public) > General discussion (Open to the public)

Opening a section of the forum to Guests

<< < (2/4) > >>

NightHawk:
I tend to agree with George regarding keeping the Forum exclusive, for the reasons he has stated.

Over the many years on the Internet, Kathy and I have had our fair share of various Forums (mainly through our graphics work), and in many cases it has been a nightmare for the owners to control when anyone can participate.  With the best will in the world you will ultimately get the 'idiots', who have nothing to do with the Forum's primary aim and abuse the privileged access.

However, if there's a majority concensus of opinion to open a section of the Forum to the public, then I would say take 'baby steps' to begin with.
See how it goes initially, see if it works, and if problems occur which get out of control then we close the board.

Ultimately though, George has the final say and we must respect his wishes either way.

Laurie.

Eric Hardy:
If I may put in my tuppenceworth, I think it is mainly up to the moderators as to whether they can cope. I was a moderator of a photographic group which was wound up because we all progressed onto other things. I got very tired of dealing with the "Check me out here  ;)" posts that Phil mentions. One particular type kept joining the forum under different guises just to post these. I kept banning him (almost certainly a him) and he would rejoin under a different name. It just got rather boring.

Eric H

ideasguy:
The Guests wont be able to post until they are registered Eric. This new section is for us to share what we post there publicly (in that section only).
Laurie and I well recall the trouble we had with such "off topic" postings before security was tightened!

Eric Hardy:
That is probably different to my old forum where you could just join then post. I found myself delating posts and banning members with monotonous regularity. Unfortunately the "owner" of the site vanished without trace and the other moderator and I could not change the rules. From what you say the "guest" would have to be approved first

Eric H.

ideasguy:
That is correct, Eric.
Theres quite a number of rules/options available to the moderators (Laurie, Andre and me) and the forum software itself is constantly improving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version