Ideas Genie Pro > Backups and Restores

An application for a SWAP database

<< < (2/4) > >>

diegartenfrau:
Hi George,

I want to try to backup my vegetable/swap database, but I am still unsure how to go about it.

You said above, the data would never be mixed, but it would overwrite the data.
But if it overwrites the data, wouldn't I then loose the backup data from the Flower garden database, The original database.

So for example, I made 2nd  Database (Vegetable),  deleted all data about flowers in there, the old database (flower) I deleted all data about the vegetables. Now, I have a backup folder on my flash drive I already backed up my database to. So now I back up my flower data into there, it will overwrite the old data and now this backup only has the flower data on it.
Switch to Swap data base, I want to backup this also. If I back it up to the alternate/flash drive backup folder it would overwrite the flower garden backup, wouldn't it? So do I have to make a second folder on there and what do I name the 2nd backup folder on the Flash drive so it gets still recognized by the program? I can't name it like H:\igdata_sets\backup\igdata because I don't want to backup and overwrite the flowergarden data. But I thought the backup folder had to have the word 'backup' in there so the program knows to backup into it. So I cannot call it 'igdata_set\swap\igdata' right?

Just a bit confused, It is not clear to me how to do that.

Isabell

ideasguy:
I'll try and clarify this, Isabell
RE

--- Quote ---You said above, the data would never be mixed, but it would overwrite the data.
--- End quote ---

When you do a backup into the same folder as a previous backup, then the previous backup is overwritten.

Since you now have two distinct databases, 1) Flower and 2) Vegetable , then you will need to maintain two distinct set of Backups, one for each database.

I would suggest you create the following folders for your backups:
H:\igdata_sets\Backup-flower\igdata
H:\igdata_sets\Backup-veg\igdata

By using this structure H:\igdata_sets\ANYTHING-YOU-LIKE-HERE\igdata you conform to SWAP requirements, and they will appear in the Data Source pop-up in action programs.
In your case (If you have your flash inserted), you will see two new entries in the Data Source Pop-up list, viz:
Backup-flower
Backup-Veg

IG Pro 5 is half way across the Atlantic to you as I write.
When you get it installed, you will find that Backups are now called Backup Folder No 1, and Backup Folder No 2.
As before, in System Paths - GA196 you can configure those paths.
Point Backup Folder No 1 to Backup-Flower, No 2 to Backup-Veg

Finally:
RE

--- Quote ---But I thought the backup folder had to have the word 'backup' in there so the program knows to backup into it.
--- End quote ---
No. It does NOT need the word backup. It can be anything you like.

Does that help, Isabell?

diegartenfrau:
George,

thank you again. Yes, I think that will help. Looks straight forward. I will try it out later.
I will then be able to tell you for sure if it helped >grin<

The IG Pro 5 came yesterday, things come a lot quicker from Irland then from Germany it seems.
I will install that, after I backed up my data.
Will keep you posted.

greetings from today sunny Eugene, OR

Isabell

ideasguy:
Its easy enough when you fully understand things, so dont hesitate to ask.

3 days delivery time Ireland to USA.
That is a record  :)
I count 5 days as a good delivery!
From the same despatch date, Andre got his on Monday as well - 3 days Ireland to Belgium is also good!

Send a little of that sun over here, Isabell! Its a bit wet here, although its not as cold as it was last week.

diegartenfrau:
George,

it won't let me make another folder called H:\igdata_sets  because there is already one of those on the flashdrive. Because the other path is already H:\igdata_sets\backup-flower\igdata
so now I have a folder called H:\New Folder\backup-veg\igdata but that won't work for backing up, right?

I will back it up for now on my other Hard drive, the one the flower data is not on, so I can install the update CD

Isabell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version