Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

First harvest

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
Phil will be pleased to know - the lettuce grown from seed he supplied are now ready for use as of last week (a bit late reporting this due to the World Cup football from South Africa)
Strawberries and Raspberries are also ripe, and Gooseberries are about ready - great refreshment as I mow the lawn - the best bush is right at the edge of the upper garden.
The Cabbage and Cauliflower are being absolutely devoured by caterpillars and slugs. Ive been picking them from the leaves and feel like some kind of mass destroyer. Perhaps our Veggy experts can advise how to grow these things organically ( I dont want to spray something we are going to eat)
Peas and Beans are growing well. Ive been watering them during this dry spell - not nearly as effective as the rain. The rain yesterday has already made a big difference.

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on June 30, 2010, 11:57:09 PM ---.The Cabbage and Cauliflower are being absolutely devoured by caterpillars and slugs.

--- End quote ---
We gave up growing these years ago for this very reason. However courgettes, squashes, cucumbers pumpkins and tomatoes are all progressing well (all grown from seed collected from last year.) Runner beans are beyond the top of their 8 ft canes and waving about with nowhere else to go and flowering - well I suppose 7 ft canes allowing for them being 1 ft in the ground. We have been eating our lettuce and rocket for some time now. Leeks are doing well and we have picked our first punnet of gooseberries. Rhubarb is over but we have enjoyed some fine dishes, especially rhubarb fool which is my favourite. Rasberries and currants are not ready yet. Apples and victoria plums are looking very promising this year. We do grow lots of different herbs.

That about sums up our fruit and veg gardening I am afraid. We gave up greens and root crops years ago, but we do have a very good fruit and veg stall on our market which we visit every Friday  ;) Here is Anthea with her trolley about 4 years ago being served by David in the white shirt - not the same as growing your own I know  ::) !

PS We have been watering like mad for ages!

roiphil:
for my veg i have spuds outside and in my polytunnel down one side a couple tomato plants, lettuce, carrots, salad onions and main crop onions (lots of onions), and some peas outside aswell

newplantguy:
Well I do not have any veg at all at the moment, may do a rasied bed next year.

roiphil:
Yesterday we had a lettuce and spring onions, the spring onions certainly have kick to them (whatch out george dont bite off to much in one go  ;D) cant wait for the maincrop onions to see how strong they are

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version