Ideas Genie Pro > Backups and Restores

An application for a SWAP database

(1/4) > >>

diegartenfrau:
Hi,
I have a question about the swap data base.

I am thinking maybe I should separate my flower garden from the vegetable garden, I just don't like when I look at all the plants in the garden, my vegetables are mixed all with the flowers.

Now I started already making a separate garden areas/bed for different years in the original data base. Now if I make a swap, and I back up all the data to it I will have ALL the data from the original in there, but I only want the vegetable garden info. Is there a way I only can transfer the vegetable garden info? Or do I have to back everything up into the swap and then delete all the flower garden info?

But what happens if I want to back up that info, isn't it then all mixed up again?
Or do I then make a separate backup folder for the vegetable swap and use another for the flower garden?

Just wondering how I would go about that. I don't want to start all over inputting the vegetable garden data. if I don't have to.

Isabell

ideasguy:
Hi Isabell
Ive split the topic where you posted this message, and it is now a NEW topic (i.e. this one).
Its a very interesting posting, but wasnt related to the thread where it was originally posted.
Hope you understand!!

--- Quote ---I am thinking maybe I should separate my flower garden from the vegetable garden, I just don't like when I look at all the plants in the garden, my vegetables are mixed all with the flowers.
--- End quote ---

The key thing here is that you dont want to have flowers and vegetables in the same database. That makes sense.
In a database, the plants are shared by all the gardeners you add to the database.
The only way to separtate the plants is to have two databases.

Currently there  is no way to split the Veg from Flowers.
I frequently DO do that, but I have to write a special, and very specific  program.

Heres how you (and other members) should achieve this configuration.
First make a SWAP database.
The process is already descriobed on this forum, under Ideas Genie. Heres the link:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,210.0.html

Suggestion: Substitute VEGETABLES for SWAP in the example above.

You now have 2 identical databases.
Use GA026 and switch to the VEGETABLES database.
To make VERY sure you know exactly what database you are in:
Add a plant - a Vegetable, which is NOT in the original database.

Use GA026 and switch back to your original database.
The new plant should NOT be there. Its in the other database.

When you can confidently SWAP (SWITCH) between databases using GA026:
Delete all VEG in the original database
Delete all FLOWERS in the VEG database

This process is much easier in IG Pro 5 (and now IG 5)
Ive done extensive work on GA026 and GA201 (the backup program)

--- Quote ---But what happens if I want to back up that info, isn't it then all mixed up again?
--- End quote ---

No, absolutley not.
If you do a backup to a folder, IG will overwrite the old one. It will never merge (mix up) the data.

--- Quote ---Or do I then make a separate backup folder for the vegetable swap and use another for the flower garden?
--- End quote ---
Yes, that is the correct method

diegartenfrau:
Thanks George,

this is exactly how I did it in the end.

So, I will be working on it this week end. I will share what I come up with.
I took this week off, to do whatever I please. No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry. >lol<
After all the holiday craziness, I well deserve it. We had Family here from Midwest for weeks. Last year I never got to do anything on the program there I spend the Time with family in Germany.

Isabell

ideasguy:
It seems this holiday craziness is a universal thing. Somewhere along the way, the meaning of Christmas has been lost, I fear.
Enjoy the well deserved holiday, Isabell  :)

I'm really pleased to see you are getting time to explore IG Pro. The feedback is very much appreciated.

I knew you were originally from Germany. How long have you been living in US?
You have certainly mastered the language very well.
Were you a gardener when you lived in Germany?

diegartenfrau:
The Holiday craziness I think is much worse in the US then in Germany.
Here you go from Thanksgiving right into Christmas. You barely clean up the kitchen from the Thanksgiving Meal and go right into Christmas preparations. Some People, believe it or not, put up their Christmas lights the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day, right after their Meal. Crazy or not?

Sometimes I feel like just dropping Thanksgiving day, it gets in the way of my Christmas mood and starting early on my cookie baking >lol<.
To me as a German,  Thanksgiving doesn't have much meaning aside of eating a nice Meal.
If you believe it, on of the biggest shopping days is right on Thanksgiving day. Americans seem to like to go shop for more stuff on the major Holidays or right the day after.

Christmas seems to be much more of a rush, more commercial in nature over here. Nobody has time to reflect on the season, to slow down and just enjoy the season. It is just a constant rush. I hate to go shopping during this time, I avoid it if I can. The stores are overcrowded, employees are stressed out and it is anything then enjoyable. I buy a lot online nowadays, or buy during the year and stash it away.

I think, the US could use some nice relaxing 'Weihnachtsmarket' like we have in Germany, some hot Cider, burned Almonds and roasted Chestnuts in your hands, enjoying the season outside, looking at handmade crafts. ;)

It will be 25 years in November, since I moved to the US. Not completely native yet, but getting there >lol<
Thanks for your compliment about mastering the language. You know in Germany everybody learns English in School. When I was a kid from 5th grade on, now they start in early Elementary Years. So I had a lot of English knowledge before I came, just not much practice.

Noooo,  ::)I wouldn't have dreamed back then to become a gardener. Gardening to me back then, meant a chore I had to do for my parents (weeding the strawberry bed for example) I did not like working in the garden back then.   ;D

Not until we got our first, very own House did I start gardening. Once I had Kids, I wanted to grow the vegetables I fed them, back then there was no organic veggies to have, US Farmers sprayed the most horrifying chemicals on their crops, Daily News talked about 'Alar' on Apples, other sprays on strawberries, carrots, celery. Especially the food little children eat, were sprayed with pesticides. I wanted to avoid to feed my kids toxins, that's how I started to grow my own food.

Tomorrow I share the garden divisions I made up for the vegetable garden Data base.

Gotta go. Cooking Dinner

Isabell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version