Ideas Genie Pro > Backups and Restores

Backing up and Restoring - Using a Flash Disc (Memory pen)

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
This is by far the easiest way to backup your Ideas Genie Pro data files onto a removable disc, and those little flash discs are very reasonable. You can carry it anywhere in your pocket, handbag or briefcase.

Here's one method. For this to work, use the exact folder names as shown.

1. Create a folder on the Flash Disc (i: drive) called:
igdata_sets
Thats an underscore, NOT a dash. Make sure you name it exactly!!
The full path to this folders is:
i:\igdata_sets

Next make a Sub Folder within that folder called:
backup
The full path to this folders is now:
i:\igdata_sets\backup
Note: You CAN change the folder name backup to another name if you wish, but not the other folder names.

Next make a Sub Folder within THAT sub-folder called:
igdata
The full path to this folders is now:
i:\igdata_sets\backup\igdata

2 Start Ideas Genie Pro (keep the Flash Disc attached)

3 Run program System (menu tab)>System Paths -GA197
In Alternate System Backup Path click Get a directory
Find and select:
i:\igdata_sets\backup\igdata
on the Flash Drive
Click Save Changes. (GA197 closes)

4 Start System > Backups -GA201
Change the Backup to pop-up to Alternate Backup Directory (folder)
Click Do Test
If all files are intact, screen GA201S02 appears.
Click Do Backup

Thats the backup done (In actual fact, you have created a SWAP database)
***************************************************************************************
Restoring
If you want to get techy, the fiddling about you did above is called Configuring the System Paths.
Once the configuring is done for the backup, you dont have to do it again, and you dont have to do any more configuring to restore the files.
If you are moving the files to another computer, then you will need to repeat Step 2 above on the New computer (be sure to attach the Flash to the new computer).

1. Insert the Flash Disc in the drive

2 Start Ideas Genie Pro

3 Start the program:
System>Restore Files>Restore Files-GA203
Change the Restore From pop-up to Alternate Backup Directory
Click on Step1 - Do Test
If the files are intact, screen GA203S02 will appear.
Click Do Restore

Thats it - job done!

greenfinger:
George, this kind of info is very usefull. I've printed it out as I use the flash discs frequently and think Backing up and Restoring IG in this way is an interesting application.
If you hand out these bits info from time to time and bring them together later you have a well written and understandable manual.

ideasguy:
Thanks Andre, and yes, its good User Guide material.
Let me know how it goes for you.

Theres another bonus.
Keep the flash attached to the computer.
Start IG Pro.
Start any Program under the Programs tab
Click on the Data Source pop-up
If you've used the path structure suggested above, you'll see the database on Flash in the pop-up list.
Select it.
The database on hard disc is closed.
The database on Flash is opened
You can actually add, edit and delete the data on the Flash.

Why? You have made what I call a SWAP database.

Let your mind run riot with the possibilities!

bossgard:
Can some of you techie people give me some help, it seems the more I read, the confuse-der I get. I have enuf data entry into IG Pro that I must do Back Ups on a regularly basis for my computer. The computer I am using for Pro is basically dedicated to IG software, although it has software like M/S Office Suite for email, internet access, etc., along with some other garden related software. It isn?t the mechanics that bother me so much, it is the where-as?s and what-for?s. I?ll be burning with a Sony 18X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive using Roxio Creator 8 software. I have Memorex DVD+R DL  recorders (disks). The Roxio offers Automatic Data Protection for scheduling regular back up of all files. Also, One Button Backup to perform an immediate backup using Backup MyPC?s default settings, or Backup Wizard if I would like help stepping through the backup and control over what gets backed up, when the backup occurs, and choice of options. With One Button Backup a full backup will be performed if 10 differential backups have been performed since the last full backup, or if seven days have passed since the last backup.

I will be storing the Backup DVD?s off premises from my office, which is a nearby garage. I also understand that there is a way to use a series of several DVD?s for backup, and by using them in sequence, ie., diskette #1 for the first, #2 the next, #3 the next and then reusing (re-writing) #1 again for the next backup after that. If I am prompted to insert another DVD, then it would be considered part of the #1, or #2 or #3 set (burn). (I hope I?m making sense.) I believe the reason for doing this way as I understand, is if I get a bad burn, I can go back and use the preceding good burn.

What I would like to do is perform a complete backup every seven days at the time I select. I?m hitting the data entry on a regular basis, a couple of hours each morning. Would every seven days be often enough to do a backup? I would like to do the backup as simply as possible, and still be protected. Many, many thanks for helping me out!

ideasguy:
Hi Toby
The most important thing about backups is being able to restore them!

In my profession, Ive worked with Database Administrators who have had the misfortune to find their backups are worthless.
The situation is where a server hard disc has failed.

In my opinion, backups should be tested regularly. This is best done on a "fresh" computer.
You should be able to safely restore the data from the backup media onto the fresh computer.
In one software house where I worked, we offered a "fresh" computer for that purpose for clients, one of which was a local Bank.
They had a procedure whereby once every 3 months they brought along their backups and restored them onto the "fresh" computer.

In the home PC environment? A second computer may be required.
OR
Immediately a good backup is done, restore important sections from it. That in itself has some risks - e.g. if the backup is flawed.

Its much easier with IG Pro data, I'm pleased to say.
The process described in this thread is absolutely fail safe, since you can actually point IG to the backup data on the Flash (using the SWITCH program FG026 in FG, GA026 in IG, IG Pro and Bonsai Genie) open it, and play with it.
It can also be restored using the method described.

Have you tried the backup to Flash Toby? Comments from members would be much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version