Author Topic: suprise plant!  (Read 5453 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
suprise plant!
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
We discovered a peony we don't recall ever having flowered before.  It is growing alongside another normal pink coloured one.  They tend to get swamped by weeds and other plants being in a bed that doesn't get attention early enough in the season.  I don't remember ever buying this so I have no idea if it's a particular named variety.  I shall try and look after them better from now on, although they are supposed to thrive on benign neglect ;)  The one at our last house certainly did.

struggling through the macleaya...

The tree peony that I planted out further along the same border is also in bud, and also in need of some attention!

The fattest and most scrumptious of all flowers, a rare fusion of fluff and majesty, the peony is now coming into bloom.
–Henry Mitchell, American writer (1923-93)

Offline Palustris

Re: suprise plant!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
It could be a seedling. Friends of ours have a lovely peach coloured one which is definitely a hybrid as it grows between two of different hues.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
The photo is a little on the bright side, Trish. If it is still in flower, can you get another one for comparison?

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »
I'll go and see in the morning, weather permitting.  I sent Rog to take a few photos for me and he didn't quite do them all as I would have liked, so ideally I need to make a return trip. 

We went for a trek up to the hill Tuesday afternoon (I daren't go up there on my own as it's steep in places and not level underfoot) so I could see how the field is coming along.  He'd strimmed a few paths and intended to improve them with the mower but the new mower (a replacement after a burglary last year) isn't up to the job in the same way as the old one was so he's going to have to do more work with the strimmer. 

We need to cut some proper paths so that we can explore and see what plants are hidden amongst the grass.  We also need paths to encourage the glow worms to strut their stuff :)  I didn't manage to get far onto the hillside but I did spot several species one of which was ajuga.  He tells me there is hay rattle near the top but I really want photographic evidence, which was why I sent him back up the garden to photograph that along with other interesting things we'd noticed or I wanted a record of.  I was completely exhausted and couldn't go back myself, it's quite a long walk for a doddery thing such as myself.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
Don't go to too much trouble Trish. Rog might get a better pic on a duller day. My own preference is to take photos when the sun goes behind a cloud - not much of a problem here in Ireland ;D
He'd strimmed a few paths and intended to improve them with the mower but the new mower (a replacement after a burglary last year) isn't up to the job in the same way as the old one was so he's going to have to do more work with the strimmer. 
I sympathise on all counts there. It must be very annoying for Rog. A good lawnmower makes the job less of a chore.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
Rather an incomplete bloom and no better a picture than before really

and at last a bloom (amongst weeds again!) on the tree peony down the garden (we also have one growing in a large pot on the patio, but that has no flowers open yet this year)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
That Paeony is familiar. Sure we have something like it. Not that it helps much, most of ours are no longer labelled.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
We love Peonies, Trish. We planted a couple of very small tree peony plants four years ago. They have plenty of healthy leaves but are still not much more than 18 inches tall. Has anybody any idea how long it might be before we can expect a bloom or two?

Eric H
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:00:16 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
We love Paeonies, Trish. We planted a couple of very small tree paeony plants four years ago. They have plenty of healthy leaves but are still not much more than 18 inches tall. Has anybody any idea how long it might be before we can expect a bloom or two?

Eric H

Both of my plants started in pots and have always flowered since purchase.  The one I planted down the garden needed to be let loose or repotted which would have been tricky.  The one still in a pot has now really reached the same stage and reluctantly will have to be dealt with one way or another soon.  I like having it near the house though because the leaves are rather elegant even when it's not in bloom.  I don't know why yours are reluctant to flower though;  do they seem otherwise healthy?

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
  I don't know why yours are reluctant to flower though;  do they seem otherwise healthy?
Yes, they are certainly healthy. I wish now we had splashed out on some larger plants. These were one of these "too good to miss" offers where we bought pretty immature plants for next to nothing. Of course we now have to be patient until they mature. Perhaps we should have nursed them along in pots before planting them out.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »
Rather an incomplete bloom and no better a picture than before really

Its a much better photo Trish! Many thanks for going to all that trouble.

I will send an email to Paul (NewPlantGuy) and ask him to visit.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 11:08:09 PM »
Hi Trish interesting Peony, I like these plants, yours is a hybrid or seedling I cannot name it exactly so you should continue to grow it as a separate plant it would be a good idea to mark it or label it so that it can be found again. I would be interested to see how it develops. Regards Paul