Bonsai Genie > Bonsai Corner

New bonsai forum

(1/4) > >>

bonsai:
Hi ideasguy and hi forum

I'm a german bonsai gardener (so please excuse my bad english  ;) ) and I'm very pleased to be the first to post in this section.

@ideasguy - I think you know who I am  ;D

I hope we will have a lot of interesting threads here in the future. To all people who are interested in bonsai please also have a look to the "Bonsai Genie Forum". There's a nice piece of software coming up!

ideasguy:
Hello and welcome Peter, and thanks for joining us.

You have absolutely no need to apologise for your English translations. Its perfect! Its too easy for us to overlook the ability of those whose first language is not English to communicate fluently in our language on a forum. I for one am in awe!

RE: Bonsai Genie - the nice piece of Software - indeed, and very much thanks to you. I hope it meets your satisfaction. I'm looking forward to your assessment.

I'm sure we will indeed have interesting threads on Bonsai here.

I've a few questions for you, to start things off.
I have a number of Acer cultivars in pots. When's the best time to prune them?
I'd like to train them to be a mass of foliage, small (no more than 3-4ft)
Do I need to root prune them to keep them at that height in pots?

I'm also hoping to plant some of them this year. When do you recommend I should do that?

Next, I have one planted and want to transplant it. Again, when do you recommend I should do that?

Do you have Acers in your collection? I'd love to hear more about what you grow.

bonsai:
Hi George,
I thank you very much for your warm words  ;D

Do you want to hold your Acer in the pots or should they end in the garden?
Anyway, you should repot, plant or transplant them in the early spring (when frost is gone) and before they will begin to shoot.
Also this is the best time to cut branches you don't want. If you want them to grow in a pot you should prune up to a third of the roots and repot in new soil. This has actually nothing to do with the height of the plants.
Ok, I don't think you want to have bonsai, but if you want them densely foliated you should cut every new sprout between the first pair of leaves. You can do this with a pincer or with your fingernails. Otherwise they will have long shoots between every pair of leaves. And don't forget, in june they will have a second shootout so you have to do this as well.

Yes I have Acers in my collection. I'll try to post some pictures in the post (this will be a good exercise  ;) )

Here we have a common local Acer found as a seedling in my garden 2002:

And a Japanes maple (Acer palmatum)

I don't know if it worked to attach the pics, I can't see them in the preview  ::)
Otherwise I'll try again...

bonsai:
Ok here's the second picture of the common local Acer (I hope)

bonsai:
And the Japanese maple...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version