Garden Buildings, Garden Tools and Equipment > greenhouses

garden UF?O

<< < (2/6) > >>

greenfinger:
Héhé, that's nice! You give me some idea there.
Is that on the plot you will leave at the end of the year?
The green box next to your tomato house is that perhaps a waste bin transformed in a watertank?
If you have other pictures of your allotment, please transmit them. Expensive books are written about them these days. And with good reason: they are sources of ideas and interesting time documents.

greenfinger:
The dog, is it a border collie, a sheepsdog? I happened to see a program about them just an hour ago, made in Scotland.

Kew:
The greenbin is a wheely bin I picked up for ?2 from the council. They changed to bar-coded ones and sold off the old ones. I'm a great believer in that when it rains plants know that and 'open up' ready to drink. Bearing that in mind and also because I couldn't get to the plot daily, I modified the bin by putting a tap at the top, and a tap at the bottom. The bottom one I used to water as far as the pipe would reach, but the top outlet was the good part; When it rained, the bin filled up and rather than let the excess water go to waste, I piped it into the 'greenhouse' so that the over flow went to the tomato plants at a time the plants knew it was raining.
The plot I sadly left at the end of December, mainly due to thieves... :(
The dog is my pal, Ski, and yes, she's a Border Collie with 2 1/2 brain cells more than me.....quite good with sheep too!
I'm sure I have a few more pics of my allotment...if anyone wants to see them I'll do a search....I doubt they're of interest to anyone but me, tho'.

greenfinger:
So my guess was right. I think we should start a topic with the most original gardening tips. This one with the greenbin would be a very good one. First you have to think it over, keeping your eyes open when there is an occasion to buy such a thing for 2 euro's and knowing how and where to put taps in the plastic. A ready made water tank normally costs about 100 euro's!
I think you have something like a survivor's mind. And you write Ski is even better...
I understand you've already left the plot. Are you going for another one?
Speaking for myself I'm always interested in pictures of allotments. The reason for that interest is exactly what we have discussed: the originality of what people can do with simple materials and techniques and having good harvests of their own.

Kew:
Growing your own isn't always cheaper depending on what you're growing but it's certainly healthier and more satisfying. Over time it does become profitable but initially it does cost money to get things up and running and the soil in good order. This is the real reason most allotment people come up with some very good ideas to keep costs down. Home made tools are in many cases better than bought ones. I made a hoe from an old silver spoon! to go between my carrots...it worked a treat and cost nothing.
A thread on garden/allotment tips is a good idea. Many people are put off growing their own simply because they don't know how. A little help and encouragement might be the only thing missing to get more people into this great and profitable past-time. Companion planting is a not very well understood procedure and yet it's so simple. I wonder if there is enough support here for such a thread. I'll certainly help out where I can on the vegetable side. Having grown veg for 50 year or more I might be able to answer the odd querie.
I could get another plot tomorrow...one a little nearer to home but I need to get the next 3 months out of the way first...I have a course to follow starting next month. I'll see about it after that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version