Plants > Penstemon

Edward Wilson - famous Penstemon plant breeder

<< < (2/4) > >>

NightHawk:
We bought three Penstemon plants from a local garden centre here last year.

They survived the winter, but to fair it wasn't really a bad one.

All three are currently blooming their socks off, but until I can check out the labels I don't know any of their names.

Like Jean, Kathy has had no luck whatsoever in getting Penstemon cuttings to take.  She has used several techniques, from suggestions on Gardener's World programs to gardening magazines.

Anyway George, as regards photographing them - no go at the moment.  Weather is atrocious.  Strong winds the last few days, and it's raining heavy right now.  Will have to wait for better conditions before we can give you our offerings for the database.

Laurie.

Palustris:
Just had a look through my photos and you should already have the ones I have taken.

Eric Hardy:
Sadly we have no penstemons this year. I had a search through my photos to see what I could find and could only come up with two, both taken in October. This one was taken way back in 2002

and this one in 2009

Sorry, I have no details
Eric

ideasguy:
Good morning folk, and thanks for your responses.

I'll check out your CD when I'm pulling all this together Eric (Palustris).
Did you ever try propagating them? I haven't and from the gardening info, I assumed they were easy to propagate from cuttings. Apparently not, from the replies so far.
I'll be taking lots this year, so tips (pun?) will be much appreciated.

I'm hoping to do that long awaited upgrade to Ideas Genie this winter and all photos will be greatly appreciated and CD's or Flash Drives are the best thing to use for sending photos (of all plants, not just penstemons of course) which members would like to share on the Master Database.
If anyone sends a Flash Drive (Eric's method) I will return it with the latest copy of the Master Database.

We had NO RAIN yesterday Laurie and warm - the first day for ages ::) and we even had bursts of... SUNSHINE :o
I made hay while the sun was shining as it were, hence only getting to reply now. Its dry and cloudy this morning but bright and I do see some blue skies with a few rays penetrating now and again! Rain forecast for the afternoon :(

I took a photo of a rather special Penstemon yesterday!
http://bloomsofbressinghamplants.com/products/details/194/6/perennials/penstemon-%27sweet-joanne%27.html
I can vouch for the hardiness! It has a lovely habit and its in full bloom and glory at present.
This was sent to me by Paul (NewPlantsGuy on the forum) as a small plug plant.

And now to Eric Hardy - congratulations on being the first to post a photo in this topic Eric!
Beautiful - both plants and photos! Excellent photography as always.
I'm particularly fond of the pale pink varieties with white throats, and you've captured that one perfectly.

Hope you have a better day today Laurie! I hope yours don't get battered to the horizontal!

NightHawk:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on July 03, 2012, 09:15:11 AM ---Hope you have a better day today Laurie! I hope yours don't get battered to the horizontal!

--- End quote ---
Afraid not George.  Not as windy today, but it's still raining  :'(

The stems seem to be holding up quite well at the moment, but we do have metal ring supports around them so I think that's helping.

No sign of rain letting up just yet so nothing doing in the garden today I fear.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version