Ideas Genie > What we do with Ideas Genie

Linking to documents within ALL Genie software products

(1/2) > >>

ideasguy:
I had an enquiry from a new user today:

RE: 
--- Quote ---...which I have created in My Documents. I do not see a link to these files as like you have for photos. Maybe I can copy and paste my document file?
--- End quote ---
Linking to documents is very easy if you know your way around he folders on your computer.

In the text regions of any screen which takes a "blob" of data, you can type in the file names, preceded by:
File:///
This prefix activates the text, making it into a clickable link, exactly like a web link, which then opens the document in a web browser window

This applies to Bank Genie and all the Gardening Software programs

The only snag is, you need to replace any spaces with
%20
You also need the full path to the document, and its extension.
Note also that you can use forward slashes

Heres a few examples:
Web link
http://www.ideasforgardens.net

A Word document
file:///f:/cd%20labels/SWAP-Brian%20Denison/BrianDenison.DOC
Note the space between cd and labels replaced with %20

An htm file on a local drive (in this example, a link to a htm page created using the Web page Generator - WPG- in Ideas Genie Pro/Bonsai Genie)
file:///c:/igdata_sets/web/palustris/index.htm

An image
file:///C:/igdata_sets/web/palustris/JULY012008%20015.JPG

A text file
file:///f:/links/norway-denmark-sweden/links.txt

Excel file
file:///f:/myExcelFiles/links.XLS

Useful?

Djem:
That definetly works for a word document.

for the one note files the path would be something like this.

File:///C:\Users\Me\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Garden\Current Plantings\Perennials\14Stonecrop\1PinkChablis

The last three 'switches' are what you see as a path name inside of one note (\Perennials\14stonecrop\1Pinkchablis) but you cannot link that deep
outside the application, I can link to the 'Current Plantings' notebook, but not the sub sets.  Perennials would be a main 'tab', 14Stonecrop means it is the 14 page I've added to Perennials, and 1Pinkchablis is the first sub page.

It was a good try.  I can copy all the text into genie, I'd just lose all the nice formatting and embedded photos.  I'll have to remove all the photos and put them in a picture directory.

ideasguy:
Can you export the OneNote document as a HTML file Julie?
If yes, that will keep all the formatting and the images, and you can link to it using the File:/// method

Djem:
I am doing some digging into the directory structure to see if there is a way to at least get to the 'perennials' part.  If it displays the structure internally there must be a way to access it externally.  This is forcing me to learn how Windows 7 works (or should I say 'hides things for your own greater good', which is some thing I've stubbornly avoided for the last few months since I've gotten the new laptop.

There is a feature to publish to blog which I am also going to look into tonight.

ideasguy:
Do you have problems acessing MS OneNotes externally from other programs Julie?

RE:
--- Quote ---or should I say 'hides things for your own greater good"
--- End quote ---
I know exactly what you mean. Its the cause of many support problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version