Ideas Genie > What we do with Ideas Genie

Using IG for Vegetable garden

(1/5) > >>

diegartenfrau:
Has anyone tried to use the IG or IG pro for keeping track of their vegetable garden?
I am trying to make it work so I can see, where I planted what Vegetable, for Rotation purposes. When to plant, when to harvest. Spray schedule.Having the info on each vegetable in a profile. Keeping track of everything related to vegetable gardening.

Did anyone try that? Would it be managable? Could it be done?

Isabell

ideasguy:
There are a number of options Isabell.
I'll make my suggestions, and I hope other members will chip in with their ideas.

The suggestions below apply to Flower Genie, Ideas Genie, IG Pro and Bonsai Genie

I would recommend Option 2

You can have:

Option 1)  one database with:
1a) one Gardener for your plants garden
1b) Multiple Gardeners for your Vegetable Garden e.g.
My Garden 2005 - With Garden areas, and Veg planted in the Garden areas in 2005
My Garden 2006 - With Garden areas, and Veg planted in the Garden areas in 2006

Option 2) one database with:
2a) one Gardener for your plants garden
2b) ONE Gardener for your Vegetable Garden
Garden Areas organised by Bed
------------- Bed 1 ------------------------
Bed 1 2005 - Veg planted in Bed 1 in 2005
Bed 1 2006 - Veg planted in Bed 1 in 2006
------------- Bed 2 ------------------------
Bed 2 2005 - Veg planted in Bed 2 in 2005
Bed 2 2006 - Veg planted in Bed 2 in 2006

You can use Garden Dividers (the dashed lines) to segregate these by Year (below), or by Bed (above)

2c) ONE Gardener for your Vegetable Garden
Garden Areas organised by Year
------------- 2005 ------------------------
Bed 1 2005 - Veg planted in Bed 1 in 2005
Bed 2 2005 - Veg planted in Bed 2 in 2005
------------- 2006 ------------------------
Bed 1 2006 - Veg planted in Bed 1 in 2006
Bed 2 2006 - Veg planted in Bed 2 in 2006

Use Shuffle buttons to arrange beds and dividers.
It will be easy to change between 2b) and 2c)

The above mixes all plants together in one database, Flowers + vegetables.
If you dont want Flowers and Veg appearing in the same database, then Option 3 is the solution.

Option 3)
You set up 2 databases on your hard disc. One for Flowers etc, one for Veg.
The second database is essentially a SWAP, on your hard disc, or Flash!
See other threads on how to make a SWAP.

Option 4)
Since Flower Genie is pretty forgiving with plant names, it wont mind if you throw a lettuce at it!
Use Flower Genie for Veg and IG for Flowers etc.
Same Gardener/Garden Area set up as in above

Option 5)
I start writing Veg Genie!

Finally, following the suggestions in 1 and 2 for Gardener/Garden Area set up in any combination (provided the Vegetable plants are in the same database) you will be able to select a plant and click on the "Who has this" button (in most programs) and this will  show you the history of Gardener/Garden Area for the selected plant.
e.g. for potatoes, it will show which garden areas they have been planted in over the past years in your records.

Comments from all please! We need you to join in.

diegartenfrau:
Hi George,

I've been playing a little bit with putting my veg garden into the database. I started to put the two Vegetable garden areas upper and lower veg garden. then I added the beds, numbering them from 1-13 for the upper, including the year 2006 (Bed 1-2006) after I did that, I thought. I need to not just keep track of the year, but also the seasons. We have a long growing season here, so my garden get's going from early spring until fall, even through the winter. I still have lot's of lettuce and other cool season stuff growing right now. So now I have to rethink that again.

Your idea of writing Veg Genie, is sounding better all the time ;D

I got a very large vegetable garden. On top I have 13 beds, on lower garden so far 9. right now I have over 1000sqft, but there is still more room to grow more. So thinking I will have to put in all that data, for each year, each bed, for every season. It's making my head spin ::)

So, doesn't look like there are other vegetable garden users out there. No other response to my question so far.

I will have a cappucino now

Isabell

ideasguy:
Just so we understand - which option did you go for Isabell? One of the ones I posted, or something else?
Does it look practical?

RE: Veg Genie
Well, if you can tell me what you want, I may be able to develop a special program.
Incidentally, I do have a very rough cut Garden Planning module.
I havent worked on it for about a year now, but it was looking OK. Nothing flashy, no 3D, no what your veggies will look like at night etc.  ;D) but it looked practical, and may have been good for Veg gardening.
I was at the stage of linking it to the plants in IG.
It may be some time before I get back to it though.

One customer made a drawing of his garden and scanned it into the computer, and used the lassooing feature to identify the plants.
That would be a good idea for you to adopt. Perhaps a drawing of each bed.
More fun!

I'm really pleased to read how you grow your own vegetables. I suspect that practice is dying out over here. People just take the easy option and buy from supermarkets.
Is vegetable gardening popular in your region of US?

Do you work more in the veg patch than in the flower patch?

I think you have earned that cuppa!

Kew:
Until very, very recently I grew masses of veg. I'm not as yet into the FG programme so I'm not too certain of how it operates yet, but a dedicated veg 'section' run as per FG would be very popular, I have no doubt about it.
Each year, possibly due to the organic and environmental thing, we see more and more people taking up allotments and turning back gardens into profitable fruit and veg areas. A look at the garden sites on line quickly shows how many new people are taking up this past-time and especially so of those in early retirment, a army of people constantly seek advice in the fruit and veg forums.
A winner, no doubt!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version